Living on the Mainland: A peril or a pleasure? Your thoughts?

HenryCrawford

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 130 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

48 minutes ago, ArgontheDevil Ormega said:

One of the joys of Mainland is not having to live in Bellisaria which makes me think of something spawned in the deranged mind of Disney.

Bellissaria is banal suburbia, but many people like banal suburbia.

My main location is a cafe, workshop, and builders yard in Kama City. That belongs in a working city. I also have a small house In Bellessaria, set up as a beach house, with a boat and surfboards outside. Mostly because I had some unused tier, so it was free.

Incidentally, someone just set up a cute Santa's Workshop in Kama Center sim, next to the monument park.  Although in an adult area, that Santa's Workshop is not sex-oriented. Neither is my place, for that matter.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, ArgontheDevil Ormega said:

One of the joys of Mainland is not having to live in Bellisaria which makes me think of something spawned in the deranged mind of Disney.  I avoid their damnable covenant, the architecture I cannot stand and having neighbors whose one joy in life is measuring the height of people's trees so they can AR them.

I'm also a total hard ass when it comes to property lines.  I work very hard to keep from intruding on the neighbors and I consider it simple courtesy for them to return the favor.  If my land gets intruded on, no matter how elaborate the build, by so much as the turning of a hair, any, merely a quarter of scruple, back it goes.  And if they are dumb enough to try blocking me in, have they never heard of teleport?  They are preventing nothing and I will be there long after they have sold and left.  I have lands that face protected beach and waterways.  The rare parcel that does not is no handicap so such people are easily ignored and outlasted.

That fun stuff being said, I have had good luck with my neighbors with only a few exceptions.

Hear Hear.

• Sad 1

19 hours ago, animats said:

Bellissaria is banal suburbia, but many people like banal suburbia.

It's easy to see why. It's uncomplicated for a start.

Also of course, a large proportion of SL's clientelle are American upper middle class and for many of them such a setting is bound to have considerable nostalgical value. For other Americans who came from slightly lower social classes, living in a posh (from their point of view) suburbian home would have been a childhood dream. Childhood memories and childhood dreams, those are strong attractions, especially for the age groups the majority of SL'ers seem to have reached these days.

But that brings up another important reason why I wish there was more cultural diversity in SL - and why LL should wish there was. Almost half the population of Second Life are American. I can't see any particular reason why virtual reality in general should be more popular in the USA than in the world at large but Second Life obviously is. Imagine if LL had managed to reach the international audience as effectively as they do the people in their own home country. SL would have been at least five times, maybe more than ten times even, as big as it is today.

LL has really tried at various times. We have a "Japanese" Linden Homes theme and "Japanese", "Korean" and "French" mainland continents but for all their efforts and good intentions they never amounted to more than superficial Disneylandish mockups at best because they could never crack the code. They never understood this and they still don't.

I don't really think Bellisseria is to big. It does suffer from too much copy-and-paste building (and of course, dodgy craftmanship under the hood) but isolated, as a theme in itself it's probably about the size it should be. It's just disproportionately sized because everything else in SL is too small.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, ChinRey said:

LL has really tried at various times. We have a "Japanese" Linden Homes theme and "Japanese", "Korean" and "French" mainland continents but for all their efforts and good intentions they never amounted to more than superficial Disneylandish mockups at best because they could never crack the code. They never understood this and they still don't.

There are several sims of modern Japan built by Japanese people. They look fine, but are not heavily used. There's Mopire, four sims modeled after a part of Tokyo, with tall buildings, highway ramps, and subways. There's a modern Japanese suburb, small houses and apartments built around a railroad station.

SL is forced to suburbia by its density problem. SL works best with less than 20 avatars per sim. More than that, and both servers and viewers start to choke. So heavily utilized urban areas don't work very well. You can build them, but if they fill up, they won't work. Mopire would overload at 1% of its real-world population density.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, animats said:

There are several sims of modern Japan built by Japanese people.

There are and have been lots of such private initiatives from people from different cultures. Second Norway is perhaps the best known and the one that lasted the longest. (@Prokofy Neva has been trying to maintain a list of them btw. I'm not sure how up to date it is but it's still very strongly recommended for anybody who want to explore a different side of SL.)

It's not that easy though. Without active support from the platform owner who is controlling much of the base premises, taking the lion's share of whatever revenue you may be able to generate and sometimes even trying to compete with you directly, a venture like that at a scale beyond a fairly small hobby project is doomed. If it actually had been as easy as that, opensim would have been bigger than SL by now.

