Jump to content

Good ol days of SL?


You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 311 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Recommended Posts

7 hours ago, RowanMinx said:

All this talk about flexi  hair!  What I miss is that back when I started in 2009, everyone had it and no one cared if it clipped into your body.  People cared less about silly things like that IMO.  Ever since the advent of the first mesh body parts, it seems as though it's become acceptable to look down on anyone who isn't 'up to standards'.  I've seen people poking fun of others in local for flexi hair, not having a mesh head or body, outdated clothing.  I think back then, we were all on a more level playing field in regards to our appearance.  There was one body, one head, we all wore system clothes and most all of our hair moved a little.  

It's sad we've lost that more tolerant SL.

I can't talk about "the very old times", but I heard that comment a few times. And from my experience in 2012 it wasn't any better pre-mesh body parts, at all. Slink hands/feets weren't as popular yet when I joined, other mesh body parts even less so. But there were other things/standards people went for as their ruler. Skin - a massive difference in quality between top skins and "whatever someone found at freebie galaxy", shape - same thing, AOs - same, certain other "attachments" to keep it sfw here - same story. Some people would make fun of ones who didn't spent >10k on their avatar exactly as they do now, just for the slighly different reasons.

It also exists in mmo games, if there's any way to customize your character, and especially a way that requires you to either spend some money or a lot of time to do so, then if you run a default or cheap character/look... some people will poke you. You could say it's a human nature, and not the most pretty side of it.

I always found it rather sad and silly. I do have my standards and don't like many things I see on others (old and new alike), but there's always an option to stay decent about it instead of making fun of someone for their choices.

Edited by steeljane42
typos
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, RowanMinx said:

  I've seen people poking fun of others in local for flexi hair, not having a mesh head or body, outdated clothing.  

It's sad we've lost that more tolerant SL.

I find people who act like that very dull so i simply ask how they look in RL and they instantly change the conversation but they are good for the SL economy since their main interest is shopping/trying to make their avatar look somehow realistic. (which of course will never be unless someone has a very wild imagination.)

Yesterday i happened to be in a place where i was listening some live singers and there still were plenty people with non mesh avatars having fun, it really depends on the place.

 

  • Like 5
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I have been thinking about this because I was fairly active back in 2007/8, a long break & now back again.  The thing(!) I miss are the people I knew back then & here's the thing ... there are people in SL now & I'm making friends & having fun & listening to music again.   So what do I miss about the good ole days .... one person in particular I wish was still here but we are RL friends so yeah .. not much.  

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I miss the days of the good old PG status that you had to adhere to if you wanted to go to a corresponding region. At that time the term PG was still a quality mark for youth-friendly region owners. What some users understand by the term general today defies description. Some believe it is enough to tie a flower or a 2cm wide leather thong in front of your genitals and that's it. If you then speak to them and ask them to dress a little more appropriately because they are located in a region that is also accessible to under 18s, you will be mobbed more than primitively as the owner of the region. If you then block such people, you are sometimes in disrepute faster than you can see. Thanks to this bull***** about "un" social media. I would like the users to pay more attention to the age rating of a region and to accept and take it into account. By general, however, we do not only understand the protection of young people under the age of 18, we also see our responsibility towards children who watch their parents, who may look over their parents' shoulders and thus also take part in the Second Life experience. I wouldn¬īt like that my Children see things, when they observe us being in SL, they normaly shouldn¬īt see on a General rated Region, like we have them since years.

Edited by Miller Thor
  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 hours ago, Miller Thor said:

I miss the days of the good old PG status that you had to adhere to if you wanted to go to a corresponding region. At that time the term PG was still a quality mark for youth-friendly region owners.

I wasn't there at that time but I'm not quite convinced. A friend of mine once told me story about when a Linden visited her home in a G rated sim on some official errand and didn't as much as raise an eyebrow when he saw the extensive collection of BDSM equipment she had rezzed there

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, ChinRey said:

I wasn't there at that time but I'm not quite convinced. A friend of mine once told me story about when a Linden visited her home in a G rated sim on some official errand and didn't as much as raise an eyebrow when he saw the extensive collection of BDSM equipment she had rezzed there

G was General, wasn't it? There would have been no need for the Linden to raise an eyebrow. If my memory is correct, General was the most adult level, where all the sex stuff was, before the Adult level came along. And, even then, the use of sex stuff was not banned from General, just as the use of it isn't banned from anywhere now (is it?).

Edited by Phil Deakins
Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 minutes ago, Phil Deakins said:

G was General, wasn't it? There would have been no need for the Linden to raise an eyebrow. General was the level where all the sex stuff was before the Adult level came along. And, even then, the use of sex stuff was not banned from General, just as the use of it isn't banned from Moderate now.

Oh, they used to have a level below that too, I mean outside the teen grid? I didn't know that.

Sex stuff is certainly banned from G rated regions though. The knowledge base says: "Sexually-oriented objects such as 'sex beds' or poseballs may not be located or sold in General regions."

Edited by ChinRey
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, ChinRey said:

Sex stuff is certainly banned from G rated regions though. The knowledge base says: "Sexually-oriented objects such as 'sex beds' or poseballs may not be located or sold in General regions."

Ah ok. Ty. Maybe General came in to allow the teen grid users to come in. I was using my memory, and I would never rely on that :)

I forget what the levels were before Adult came along, but I'm sure there was a level that disallowed adult stuff. I shouldn't have posted in this because my memory can't manage it <sigh>.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

When I joined SL, camping spots were quite popular, and were to be found everywhere. Most fun were the big spots with benches for 20 or 30 avatars. You had to wait until someone stood up, and be quick to catch the seat before someone else did. It was always fun, while chatting to get some free L$. Great way for beginners to collect some easy money for a texture upload, or some clothing item. A reason to stay logged in as well.

