Jump to content

what is ur hangout place?


brie90212
 Share

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 286 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Recommended Posts

3 hours ago, brie90212 said:

Do you have a cool place u like to hang out? 

Please share the LM, do tell if the place has lag and if u ever see others to chat with.

If it's popular and full of people to chat with, you can assume there is also lag.

  • Like 5
  • Haha 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I have a 8192 parcel with multiple platforms, one is a shared house for friends and alike, the other is a sandbox/backdrop area. Most of my friends or people I meet are either creators or bloggers that are stuck on their own platforms a lot of the time, and I created the space for us to work as well as relax. They're placed at heights so chat doesn't spill, and lag is minimal. It's adult, child avis not permitted. Otherwise accepting of others, and the one rule is to be kind. http://maps.secondlife.com/secondlife/Palm Bay/103/72/3714

 

Edited by Nastasha Szaberwick
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Mostly at London City, which has high traffic (and so, as Rowan said, less rez speed), voice, and a near-constant flux of veterans and new players; most of my friends there, so I feel very much at home. Then sometimes Ahern—smaller in most senses, no voice, and occasionally too indulging on trolls, but still worth dropping by every once in a while.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, RowanMinx said:

Fogbound if you're into blues music.  It's always super busy and the people are very friendly.  It has a good mix of old and new people, too.

Hmmm. i don't know when you're going, but most of the time I'm there, the place is quiet as a graveyard, with nearly everyone in IM. It's also laggy as hell -- because, of course, super busy.

On the other hand, the music is usually very good, and if you want to get picked up . . . . well . . .

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Scylla Rhiadra said:

Hmmm. i don't know when you're going, but most of the time I'm there, the place is quiet as a graveyard, with nearly everyone in IM. It's also laggy as hell -- because, of course, super busy.

On the other hand, the music is usually very good, and if you want to get picked up . . . . well . . .

Honestly, almost any place with a lot of people is quiet.  Rarely do I find anyone chatting in local.  That's not to say it never happens but it's the exception and not the norm in my experience.

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

38 minutes ago, RowanMinx said:

Honestly, almost any place with a lot of people is quiet.  Rarely do I find anyone chatting in local.  That's not to say it never happens but it's the exception and not the norm in my experience.

That's probably mostly true. Fogbound is pretty much the only really crowded club I go to. Most of the others seldom have more than a dozen or so people in them (and frequently less) -- but they are much chattier, maybe as a result.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, RowanMinx said:

Honestly, almost any place with a lot of people is quiet.  Rarely do I find anyone chatting in local.  That's not to say it never happens but it's the exception and not the norm in my experience.

I find that the chattier places are usually the ones with fewer people. A group of, say 4 to 12 people will be more chatty in local than a place with 20 or more.

I frequent the Bellisseria parties - there's the Belli Blues Cafe on Mondays and Far's houseboat party on Fridays, and frequent but irregular events at other times. The Belli community is lovely, everyone is very friendly and it's what keeps drawing me back to live there.

Another of my favourite hangouts is Abbie's Hideaway. It's a beach primarily for t-girls but anyone is welcome and again, very friendly there. But also very "adult", which might not be everyone's cup of tea. You won't see people actually "in the act" at a party but nudity and sex talk are common. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 hours ago, Scylla Rhiadra said:

Hmmm. i don't know when you're going, but most of the time I'm there, the place is quiet as a graveyard, with nearly everyone in IM. It's also laggy as hell -- because, of course, super busy.

On the other hand, the music is usually very good, and if you want to get picked up . . . . well . . .

Fogbound never struck me as cool. Popular, yes. Good music, yes... cool, no. Wait, wut? People get picked up there???? I swear to gawd, no one has ever even tried to pick me up there. :::goes off for more coffee, feeling sorry for self, doubting self worth, wondering what she is doing wrong::: 

(It is usually so busy there that I haven't been in eons and was never a regular. If I am in the mood for blues I go to less crazy places like Hotlanta...)