• Like 1

On 12/8/2020 at 3:33 PM, ChinRey said:

Fortunately there is a fifth alternative. There are a few places on mainland where people show each other respect and their builds try to compliment rather than kill each other. Those are the only places I'm interested in in SL.

There's a 1/8 portion of my region for sale, just across the road from mine, wanna buy it? 😁

• Like 1

22 hours ago, ChinRey said:

There are and have been lots of such private initiatives from people from different cultures. Second Norway is perhaps the best known and the one that lasted the longest. (@Prokofy Neva has been trying to maintain a list of them btw. I'm not sure how up to date it is but it's still very strongly recommended for anybody who want to explore a different side of SL.)

It's not that easy though. Without active support from the platform owner who is controlling much of the base premises, taking the lion's share of whatever revenue you may be able to generate and sometimes even trying to compete with you directly, a venture like that at a scale beyond a fairly small hobby project is doomed. If it actually had been as easy as that, opensim would have been bigger than SL by now.

I keep my list up to date to the extent I can. Every 2 weeks or so, I feature a different country, or topic with a selection of countries, so that forces me to keep it up to date, and I watch for new ones. This week it's "Finland". 

On the one hand, there are certain countries that have kept up their country sims for years and years -- Second Norway is one that has survived through difficulties. Others, sadly, are gone, like Estonia's virtual consulate. There are vigorous new entries such as Taiwan. You would be surprised at some of the countries represented. You can pick up the list in Ross at the Memory Bazaar inside the hall, where I have a display of various  countries and souvenirs from them in SL. 

Sometimes people ask why a given country isn't represented. It's because it doesn't have a location to represent it -- so make one! There are several for Belarus, for example, a country with an impressive non-violent resistance to tyranny, because not only a Belarusian made a location, but I have a homestead call "Belarus" with some installations on it as well. Or sometimes I may not have heard of a new one, so send me the LM.

• Like 2

On 12/8/2020 at 5:16 PM, ChinRey said:

Actually, I think the Bellisseria design is quite good (except for those tacky fake-painted-on-log-wall houses). But even great design becomes dull and monotonous when it's repeated over and over and over again. If it had been one element in a wide, varied landscape it would have been perfectly ok but it isn't.

Bellisseria presents a technical and esthetic problem for the Moles and Lindens because on the one hand, they don't have the resources to make everything unique and on the other, people LIKE having things the same, it reassures them and there's nothing wrong with that. Even if people were prepared to pay top dollar for very unique content, they would likely have trouble finding people to do this niche work. This may change as virtual reality is developed more, but since the direction seems to be in passive entertainment by ever more elaborate goggles rather than in an interactive virtual world environment, it may not be soon.

As I've been boating around Bellisseria or taking the train, what I've noticed actually is that the Moles do a good job of making the scenery irregular enough so that it is "convincing". Obviously they have to repeat in their repertoire of plants and trees, but they've added a lot of new ones, like the redwoods which I particularly like, by Glowing Mole. It's hard to make every little commons area different, but they do mix it up. And the fact that these items are NOT in the library or available for free perhaps preserves what uniqueness they have. You don't have to make every blade of grass unique as in God's creation to have the feeling that the scenery is indeed changing. 

Residents in Bellisseria could do a lot more to make their homes unique, but the same suburban aspirations that make for striving to live in Bellisseria make for the same furniture. The Lindens could offer 100 house types as rental agents do, but people would still pick the few that they themselves think are "unique" and of course are not.

A reason I love the art work of Haveit Neox and the creations of cynphul is that they are so different than anything in SL.  Finding the unexpected in SL -- and the *good* unexpected -- is something I treasure. The problem of the sameness of Bellisseria is in fact widespread everywhere. Every designer at every event uses the same bust of the same girl by Maru Kado -- you know the one. An amazing number of chimes have been rung on that bust, so that she can be Hispanic or Asian or young or old. No one can make a new bust? Really? Yes, a few people have, but then everyone keeps using that same one.

