Living on the Mainland: A peril or a pleasure? Your thoughts?

On 1/10/2021 at 5:15 AM, BJoyful said:

I got a mental picture of you lasering through a neighbour’s tree roots which happen to grow into the dirt under your land and out daily trimming the leaves of trees which dare grow over your property.  I hope this in not true as it’s not very conducive to nature’s style of decorating and I’m not about to try and start any ‘who’s going to win’ against nature... because that never ends well for people who decide they can do better.  Personally I tend to take my SL very realistically and I don’t mind if some trees and flowers cross into my property and unless they interfere with something I’m trying to use I don’t bother to ask people to move them.  
We have had neighbours who have gone the more aggressive way and returned every pixel... but now we are the best of friends 💗 and I have learned so much from their years of expertise and good taste it has turned into one of the most beautiful areas of mainland we’ve ever seen.  It’s on Corsica Contintent’s big island’s South coast. 

That is exactly what I will do. I don't care if it's a single pixel over without my permission. I respect my neighbors property and they should respect mine. Tree roots in SL can just as easily grow within their property borders as can mine. 

• Sad 2
  • Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Yeah, that's how to make Mainland ugly: enforce a barren no-man's-land between parcels lest any stray pixels leak across. My group has a trackside parcel in Bhaga that had a couple landscaping it

Just to clear up a misunderstanding here, there is not now and has never been any difference between the servers used for various parts of SL. Regions are assigned servers at random and it changes all

All SL regions are running on AWS now, there is no ancient hardware any more.  The data centre was emptied and the drives shredded. I've been on private regions that run like ass as well as mainl

Posted Images

8 hours ago, MarissaOrloff said:

That is exactly what I will do. I don't care if it's a single pixel over without my permission. I respect my neighbors property and they should respect mine. Tree roots in SL can just as easily grow within their property borders as can mine. 

Yeah, that's how to make Mainland ugly: enforce a barren no-man's-land between parcels lest any stray pixels leak across.

My group has a trackside parcel in Bhaga that had a couple landscaping items that very slightly encroached on the neighboring parcel for years and years, while that parcel changed owners many times without incident. Often the neighboring owner's landscaping crossed into my parcel too, and it was fine. Fine until this week, that is, when some wannabe land-flipper bought the parcel, set it for sale, and returned my two barely-encroaching items -- and then dropped encroaching trees and weird little blinking blobs that hover in the sky (apparently a commercial product somehow?) crossing well into my parcel.

I selected it all and hovered my mouse over "Return" for a good minute before I just walked away. They were clearly bruising for a fight, and I won't reward them with one. Despite the amateurish staging, somebody is bound to either buy it at a massive discount from the current asking price or the flipper will eventually give up and abandon it.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2
1 hour ago, Qie Niangao said:

I selected it all and hovered my mouse over "Return" for a good minute before I just walked away. They were clearly bruising for a fight, and I won't reward them with one. Despite the amateurish staging, somebody is bound to either buy it at a massive discount from the current asking price or the flipper will eventually give up and abandon it.

That was the bravest sort of bravery ♥ to do the right thing, as you always seem to do, Qie ♥  We all have that choice many times each day, vengeance vs graciousness, greed vs magnanimity ♥

In my humble opinion, we only need to think of the lessons our caregivers taught us when we were toddlers about how to get along, share, and enjoy a day of fun that we never wanted to end instead of spending a too-long day, pouting in the corner alone because no one is our friend and plot how to steal all their baseball cards and show 'them' a thing or two about what rights are and what winning is... really, winning is lonely.  Being a gracious, magnanimous person, you'd probably give even more time to helping that same person feel welcome when they realize they do need people like you after all ♥

You make me love SL and Mainland even more, Qie.  Connecting and feeling connected.

• Like 4
On 1/15/2021 at 8:10 AM, Qie Niangao said:

Yeah, that's how to make Mainland ugly: enforce a barren no-man's-land between parcels lest any stray pixels leak across.

The point is that maybe the rightful land owner want's to build something in that area. Now he or she can't because a neighbor callously decided that they "need" that area for their own items. That is just plain wrong and greedy. A line has to be drawn in the sand as to what is acceptable. If you keep allowing your neighbor to encroach they will take more and more. However a line has been drawn by LL for that and its called your property line. Why should a parcel owner have to move their prims back because a greedy neighbor decided a tree branch belongs there. 

**Yes, if you live next to me and encroach without permission I am an absolute nightmare to live next to :) **

Edited by MarissaOrloff
  • Sad 1
1 hour ago, MarissaOrloff said:

The point is that maybe the rightful land owner want's to build something in that area.

If that is the case, you return the encroaching objects. But perhaps it's not neccessary to return stuff that aren't really in the way and I thought that was what this discussion was about.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
2 hours ago, MarissaOrloff said:

**Yes, if you live next to me and encroach without permission I am an absolute nightmare to live next to :) **

No doubt.

So far I've had pretty good luck outlasting the absolute nightmares. Perhaps they seek greener dramas.

• Like 2
On 1/17/2021 at 3:04 PM, ChinRey said:

If that is the case, you return the encroaching objects. But perhaps it's not neccessary to return stuff that aren't really in the way and I thought that was what this discussion was about.

I understand what you are saying and if the land owner asks I usually will not have an issue with that. The point is why should I feel compelled to subsidize someone else's build? If that person needs more land they should purchase it. I shouldn't feel "shamed" by the community into subsidies for others. I guess you have never had an issue where someone repeatedly over and over again would encroach. It made me quite bitter and they didn't stop until the third abuse report.

• Like 2

Maybe I've just been lucky to get good neighbors most of the time. Even if their stuff isn't always what I'd choose myself, the idea that they're encroaching because they "need more land" really never crossed my mind. In fact usually I see it as a bit of free decoration for which I don't need to spend my own primcount.

• Like 1
12 minutes ago, Qie Niangao said:

Maybe I've just been lucky to get good neighbors most of the time. Even if their stuff isn't always what I'd choose myself, the idea that they're encroaching because they "need more land" really never crossed my mind. In fact usually I see it as a bit of free decoration for which I don't need to spend my own primcount.

I remember years ago I had some great neighbors and we linked our pathways together and between the three of us we had a 1/2 sim parcel. What I was talking about previously was on Blake Sea seafront property and that is not cheap to say the least. I had about 2500 sq/m and the person who was encroaching only had a 512 sq/m parcel and would constantly go over again and again. I guess if it was the usual L$1 sq/m land I wouldn't been such a *****. But Blake Sea you spend hundreds of USD on. That makes a huge difference.

Now that you mention Blake Sea, I realize it may be Bay City land (also not cheap) that made me extra laissez faire about encroachment because most parcels share a zigzag border with the neighbor. Many of those borders are with the Governor, and she usually doesn't mind a little landscaping help, but neighboring residents also recognize that staying clear of that whole zigzag path would leave a vast barren swath* so a little informal coordination makes a bigger difference there than on most of Mainland's more Cartesian-aligned parcels.

* Trees and bushes, if they're just the right size, can partially fill a Bay CIty "zig" while the neighbor fills some of their "zag" but anything straight-lined such as a walkway really needs to pull back a long way from such borders.

• Thanks 1