New updated enviroments

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1216 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

The Windlight they acquired was only a subset of the promised functionality, some of which finally, 13 years later, is represented in EEP. (EEP also has a bunch of additional features that I never heard anybody talk about, back when Windlight was first introduced in SL.)

Most notably, like EEP settings now, SL Windlight settings were always intended to become first class inventory assets (instead of being traded around as samizdat XML files). I remember Torley talking about it in several of his in-world office hours, back when everybody was clutching their pearls because suddenly the evil new Windlight made all their creations look like crap.

3 hours ago, NiranV Dean said:

Not really. Windlight was complete. What you heard was probably the fact that Windlight (the original one outside of SL that they acquired) was more than what we got in SL. Like with many things, the WL implementation in SL is just a massively dumbed down version of what the original was supposed to be

13 hours ago, Chic Aeon said:

OK. A little research tells me that my memory was pretty much correct.

windlight.thumb.jpg.70aee0fb3cf9e1d0e3e5f9d454b05b99.jpg 

I remember them as really ugly but glad you have better memories. 

http://wiki.secondlife.com/wiki/History/WindLight

https://lindenlab.wordpress.com/2007/05/21/windlight-atmospheric-rendering-comes-to-second-life/

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Just wanted to say that "I" am at least happier (would have been absolutely fine with no changes from Windlight at all mind you) now that Gage's idea got my sun actually working as a sun and I can have contrast in my days --although possibly not as much as in Windlight as i haven't tested yet. 

So I am going to try and be accepting of what we have (or for many of us will eventually have) as that's what we signed up for.  The TOS gave LL total control long, long ago and we "agreed" to go along with that.  If we are lucky they will fix the still glaring issues of moons and such and hopefully some framerate fixes for the folks having that problem. Fingers crossed. 

Let's make the most of our time here. 

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

36 minutes ago, Chic Aeon said:

Can anyone tell me what Droplet Radius or Ice Level is supposed to do?  I can't see any changes and the info seems to be missing from the Knowledge base.

Thanks. 

I'd like to know too. I've fiddled with it quite a bit and I can't see that it does anything. Perhaps its just an option for a future feature?

• Thanks 1

On 12/10/2020 at 5:20 PM, Silent Mistwalker said:

That and Niran isn't exactly easy to deal with. Not dissing Niran. Just stating an observation made over many years.

But you are basing your observations on public media, which isn't exactly a good indicator for anything.

About support i can't say anything because self-praise stinks but i'd guess the users are quite happy.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

15 hours ago, Chic Aeon said:

Can anyone tell me what Droplet Radius or Ice Level is supposed to do?  I can't see any changes and the info seems to be missing from the Knowledge base.

Playing around with these settings, it appears that Droplet Radius seems to slightly "focus" the rainbow that appears around the sun when the Moisture Level is high enough.

Cranking up Ice Level creates what seem to be very exaggerated "moon dogs" around the moon. I have no idea if this is what was intended, but it's kinda cool, maybe for a polar (or alien planet) setting.

• Thanks 2

2 hours ago, NiranV Dean said:

But you are basing your observations on public media, which isn't exactly a good indicator for anything.

About support i can't say anything because self-praise stinks but i'd guess the users are quite happy.

No I am not. I am basing my observations on the words you yourself have posted on at least two different forums for several years.

Customers can be happy with products and get the world's worst customer service at the same time.

• Like 1

Just now, Silent Mistwalker said:

No I am not. I am basing my observations on the words you yourself have posted on at least two different forums for several years.

Customers can be happy with products and get the world's worst customer service at the same time.

That's what i meant with public media, i just didn't want to say forums, i wanted to generalize that a bit to include everything that is not inworld, direct contact or discord (support).

I didn't mean they are happy with the Viewer, i was talking about the support.

Point i'm trying to make is, you should be careful with what you are telling other people about someone you have only known from the worst place on the internet (forum, reddit, social media like facebook etc). There are people who read it and immediately assume i'm an ***** or worse. This could make them not come to me with a problem or bug, this in turn could lead to a bug never being resolved and that could make the user unhappy, which in turn could lead them to leave the Viewer. If a group of people starts doing this... this could quickly lead to a good chunk of things not getting fixed or solved. This can spiral all the way down and around back to me having to hear from people that my support is ***** and i'm an *****, don't care about my users... when these people haven't even made a single attempt at asking for help.

Funny that, i just had this very situation recently... being attacked, insulted and accused exactly all these things. It kinda hurts to hear that you are basically an incompetent, lazy ***** from someone who hasn't made a single attempt before to report any issues, accusing me of being a lazy ***** and leaving my Viewer intentionally broken was apparently easier than coming to me and reporting bugs. 😢

I spend a lot of time sitting down with every user if necessary to solve their issue and/or implement fixes for them, just to proof that having direct contact to the developer is the better support.

• Haha 1
  • Confused 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1216 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.