Everywhere you go, it's a fireplace from Apple Fall, with a settee and those worn slippers and surreal looking books topped with a muffin. Or a hot chocolate station from What's Next. The Lindens don't make all the content they put out in public areas and fall back on What's Next as much as any of us. And yet each person making their faux New England with yet another "antique" from Apple Fall feels they are new and different, and I am no exception. I will unabashedly put out the leather trunk, even if I mix it up with luc's dispensable food or decor from a new designer like Obsolute -- who I suspect is an old designer who was as tired of their old line as everyone else. You see those new names crop up occasionally, magically gaining a place in top merchants' events despite being only months old -- and then disappearing again, only to likely emerge with a new "brand".

In real life, in fact, many people have the same Ikea hutches and tables. People even have the same chairs from thrift shops in my area because that's what there is.

What has been will be again,
    what has been done will be done again;
    there is nothing new under the sun.

Ecclesiastes 1:9

• Like 7

I Just lurked through here and found these post really interesting. Last month I bought my first piece of mainland. @BJoyful and @rasterscan let go of some property with in Campbell Coast. wow what a beautiful area of mainland. I feel quite lucky to be there and friends have areas nearby. Currently there are a few rentals open there, II don't believe more land is for sale. It is quite a lovely area of mainland with a great community of folks.  if you like Scotland, Art, Music , fishing, boating, driving and conversation it would be worth your time to come see it.

Edited by Owl Dragonash
  • Like 2

On 12/9/2020 at 1:08 PM, Sister Nova said:

You need to look at the entire continent of Bellisseria for the new Linden Homes, not just one region. There are currently 5 themes available with a 6th theme pending release, and a 7th theme just revealed (and more themes to come!). Each theme has several different designs of building that you can select for your parcel. The fact that this entire continent is occupied, and with people still waiting for the new releases, it really is a case that the Lindens DID in fact get it right. That said, it's not something that will appeal to everyone, and certainly those that do not wish to be restricted by a covenant still have plenty of mainland to build their dreams.

I'm very happy to have a home in Bellisseria and also a mainland parcel situated next to a wonderful town that I try to support by renting some property there too. With travel (by vehicle rather than teleport) being my main activity in SL, the fact that I can travel between my mainland properties and Bellisseria is a constant delight for me :) 

The Linden Homes sub forum can be found just along from this one, and will showcase many of the regions there should you wish to have a look without having to travel.

On 12/9/2020 at 4:06 PM, ChinRey said:

No, they are only fairly minor variations on the same basic style. But, let's be clear about this: it's not the Moles' fault! All creators have their style and they build within the framework they are familar and comfortable with. There are a few multi-stylists who can cover several - perhaps four or five - bases but no pan-stylists who can do everything. You can't do US style if you're born and raised in Europe or Japan, you can't do Japanese style if you're born and raised in USA or Europe, you can't do European style if... etc., etc. Not unless you're willing to spend ages studying and learning a foreign culture that is.

What I would have loved to see in a virtual world, is a large variety of styles created by people from a wide variety of cultural backgrounds and with smooth, natural transitions between them - that transition is actually far more about where people build than what they build. Just like the Real World. We still have the variety in SL although there seems to be less of it every day but we never had those smooth transitions. I suppose that was always too mcuh to ask for but I can dream, can't I?

Well, when I read these two posts about Bellisseria, I was actually considering attempting to obtain a parcel on it, until I read this post: "Bellisseria theme homes are snapped up pretty much as soon as they appear. Abandoned land is only ever there for a handful of minutes." ...And this one: "I avoid their damnable covenant, the architecture I cannot stand and having neighbors whose one joy in life is measuring the height of people's trees so they can AR them." <---- Do people on this continent really AR trees if they're even a little taller than usual? And is there actually a covenant governing their height? I love having tall trees. Not gigantic ones, but not all tiny ones either. If anyone can clarity this for me, I would appreciate it.

• Like 1

On 12/12/2020 at 10:34 PM, ChinRey said:

It's easy to see why. It's uncomplicated for a start.

Also of course, a large proportion of SL's clientelle are American upper middle class and for many of them such a setting is bound to have considerable nostalgical value. For other Americans who came from slightly lower social classes, living in a posh (from their point of view) suburbian home would have been a childhood dream. Childhood memories and childhood dreams, those are strong attractions, especially for the age groups the majority of SL'ers seem to have reached these days.

But that brings up another important reason why I wish there was more cultural diversity in SL - and why LL should wish there was. Almost half the population of Second Life are American. I can't see any particular reason why virtual reality in general should be more popular in the USA than in the world at large but Second Life obviously is. Imagine if LL had managed to reach the international audience as effectively as they do the people in their own home country. SL would have been at least five times, maybe more than ten times even, as big as it is today.

