So , I want to create artwork for SL

kyomifrench

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1204 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I use to make artwork for the sims 4 and after i got into sl i was wondering what are the tools that i need to create artwork here ? where and how do i start because i really would love to open a virtual store that people can shop at instead of always browsing through MP for my artwork , please help :) thanks ! 

Depends on what you mean by 'artwork'. Textures? Mesh? You can upload both images and meshes into Second Life very easily (build -> upload -> select).

Opening a store in-world is also quite straight forward once you've decided what you want to sell. You'll need to rent or buy a piece of land (makes sure it's labelled as commercial if you're renting), and pop down vendors / displays on it. Most people prefer to build an actual house to put them in, but technically that's optional.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, kyomifrench said:

I would take a picture frame mesh from the game and upload it to GIMP , add my own picture and edit it to make it look more life life 

You'll have to do it the other way around.

You can either use mesh or a prim as the canvas, upload in image to Second Life, and put the image on the object.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, kyomifrench said:

Thank you so much for that -- is their a step by step youtube video on how to do this ? i am still fairly new

If you plan to use an already made frame from SL, it will have to be full perm.  I'm sure there are many on the MP with included rules to using for your own purposes.

An article on uploading your pictures/textures

ETA:  the ones you show in the above picture look as if they're just added to a regular prim.  

Edited by RowanMinx
  • Like 2

Putting an image in a frame is basically applying a texture to a face of a prim or mesh object, and is done through the "Build" tool menus. 

There are several places in-world which have free beginning classes on the Build menus and how to use them / what they do.  A few places to check for classes in-world would be Caledon Oxbridge University, Happy Hippo Building School, NCI (New Citizens Incorporated) and Builder's Brewery.  Most of those places will have a calendar and/or a notecard that lists classes they are currently offering.  Builder's Brewery offers classes all the up to very advanced ones, so there you'd want to look for beginners classes.  It's very handy to know at least the basics of navigating around the build menus and knowing how to create a prim, resize objects, texture objects, add items to the contents of an object, etc., as well as how the object permission system works and where those settings are. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

In-world is the Builder's Brewery. They provide live and on-demand classes. Their group is mostly live 24x7. You can ask for help there too.

The forum also has an Answers section where you can search for answered questions and ask questions.

There are YouTube video tutorials. I suspect most are old, but that is OK as how one places a picture on a prim has not changed over the years.

There are numerous discussions in the forum and articles in the SL blogosphere on how to get the best images displayed in SL. There are tricks and 'gotchas' to be learned.

I do this, I have a galley in world, I typically use a simple prim for my "frame" though I see it as an unframed canvas. I have used premade frames, but you are generally stuck with the dimensions of the original frame unless it does not both you that some sides are wider than others. Drop me an IM if you have any questions I would be happy to help.

• Like 3

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1204 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.