I hear Franks is "cool" :::laughs:::

One place that I do think is "cool" is Blue Orange, but not the kind of cool where people type U and R  for you and are in chat. And yes, people type in chat there and the last time I was there no one did the chat spam or had bunches of noisy gestures. Heavy European tilt there. PS and apparently still closed for rennovations.

Edited by Seicher Rae
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Cool is very subjective.  I guess it all depends on who you're looking to chat with and how.  Most of my chat is in IM.  The music I like might not be what you like.  Are you interested in more adult venues? (I did see your post in the adult section).  

Searching by your interests might be helpful but you just have to hop around until you find a place that fits.

  

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Seicher Rae said:

Fogbound never struck me as cool. Popular, yes. Good music, yes... cool, no. Wait, wut? People get picked up there???? I swear to gawd, no one has ever even tried to pick me up there. :::goes off for more coffee, feeling sorry for self, doubting self worth, wondering what she is doing wrong::: 

Well, my mileage varies from visit to visit. Once, @Eva Knollerand I visited -- I don't think she'd been before -- and she got hit on before she'd even properly rezzed outside the front doors. I think we both ended up getting hit on twice that visit.

But I've been there and not received any IMs. Some months ago, for about a 2 week period, I got bored and tried an experiment: I wore a series of different kinds of outfit to the place to see what "worked" and what didn't, ranging from punk to clahssy gown, dahling. Unsurprisingly, feminist tee and black leather jacket garnered me no IMs. The most successful outfit was a very nice, middle-of-the-road peasant blouse under a boho fringed jacket, with jeans. So now you know.

I've never been actually "picked up" there, because I don't do that, but I have actually met some people with whom I connected, and who have become friends. And I've a few old friends who go there occasionally, including a few old forumites: It's nice to connect with them.

But happy chatty place? "Cool" place? No. Maybe in 2013, when I first started going there, but not so much now.

Edited by Scylla Rhiadra
  • Like 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

14 hours ago, Scylla Rhiadra said:

Hmmm. i don't know when you're going, but most of the time I'm there, the place is quiet as a graveyard, with nearly everyone in IM. It's also laggy as hell -- because, of course, super busy.

On the other hand, the music is usually very good, and if you want to get picked up . . . . well . . .

If It's the place I think it is, I got taken there a fair amount years ago. My Mistress at the time was very into blues (I'm not at all), so we went there and few other places, and even both worked at a club a friend of hers ran (I still have the 'Hot Steppers' gestures, I think, lol). The main things I remember were 1) horrible lag (though that was most places with many people, oh wait, over 10 years later, just the same), and 2) us getting harassed because we were two women dancing with each other. People joke about Frank's but I was always treated with respect and friendliness there, even when dancing with women (and usually were the only two girls dancing together at the place).

Needless to say, I never got hit on at Fogbound, lol. But then I rarely have gotten hit on anywhere the last ten years.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, Scylla Rhiadra said:

middle-of-the-road peasant blouse under a boho fringed jacket, with jeans. So now you know.

Boho?  Middle-of-the-road?  BwaaaaaaaaaaaH!  Boho comes from the word bohemian.  Boho's usually aren't middle of the road.  Think all the beads, rings and the smell of incense and weed.  Boho can range from flowy and comfy like a gauze lacy Summer dress to fringey cut offs and a bikini top with tons of jewelry.  Jeans really are not the biggest thing in Boho actually, feminine is.  It's a long story but much of Boho comes from India and the Orient as well as the folkloric cultures of Mexico and other South American countries.  

Interesting study though, but if you feel middle-of-the-road in Boho, you may need to step it up a bit.  Add some hand-crafted one-of-a-kind looking jewelry and joosh (spelling?) mess up a bit and free your hair.  

Edited by FairreLilette
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 hours ago, Seicher Rae said:

One place that I do think is "cool" is Blue Orange, but not the kind of cool where people type U and R  for you and are in chat. And yes, people type in chat there and the last time I was there no one did the chat spam or had bunches of noisy gestures. Heavy European tilt there. PS and apparently still closed for rennovations.

I never heard of that but would have checked it out sometime until I read your last statement, lol.