I don't really think Bellisseria is to big. It does suffer from too much copy-and-paste building (and of course, dodgy craftmanship under the hood) but isolated, as a theme in itself it's probably about the size it should be. It's just disproportionately sized because everything else in SL is too small.

I really hate to double-post and I usually don't. But I just have to say this one additional thing, which I forgot to mention earlier. Along with a question: What kinds of prims make up the homes, trees, and other primitives, which are widely available on Bellisseria? Regular? Sculpty? Mesh?  The above post I quoted says the continent is uncomplicated. I ask because all the times I've been there, the lag has been so unreal for me, which even something simple as keeping myself logged in there (While on decent graphical settings) has been largely-unsuccessful, to say the least. Has anyone else had this problem? Please let me know. Thanks again!

Edited by HenryCrawford
Adding a little more details.
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, HenryCrawford said:

What kinds of prims make up the homes, trees, and other primitives, which are widely available on Bellisseria? Regular? Sculpty? Mesh?

It's mostly "Mole mesh" with the occasional prim here and there.

4 hours ago, HenryCrawford said:

I ask because all the times I've been there, the lag has been so unreal for me, which even something simple as keeping myself logged in there (While on decent graphical settings) has been largely-unsuccessful, to say the least. Has anyone else had this problem?

Many people have complained about the lag there but even more have reported they have no such issues. It depends on how powerful your computer is of course but probably also where in Bellisseria you are.

Mole mesh is horrendously poorly made (from a technical, not neccessarily design point of view) with way too many tris and pixels and dodgy LoD but the Moles are quite designers so can compensate for much of it with a couple of landscaping tricks. All those roads, the bumpy terrain and the re-use of the same plants and houses over and over again are all factors that reduce the total load. I did some tests when Bellisseria was launched, before it started filling up, and found that to my computer at least an empty Bellisseria region was about the same load as a fully occupied old style Linden Homes region. That's not ideal of course but hardly a big issue and LL was very clear that they regarded Bellisseria as a low lag place for everybody.

What they completely forgot, was that the residents were going to add content too. The "base load" isn't too high but it is close to the limit for many so it doesn't take that much furniture and gardening stuff before some users start getting lag issues. And if everybody in your sim and the neighbour sims have filled up their prim quotas to capacity with high lag content, there's bound to be serious problems. (For the tech savvyy readers: imagine a scene with hundreds of gigapixels, tens of thousands of unique assets and tens of millions of tris. I don't there's any gpu in the world that can handle such a load in real time. A case as extreme as that is unlikely of course but not at all impossible.)

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/12/2020 at 12:45 AM, ArgontheDevil Ormega said:

One of the joys of Mainland is not having to live in Bellisaria which makes me think of something spawned in the deranged mind of Disney.  I avoid their damnable covenant, the architecture I cannot stand and having neighbors whose one joy in life is measuring the height of people's trees so they can AR them.

I'm also a total hard ass when it comes to property lines.  I work very hard to keep from intruding on the neighbors and I consider it simple courtesy for them to return the favor.  If my land gets intruded on, no matter how elaborate the build, by so much as the turning of a hair, any, merely a quarter of scruple, back it goes.  And if they are dumb enough to try blocking me in, have they never heard of teleport?  They are preventing nothing and I will be there long after they have sold and left.  I have lands that face protected beach and waterways.  The rare parcel that does not is no handicap so such people are easily ignored and outlasted.

That fun stuff being said, I have had good luck with my neighbors with only a few exceptions.

I 100% agree. After I send one friendly note or IM to a neighbor if they are encroaching on my property (without asking first) even by a small fraction I will have no issue with returning their prims. I work very very hard to make sure my prims are not going over my property lines and I expect my neighbors to do the same. I am not paying tier to host anyone's prims (even if it doesnt impact prim allowance) without my permission. I might sound not very neighborly to some but I find it quite rude that some people feel they can use what I pay for without asking first.

Generally I don't have this problem at all. Most people who are encroaching don't realize they're doing it. But its the ones who feel that they have a right to encroach drive me completely bonkers. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

the mainland is ran on Ancient Hardware even more ancient Scripts it's a place where people dump their trash and breed animals  for Linden dollars I've been on Second Life for 13 years it's always going to run like ass and I just bought a new computer recently it still runs like ass

the main land will be a dumpster fire tell Second Life dies

• Haha 1
  • Confused 1

5 hours ago, MaxSilverDragon said:

the mainland is ran on Ancient Hardware even more ancient Scripts it's a place where people dump their trash and breed animals  for Linden dollars I've been on Second Life for 13 years it's always going to run like ass and I just bought a new computer recently it still runs like ass

All SL regions are running on AWS now, there is no ancient hardware any more.  The data centre was emptied and the drives shredded.