Until Bots came along and ruined the whole concept of camping.

 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I make my SL fun. I still talk in local, I still do silly things, I still dress weird at times.. etc. I explore, play games, take pictures, go to events, live singers, dance shows, art galleries, learning places, surf, sail, fly, initiate convos with others and so much more. Yes, a lot of people come to SL to just stand around, we can't change that BUT we can have our own fun. Don't rely on others to be your entertainment, make your own! It's contagious! When I am doing fun things, I get IMs from others wanting to join in. :)

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

14 hours ago, arton Rotaru said:

When I joined SL, camping spots were quite popular, and were to be found everywhere. Most fun were the big spots with benches for 20 or 30 avatars. You had to wait until someone stood up, and be quick to catch the seat before someone else did. It was always fun, while chatting to get some free L$. Great way for beginners to collect some easy money for a texture upload, or some clothing item. A reason to stay logged in as well.

Until camping Bots came along and ruined the whole concept of camping.

Fify :)  I have to defend, and say that most bots weren't designed for, and couldn't do, camping. Some were, I know, but most weren't.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

15 hours ago, arton Rotaru said:

When I joined SL, camping spots were quite popular, and were to be found everywhere. Most fun were the big spots with benches for 20 or 30 avatars. You had to wait until someone stood up, and be quick to catch the seat before someone else did. It was always fun, while chatting to get some free L$. Great way for beginners to collect some easy money for a texture upload, or some clothing item. A reason to stay logged in as well.

There was also an SL gym where you got a few L$ for spending an amount of time on the treadmill :) It was part of an actual research project to see if healthy living in virtual worlds could encourage the same in RL. But most of us just went for the money xD I've also seen clubs that had mopping the floor poses and paid a few L$ every 10 minutes.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On camping:

I never needed to camp but I sometimes did it anyway. One time I was on a 1L per 5 minutes camping dance pad. It actually paid out every 5 minutes instead of paying out when you got off it. While I was on it, the sim went down, and I ended up at Home.

Then I saw that it was still paying me every 5 minutes, and it kept on paying me. So I relogged, expecting that that would stop it. But it didn't. When the sim was back up, I went over to get on the pad again, and get off it to try and stop it. That didn't work either. Nothing I could do would stop it paying me every 5 minutes.

At the end of my day, I logged out, shut the computer down, and went to bed. The next morning I got up and logged back in, expecting to find that it had stopped paying me. But it hadn't. It had kept the payments up all through the night, and it was still doing it. It stopped eventually, when the owner had managed to sort it out.

They don't make camping like that any more lol.

 

Edited by Phil Deakins
  • Like 1
  • Haha 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

27 minutes ago, Phil Deakins said:

On camping:

I never needed to camp but I sometimes did it anyway. One time I was on a 1L per 5 minutes camping dance pad. It actually paid out every 5 minutes instead of paying out when you got off it. While I was on it, the sim went down, and I ended up at Home.

Then I saw that it was still paying me every 5 minutes, and it kept on paying me. So I relogged, expecting that that would stop it. But it didn't. When the sim was back up, I went over to get on the pad again, and get off it to try and stop it. That didn't work either. Nothing I could do would stop it paying me every 5 minutes.

At the end of my day, I logged out, shut the computer down, and went to bed. The next morning I got up and logged back in, expecting to find that it had stopped paying me. But it hadn't. It had kept up with the payments all through the night. It stopped eventually, when the owner had managed to sort it out.

They don't make camping like that any more lol.

 

Did you blow your L$96 all in one place?

  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, Phil Deakins said:

Fify :)  I have to defend, and say that most bots weren't designed for, and couldn't do, camping. Some were, I know, but most weren't.

I know, I exaggerated a bit in that last sentence. ^_^ The whole incentive for region, mall, shop owners and the like, to set up camping spots in the first place, was to game traffic. Something bots took over. Which was done by the same people who provided the camping before. So, nothing to blame bots for indeed.

It's only, competing with bots while camping was kinda frustrating, because they were so quick in occupying the seat, when the poseball kicked you off after 15 minutes, or so.xD

Edited by arton Rotaru
Link to comment
Share on other sites

@arton Rotaru I got into bots purely for the traffic, as everyone in the forums knew back then, so I can imagine how quick they can be at occupying camping spots. I remember avatars, some of whom had real people behind them, waiting for a spot to become free, but I never got involved in that. In fact, after traffic gaming was banned, I actually put 8 camping chairs out in my store. They were on their own little parcel, which wasn't listed in search, so no rules were broken.

I still dabble with bots, but purely for the pleasure of doing it. I have no use for them at all.

Edited by Phil Deakins
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Claireschen Hesten said:

I remember one place that had camping devices that said they paid out L$100 an hour some were L$50/hr you had to jump through so many hoops (i never managed to get it to work) to be able to camp for the L$100/50 an hour that almost no one was using the campers

There was one called The Golden Lion (or Black Lion) Hotel that would pay 50L$ if you stayed in the sim for 30 mins. I think I originally ended up there by chance and was AFK or in IMs, so I was surprised when it went ker-ching.

Once I worked out what had happened, I logged out and went straight back there with an alt ;) But the owner TP'd to me and said "You again!" He was actually quite nice about it but told me to keep it to once a day visits...

Did anyone do PPV? That was so silly - a bunch of avatars running around totally deserted sims for 3 minutes and clicking cones for a couple of $Ls, lol. And if somebody else clicked on the cone at the same time as you it didn't pay either of you. There were never any visitors who weren't there to collect PPV...

Link to comment
Share on other sites

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 311 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...