The problem I have is that I love EDM, especially vocal trance, and that has mostly disappeared on US time. When I have been on during our day, I have been able to find several places active with Europeans, but everything is dead when I get on in the evenings in my time zone. I do know of a couple places that have cool-ish music and some conversation, links below. I have not been to E Bar in a long time, very cliquish, with people working very hard to out cool each other. Less conversation at Z&A, but more casual and friendly. E Bar was always packed when I went, though not that many people, just a really small space. Maybe 10 - 20 people? I suck at estimating head count. Z&A has a big dance floor, and few people, maybe 7 - 15.

Z&A Outdoor Stage: Mostly women, but usually a couple men, too--very queer-friendly; DJ Stacia, Sundays and Wednesdays, 7 - 10SLT, Indie music

http://maps.secondlife.com/secondlife/Alki/153/179/25

E Bar: WOMEN ONLY; DJ Janie, Mondays 6 - 8SLT, Indie music

http://maps.secondlife.com/secondlife/Calabaza Island/97/171/3301

ETA: These are in the evening, btw, PM times.

Edited by CaerolleClaudel
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 minutes ago, FairreLilette said:

Boho?  Middle-of-the-road?  BwaaaaaaaaaaaH!  Boho comes from the word bohemian.  Boho's usually aren't middle of the road.  Think all the beads, rings and the smell of incense and weed.  Boho can range from flowy and comfy like a gauze lacy Summer dress to fringey cut offs and a bikini top with tons of jewelry.  Jeans really are not the biggest thing in Boho actually, feminine is.  It's a long story but much of Boho comes from India and the Orient as well as the folkloric cultures of Mexico and other South American countries.  

Interesting study though, but if you feel middle-of-the-road in Boho, you may need to step it up a bit.  Add some hand-crafted one-of-a-kind looking jewelry and joosh (spelling?) mess up a bit and free your hair.  

I guess I should let Scylla answer, but hey, I am here and am not known for having good judgement anyhow.

My take was she meant the blouse was middle-of-the-road in that it was not extremely revealing. And yes, what people seem to consider Boho is kinda hippy-ish, IMO, so not really out there, just kinda different and casually cool.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

29 minutes ago, CaerolleClaudel said:

us getting harassed because we were two women dancing with each other

Wow. Seriously???? I'm a little surprised, and a lot disappointed. That's still a thing, being openly homophobic at a club?

At least two of the four clubs I frequent reasonably are also hangouts for same-sex couples I know -- I can't imagine anyone mocking or harassing them for dancing together. And not at the other two places either. I just thought we were well beyond that, especially in SL.

I've never payed a lot of attention to this at Fogbound. Next time I will. Now that you mention this, the club does have a serious "straight" vibe, if that's a thing.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Here is another place that has sort of non-mainstream music, of various kinds. Extremely queer-friendly, mostly female avis, some male ones. Lots of nudity. ZERO chat, other than the DJ welcoming people, ALL IMs.

SMASH Music Club: various DJs at various times, pretty much evening US Eastern time only.

http://maps.secondlife.com/secondlife/Whiskey SMASH/250/207/21

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, Scylla Rhiadra said:

Wow. Seriously???? I'm a little surprised, and a lot disappointed. That's still a thing, being openly homophobic at a club?

At least two of the four clubs I frequent reasonably are also hangouts for same-sex couples I know -- I can't imagine anyone mocking or harassing them for dancing together. And not at the other two places either. I just thought we were well beyond that, especially in SL.

I've never payed a lot of attention to this at Fogbound. Next time I will. Now that you mention this, the club does have a serious "straight" vibe, if that's a thing.

This was over 10 years ago. My Mistress, needless to say, shut it down pretty quickly, but we wound up not going there much after a couple times of that. I think she still went by herself a lot, though, she loved it there.

ETA: The whole club was not attacking us, either, just like 2 - 3 people out of 20 or 30, but they were doing it chat.