I've been on private regions that run like ass as well as mainland regions that perform well.

Mainland is the only place where you are only answerable to LL and you don't have to pay the cost of a private region.
It is the only place you can find many thousands of virtual KMs of contiguous space for vehicles and/or exploration.

It's fine if you don't like mainland, nobody forces it on you but it definitely has some unique benefits and it is the preferred place for a lot of people so trash talking about it just because you don't like it is quite pathetic you know.

Oh BTW, I've been on SL for 13 years too, it isn't that special.

Edited by Gabriele Graves
  • Thanks 6

5 hours ago, Gabriele Graves said:

I've been on private regions that run like ass as well as mainland regions that perform well.

Yeah. In terms of simulator performance, though, a lot does depend on how many breedables are on the region, and Mainland tends get the most, worst-scripted breedables because they get chased off any self-respecting Estate.

I bet the worst-performing Estate regions are owned/rented as a full region, whereas the best-performing Mainland regions have a single owner. In principle, that's all "tragedy of the commons" and in practice the implement of that tragedy is usually breedables.

And of course, Mainland or Estate, a big rendering price must be paid to have neighboring regions, especially in viewers set for long draw depth. It's why rendering is so very much faster in skyboxes.

That said, Mainland makes SL interesting. I might be tempted by a standalone homestead (if they're ever offered) just for the control* but I don't know how I'd give up all the Mainland I've accumulated over the years.

* In reality, though, performance of a homestead is particularly subject to the effects of whatever other homesteads share the computing resources, to a much greater extent than full regions share resources. This is something that could be changed in the cloud, but it would involve some re-implementation that I can't imagine anybody has had time to think about yet.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 12/27/2020 at 10:59 AM, MarissaOrloff said:

I 100% agree. After I send one friendly note or IM to a neighbor if they are encroaching on my property (without asking first) even by a small fraction I will have no issue with returning their prims. I work very very hard to make sure my prims are not going over my property lines and I expect my neighbors to do the same. I am not paying tier to host anyone's prims (even if it doesnt impact prim allowance) without my permission. I might sound not very neighborly to some but I find it quite rude that some people feel they can use what I pay for without asking first.

Generally I don't have this problem at all. Most people who are encroaching don't realize they're doing it. But its the ones who feel that they have a right to encroach drive me completely bonkers. 

I got a mental picture of you lasering through a neighbour’s tree roots which happen to grow into the dirt under your land and out daily trimming the leaves of trees which dare grow over your property.  I hope this in not true as it’s not very conducive to nature’s style of decorating and I’m not about to try and start any ‘who’s going to win’ against nature... because that never ends well for people who decide they can do better.  Personally I tend to take my SL very realistically and I don’t mind if some trees and flowers cross into my property and unless they interfere with something I’m trying to use I don’t bother to ask people to move them.  
We have had neighbours who have gone the more aggressive way and returned every pixel... but now we are the best of friends 💗 and I have learned so much from their years of expertise and good taste it has turned into one of the most beautiful areas of mainland we’ve ever seen.  It’s on Corsica Contintent’s big island’s South coast. 

• Like 4

12 hours ago, MaxSilverDragon said:

tis in the cloud..................................................

• Like 1

15 hours ago, MaxSilverDragon said:

Just to clear up a misunderstanding here, there is not now and has never been any difference between the servers used for various parts of SL. Regions are assigned servers at random and it changes all the time. Every time a region is restarted, it may end up at a different server. I know some estate owners used to claim their sims were on faster servers than the rest of SL but they were lying. This is the 21st century anyway, so a server in a server farm isn't an actual physical computer, it's a virtual server that all the machinery in the farm run together.

You may have a point when it comes to content load but it's not a black an white picture. There are thousands of mainland sims and they are all different and all the laggiest sims I've seen in SL have been on pricate estates.

