Creating new rp sim

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 166 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Now that land is becoming available again, I'm hoping to open my own rp SIM. It's a simple small town theme. I've gathered buildings, roads, decorations, and made a website. All the thing i feel are obvious.

I've never ran my own SIM before and was wondering if anybody out there had any tips or know anything that i should have ready before i start. Like how to get traffic or anything. Thank you in advance.

Edited by ChaosRaine
  • Like 1

I suggest RENTING instead of buying to start. There are a ton of RP sims out there and many close fairly quickly. The creators still hopefully enjoyed their time making their visions come true, but purchasing a sim is a fairly expensive step -- especially as you say when you haven't run a sim before (that is REGION for Patch). 

- Give yourself a budget and time limit on how long you're willing to pay for it if it does not flourish. These things take time, both to build and advertise so you should be prepared to give it at least several months. 

- Make sure it is in your long term budget to pay out of pocket for the entire sim, and you are not going to rely on rentals or donations. Very very few sims can sustain themselves on croudfunded Linden or rentals. 

- Get familiar with the various groups in world that allow advertising for RP sims. Each one has its own rules and community and it pays to tailor your ads to each one. 

- Talk to people in those communities about your plan, bring on help or trusted friends to spread the workload around who share your passion. 

- If you sim is similar to others out there, highlight what makes it different or unique. There are a dozen small town sims set in a modern setting with Emergency services as a primary focus, for example. 

- Be consistent in your marketing. Do your best to attract players who like what your offering rather than flexing to fit those who don't. 

That's all the general advice I have, but I will also echo renting a sim (or homestead) rather than purchasing at first too. 

• Like 3
  • 3 weeks later...

From the standpoint of a roleplayer, I have two big pieces of advice.

1. If you have any kind of story, make it easy to get into. No one wants to read a novel, and strict and rigid stories can push players aware if they feel like they can't jump in.

2. Have something to do. There are a ton of little town sims, full of little houses for people to store their avatars in. What you need are active events, passive exploration and interaction options, and a general reason for people to leave their houses without teleporting out.

You can have a silly newspaper with classified, articles from participants, and story updates. You could leave items all over to sim to be found and interacted with. You could set up things like a fire safety activity at the fire hall that kids can experience and learn about making emergency plans. Whatever it is, having things people can do on their own between live events or in small roleplay groups will make your town stand out from every other town?

• Thanks 1
You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 166 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.