Suggetions on Mesh Avatar Issues. Neck problem or Clothes Don't Fit

BobCates

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1221 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

19 hours ago, Marianne Little said:

Very good! The "splayed fingers" is another of the quirks the Belleza body has.

I do not know if you have an Animation override? An AO replaces the default stands and walks with other movements. The new AO's made to be used with mesh avatars is marked "Bento". They animate the fingers too. I have low budget suggestions, if you need them. But if money isn't an issue it is just to go to any AO store and demo them.

The splayed fingers issue can come back when you log out and in again. Reset the AO.

Thanks for the heads up.

I see what you mean.  I have a non bento animation from my previous avatar but the fingers are still splayed.

I went ahead and went to a place called  Tutty Bento and picked up a freebie (sit, walk, dance) animation.  Nothing fancy but no longer splayed fingers 🙂.

I may go and get one of the other walk animations from them though as I like a walk more with hands out of pockets.

Screenshot_2.jpg

Edited by BobCates
  • Like 1

Are mesh clothes set for a certain body size?  Or are they supposed to stretch to fit? 

On my new Jake body, I put on the mesh shorts that came with the body.  Seems to work fine when walking, running.

I decided to add some more padding on my tush.  Now when running, with each jogging step, part of my bun shows 😁.  Funny, but not what I intended.

I did compensate using alpha cuts.  But I'm curious about the mesh fit question after adding just a little padding to my body.

Unfortunately, I don't have a photo to illustrate because this only happens when I"m in motioning, running.

59 minutes ago, BobCates said:

Are mesh clothes set for a certain body size?  Or are they supposed to stretch to fit? 

On my new Jake body, I put on the mesh shorts that came with the body.  Seems to work fine when walking, running.

I decided to add some more padding on my tush.  Now when running, with each jogging step, part of my bun shows 😁.  Funny, but not what I intended.

I did compensate using alpha cuts.  But I'm curious about the mesh fit question after adding just a little padding to my body.

Unfortunately, I don't have a photo to illustrate because this only happens when I"m in motioning, running.

That really depends on the creator rigging it correctly for each body.  Some do it better than others.  When you try demos for your particular body, be sure to move around and look from different angles.

4 minutes ago, RowanMinx said:

That really depends on the creator rigging it correctly for each body.  Some do it better than others.  When you try demos for your particular body, be sure to move around and look from different angles.

Good tip.  I think in the case, I adding the padding on my tush and also a running AO that leaned forward more.  Thus, splitting my pants when moving 🙄.  The shorts I wore came with the Jake body.

1 hour ago, BobCates said:

Good tip.  I think in the case, I adding the padding on my tush and also a running AO that leaned forward more.  Thus, splitting my pants when moving 🙄.  The shorts I wore came with the Jake body.

It doesn't mean the person who made them was all that good at rigging mesh.  It's hit or miss with most items.  Keep trying!  Or use alpha cuts.

6 hours ago, BobCates said:

Yes and no... You need to understand how 3D model rigging works for this to make sense.

Everything in SL is made from mesh. Each item/thing is a collection of vertices (points) connected as triangles that ends up looking like a fish net (mesh).

The avatar body is a collection of points. Each point carries a set of 4 numbers, the rigging, that tells the computer how to move the individual point when the bone it is connected to moves. Near the elbow points make be rigged to two bones to make a flexible joint.

The SHAPE tells the computer where the starting place for the point is. Shape sets the point in relation to the bone. Make a fatter avatar and the points gets moved farther from the bone. Rigging moves the point with the bone. The point moves the same amount whether fat or skinny.

Clothes points need to use the same 'rigging' numbers as the body. If the clothes numbers are too small, the body will move more than the clothes and poke through. BUT... the clothes are rigged to the bones NOT the body's skin. So, skin is rigged to the bones and clothes are rigged to the bones. Clothes don't know about skin and skin does not know about clothes. No way to stretch.

Body makers provide Dev Kits so clothes developers can match the rigging numbers of their points to the rigging numbers of the body. Clothes are therefore made for a specific body.

Both body and clothes are rigged to bones that are affected by shape sliders.

Nothing stretches. Everything is mathematically related to the avatar skeleton. As long as the clothes and skin are rigged with the same values the skin stays inside the clothes.

21 hours ago, Nalates Urriah said:

Yes and no... You need to understand how 3D model rigging works for this to make sense.

Everything in SL is made from mesh. Each item/thing is a collection of vertices (points) connected as triangles that ends up looking like a fish net (mesh).

The avatar body is a collection of points. Each point carries a set of 4 numbers, the rigging, that tells the computer how to move the individual point when the bone it is connected to moves. Near the elbow points make be rigged to two bones to make a flexible joint.

The SHAPE tells the computer where the starting place for the point is. Shape sets the point in relation to the bone. Make a fatter avatar and the points gets moved farther from the bone. Rigging moves the point with the bone. The point moves the same amount whether fat or skinny.

Clothes points need to use the same 'rigging' numbers as the body. If the clothes numbers are too small, the body will move more than the clothes and poke through. BUT... the clothes are rigged to the bones NOT the body's skin. So, skin is rigged to the bones and clothes are rigged to the bones. Clothes don't know about skin and skin does not know about clothes. No way to stretch.

Body makers provide Dev Kits so clothes developers can match the rigging numbers of their points to the rigging numbers of the body. Clothes are therefore made for a specific body.

Both body and clothes are rigged to bones that are affected by shape sliders.

Nothing stretches. Everything is mathematically related to the avatar skeleton. As long as the clothes and skin are rigged with the same values the skin stays inside the clothes.

Thanks for the detailed explanation  Was very helpful for understanding.

• Thanks 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1221 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.