Unexpected gift

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 826 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

10 hours ago, FairreLilette said:

How cool!  Now you have a secret admirer.  

as most of us 😊

2 hours ago, Zzevir said:

I hope I emptied my list in time. Not that that person would buy me something but better not to risk. 

(BTW I think I know who is behind this.)  

really?? write the name 😎

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Jordan Whitt said:

I'm anti-wishlists, especially when profile perving and see people demanding or asking for people to "gift them" with something from it.

When did this start becoming a "thing" anyway? ew

Then again, my bff often tells me I am the *worst* gold-digger evah, so...   Then again, at least the person is being upfront with their values by displaying the wishlist, eh? Truth in advertising. No surprises there!

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

6 hours ago, Zzevir said:

I hope I emptied my list in time. Not that that person would buy me something but better not to risk. 

(BTW I think I know who is behind this.)  

I don't have a wishlist and I got a message late last night that there was some Ls waiting for me. So an empty wish list isn't going to stop them. And that is a good thing.

I'm sorry your Christmas this year won't be so merry and bright. Please don't take it out on everyone else. It's hard to lose a family member and sometimes we lash out without meaning to. ((hug))

We would have returned the Thanksgiving dinner fixings we found on our porch had we known who left it all there including a 24 pound turkey. Not a cheap dinner and we think it was left on our porch by mistake. I hope the veterans liked the canned sweet potatoes since we don't eat those. I mention this because whoever is behind this is doing it out of the kindness of their hearts. Let them remain anonymous in the true spirit of Christmas, even if it does drive me crazy trying to figure out who it is. I never did figure out who sent the Easter card 40 years ago and it was someone who knew I had a cat and knew the cat's name! What they didn't know was Sugarfoot had been gone for some time by then. I still think about that card from time to time and wonder who sent it. I'll never know.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Zzevir said:

Sorry but that would be like name and shame and that is a big no no on this forum. 

of course, as usual I've been misunderstood because was a joke..

3 hours ago, Jordan Whitt said:

I'm anti-wishlists, especially when profile perving and see people demanding or asking for people to "gift them" with something from it.

I'm agree with you but... I didn't know was public.

thanks to the today explanation dear @Horus Salubrius I'm start to clean my wishlist but it will take time 😂

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, manoji Yachvili said:

thanks to the today explanation dear @Horus Salubrius I'm start to clean my wishlist but it will take time 😂

I'm anti-publicizing your wish list (on your profile or whatever), but I honestly see no reason why one shouldn't have one. If you're in-your-face about it, yes -- but if you aren't, and its only there to be found by someone who wants to give you a gift, then, in a way, you are helping them.

That said, I need to clean mine too -- there are a few insanely expensive items there that I thought I was putting on my Favourites list. Ooops.

(But hey, if you really like me, L$12,000 isn't too much to demonstrate it, is it? Huh?)

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

31 minutes ago, Scylla Rhiadra said:

I'm anti-publicizing your wish list (on your profile or whatever), but I honestly see no reason why one shouldn't have one. If you're in-your-face about it, yes -- but if you aren't, and its only there to be found by someone who wants to give you a gift, then, in a way, you are helping them.

That said, I need to clean mine too -- there are a few insanely expensive items there that I thought I was putting on my Favourites list. Ooops.

(But hey, if you really like me, L$12,000 isn't too much to demonstrate it, is it? Huh?)

Yes. This. No problem with having one. I probably should make one, in hopes of some sugar daddies lurking around. Then again, CASH works, people. CASH, in any form. Cash and carry. Cash and...

Wait, wut?

I was involved with a (really horribly abusive asshat) person in SL not too long ago, but he did have $$$. He offered to buy me some stuff. I declined. It felt too... gold diggerish. (See comment above about world's worst gold digger.)  Well this person rotates "significant others" and "partners" and "MINE!"s every week, so I found out. (I lasted a month, to my shame and horror.) ANYWAY, daddy big bucks's next person had "Here's my wishlist" and "BUY ME STUFF" plastered all over her profile. I laughed for hours. Oh and I think that partnership, MINE!, lasted about a week. :)  sigh, I wasted a perfectly good opportunity to GET STUFF.

Now when done tongue-in-cheek with the BUY ME STUFF, like Ruth here does, that's funny. 

The displayed hither and yon, that's also funny, but in a darker way. :)  ymmv

ETA @Scylla Rhiadra I *do* like your rationalization that by having a wishlist you are actually helping others. I'm all for altruism.

Edited by Seicher Rae
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, Silent Mistwalker said:

I'm sorry your Christmas this year won't be so merry and bright. Please don't take it out on everyone else. It's hard to lose a family member and sometimes we lash out without meaning to. ((hug))

I don't want to do that.

2 hours ago, manoji Yachvili said:

of course, as usual I've been misunderstood because was a joke..

No I really think I know how is she. (I'm like 98% sure.)

You have a lot of gatcha items on your list ... somebody told me. 

Edited by Zzevir
had some more clues
  • Like 1

This is quite likely an extension of last year's secret santa that was done on the forums here. 

I can admit that I have done things like this before, and will continue to do so for as long as I'm in sl (this anonymoose isn't me though, ftr)) and to this day no one has ever known it was me, nor will they. 

You'd be surprised how easy it is to gift people things they never realized you gifted them because they either aren't paying very close attention, or you're just way better at being sneaky than people realize. 

Sometimes the best way to bring a smile to your own face, is to bring one to that of another, even if it makes them suspicious and overly cautious. Sometimes, some people really need that feel good warm fuzzy feeling they get from helping/gifting others, without those others actually knowing they did it.

Sometimes it's just fun to make people squirm with suspicion too, though, lmao. 

:D

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

11 hours ago, Jordan Whitt said:

I think wishlists are very cool, and in a very general they are for friends/family  to know what you might be interested in.   I do publish mine on my profile but only with a tag: here is my wish list <link>. 

There is, on mine, never a demand or even a polite request (beyond the tacit one that is associated with simply pointing to it that is). I figure there are nice people who like to do nice things for people.  Kind of a 'Pay It Forward" personality/mentality.  I know I'm one of them.  And have to believe there are others in the world.  :)  So wishlists, and pointing them out,  is a way to facilitate is all.

Disclaimer:  I'm not calling you out specifically on this, or pushing back.  However your comment/stance (which is very valid) provided a nice springboard for a counter comment for consideration.  That is all.

• Like 2

23 hours ago, GoSpeed Racer said:

I was able to reopen the IM windows and was able to retrieve a coldLogic neve giftCard, but when I inspect the properties the creator does not display.

I am leery of rezzing or attaching this.

it's very wise to be careful on things like that.  One thing that I do in similar situation is go to a public "no-script" sandbox (I like Alethia Island Public Sandbox (not affiliated)) and step into a no-script area (they are clearly marked) and rez things (don't attach - attaching might still be dangerous but simple ground rezzing isn't).  any malicious scripts won't run and it gives you a fairly safe place to examine something and make a better, more informed, decision.  

Edited by Anna Salyx
  • Thanks 3

The other day I got something sent to me, nothing to do with a secret Santa, but not knowing the person I deleted it. Got it again the next day and deleted it again, I’m not a trusting person.

That said, I have several times over my years in SL deleted something and almost right away seen in group chats, don’t open so and so.

So apparently deleting things has served me well over the years.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, RowanMinx said:

I didn't really think about it for other people.  It was always something more for myself to put things I wish to buy later.

That's mainly how I use it too. Often its my alts adding stuff to their wishlists, and me paying for it.

Methinks my alts need to get jobs. 😡 

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 826 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.