Edited by CaerolleClaudel
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

16 minutes ago, FairreLilette said:

Boho?  Middle-of-the-road?  BwaaaaaaaaaaaH!  Boho comes from the word bohemian.  Boho's usually aren't middle of the road.  Think all the beads, rings and the smell of incense and weed.  Boho can range from flowy and comfy like a gauze lacy Summer dress to fringey cut offs and a bikini top with tons of jewelry.  Jeans really are not the biggest thing in Boho actually, feminine is.  It's a long story but much of Boho comes from India and the Orient as well as the folkloric cultures of Mexico and other South American countries.  

Interesting study though, but if you feel middle-of-the-road in Boho, you may need to step it up a bit.  Add some hand-crafted one-of-a-kind looking jewelry and joosh (spelling?) mess up a bit and free your hair.  

 

6 minutes ago, CaerolleClaudel said:

I guess I should let Scylla answer, but hey, I am here and am not known for having good judgement anyhow.

My take was she meant the blouse was middle-of-the-road in that it was not extremely revealing. And yes, what people seem to consider Boho is kinda hippy-ish, IMO, so not really out there, just kinda different and casually cool.

Yeah, Caer's right about this. The outfit is sort of mainstream "tamed" boho, not the 'real thing." It's made by one of the BIG women's clothing creators in SL, and can be thought of as sort of "Boho for Hip Soccer Mums." It's just boho enough to look a bit different, but safely uncontroversial at the same time.

Believe it or not, I have some affection for Fogbound: I've been going there 7 years, and it holds some nice memories for me. The music is good, I've met friends there, and mostly it seems pretty friendly (but see Caer's comment above).

But to be honest, the fact that it was the most "successful" of my outfits surprised me not at all.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, CaerolleClaudel said:

This was over 10 years ago.

To some degree, I think I've been sheltered from homophobia in SL. I've always had lots of gay (and especially lesbian) friends, so the communities I've been involved with, and the places I've gone, have tended to be very LGBTQ+ positive, with the result that I haven't heard a lot of outright bigotry (although of course I've heard some). That includes the forum: I can't recall, offhand anyway, any instance of open homophobia here, although I've occasionally caught some more subtle articulations of it. This is a pretty open space, mostly.

At the same time, being straight myself, I've never faced the personal harassment that my gay friends have. 

So it's possible or even probable that I have a rather overly-rosy view of how accepting SL is to the LGBTQ+ community.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 minutes ago, Scylla Rhiadra said:

To some degree, I think I've been sheltered from homophobia in SL. I've always had lots of gay (and especially lesbian) friends, so the communities I've been involved with, and the places I've gone, have tended to be very LGBTQ+ positive, with the result that I haven't heard a lot of outright bigotry (although of course I've heard some). That includes the forum: I can't recall, offhand anyway, any instance of open homophobia here, although I've occasionally caught some more subtle articulations of it. This is a pretty open space, mostly.

At the same time, being straight myself, I've never faced the personal harassment that my gay friends have. 

So it's possible or even probable that I have a rather overly-rosy view of how accepting SL is to the LGBTQ+ community.

IMO, SL is far better than RL, especially considering that I have spent my whole life in rural flyover country in the US (the 'Bible Belt'), where intolerance of pretty much everything beyond conservative white Christianity is the rule.

Honestly, those couple times at Fogbound, out of many times, was about the only time I have been harassed, and that was by patrons, not staff. Then again, I have always to the extent possible only frequented female-only, queer places, or places that were mostly female and the men were polite and well-behaved. That is a lot easier in SL than in the aforementioned RL in which I am enmeshed. If I lived in one of the largest cities in the county instead of the largest small town in the country, I could probably do that IRL, too, but for example lesbian bars and queer clubs in general had declined quite a lot even before the pandemic. Not that life is just bars and clubs, I think of Provincetown and areas in the big cities where you can exist in communities with very large queer contingencies. SL is like being able to immediately go to a place like that no matter where you are at the moment.

Probably the most grief I have taken is when men hit on me without reading my profile (first word: 'Lesbian') and then get mad when I talk to them politely and finally insist that no, I am not interested, I am gay, when they get to the point of wanting to have sex. I think they feel I have led them on or something. I have from time-to-time just immediately said 'Lesbian' when they said hi, lol, but that seems to lead to an argument, too. 🙄

Edited by CaerolleClaudel
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 286 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...