Edited by ChinRey
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 2

I have lived on mainland for years now too, Since my first avatar actually. My first one was made back in Dec of 05 but I do not use her anymore because she is still partnered to a lovely man that died in real. Anyway the reason I am writing here now is I was wondering if anyone on mainland like me have had problems with afk clubs on Adult mainland.. A few years ago I had issues one that keep having over 20 avatars on their small 512 parcel in my region i put in a complaint and so did a few other people since they had properties in the same region.  LL shut them down due to over usage of resources.  Its two years later now and another one has opened up in the region this time they are not land owners but renters of one of the big landowners in sl that rent out land to people that cannot buy land.  Anyway there have afk bots on their small parcel 27/7.  A few of us landowners in the region  cannot even have friends over.  I own about a 10,752.   so I should at least be able to have a few other avatars there beside myself.  but I can't because there is a limit to the number of agents to a region. Does anyone know what I can do as I have made tickets and it seems like no one is listening anymore I have my home and my store on the land and my work shop. the lag is so bad that things take forever to rez because of all the resources that are being used by the afk parcel.. I would appreciate if anyone has any ideas on what to do I have lived on the same region since 10 and really do not want to move but since ll does not seem to reply to me on what they are doing or going to do. I almost feel like giving up and quitting since i can not even make things since i cannot see my textures for hours after uploading them.  I have no problems in other areas and did not have any problems before this afk place moved in.

any ideas as do not want to move  also a few other land owners are with me on this trying to figure out what we can do.  to me afk places need to be on their own sims not on mainland as its like someone using bots for traffic

• Sad 1

17 hours ago, Qie Niangao said:

Yeah. In terms of simulator performance, though, a lot does depend on how many breedables are on the region, and Mainland tends get the most, worst-scripted breedables because they get chased off any self-respecting Estate.

I bet the worst-performing Estate regions are owned/rented as a full region, whereas the best-performing Mainland regions have a single owner. In principle, that's all "tragedy of the commons" and in practice the implement of that tragedy is usually breedables.

And of course, Mainland or Estate, a big rendering price must be paid to have neighboring regions, especially in viewers set for long draw depth. It's why rendering is so very much faster in skyboxes.

That said, Mainland makes SL interesting. I might be tempted by a standalone homestead (if they're ever offered) just for the control* but I don't know how I'd give up all the Mainland I've accumulated over the years.

* In reality, though, performance of a homestead is particularly subject to the effects of whatever other homesteads share the computing resources, to a much greater extent than full regions share resources. This is something that could be changed in the cloud, but it would involve some re-implementation that I can't imagine anybody has had time to think about yet.

I agree with everything you said.  Nevertheless there are no absolutes which is why I posted the line you quoted.

Mainland's attraction isn't its performance over private regions, that would be an insane argument.  To say mainland regions are running on a forgotten 20 year old pentium stuck in a dusty basement isn't right either.  I just wish people would stop ragging on other people's preferences when they are not forced to have anything to do with them.  It's completely unnecessary.

• Like 1

the reason why I'm so negative about the mainland I personally have never had a good experience there is always been legy  for me the people want to live there it's your choice I just think it's a bad idea just how bad it runs but you're right the mainland does have its benefits the number one benefit if you don't have to deal with another Resident landlord you just have to deal with Second Life you can pay for a whole entire year at once if your property is small enough for second benefit

the benefits are living on a Sim ran by a resident if there's a problem with it usually gets fix fast most people at run that stuff or pretty respectable in the community I would never pay for a whole entire year of rent at once to a resident of Second Life cuz there's nothing stopping the from backpedaling on the deal and taking your money and kicking you out even if they are respectable people it's too big of a risk

the best option is buying your own region if you can afford it from Linden labs then you could decide to never deal with people ever again if you want

I do raise animals in the mainland but I try to keep the numbers to a low amount so it doesn't contribute too much to  *****y situations

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Over my time I've lived on various estate parcels, mainland parcels, linden homes (both old and new).  I always end up back with a mainland parcel.  When looking for a mainland parcel  I avoid regions with a lot of parcels, or ones with a low percentage of scripts being ran and I've often had better performance on my mainland parcel than on estate parcels. I don't pay huge amounts for parcels, so if the situation changes (performance or neighborhood views) for the worst, I don't mind putting it up for sale and looking for a different location. I've been fortunate with locations and usually when I have moved around on mainland it's been due more to needing to tier down or just wanderlust and wanting a change of scene. I generally keep a LH as well, so I always have a home base even if I'm not renting from an estate and have mainland up for sale.  

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 130 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.