Good ol days of SL?

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1220 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

39 minutes ago, ItHadToComeToThis said:

Side note. If LL hosted a small grid called SL Classic....where you start over with a fresh inventory but there are tons of freebie stuff and it’s exactly like SL was back in 06-08 but more stable...would you play and how much time would you spend there?.

Very appealing idea, but you'd have to ban mesh, possibly even sculpts, and I'll be honest, the one thing I don't ever want to go back to is system hair.

On 12/5/2020 at 5:26 AM, Robin Kiyori said:

People typing in local chat. Most places are dead silent now.

I agree with you. Just like there are people who completely ignore the open chat and don't even notice that you greet them. Likewise, there are people who think you can smell what language they speak and who are amazed when you greet them first in your own native language and not in English. Then it can also happen that you are insulted as a stupid bot or something like that, instead of saying that you do not understand this language. That was much better at a time when all these external programs weren't as intense, and people's manners used to be better.

• Like 4
  • Confused 1

1 hour ago, ItHadToComeToThis said:

If LL hosted a small grid called SL Classic....where you start over with a fresh inventory but there are tons of freebie stuff and it’s exactly like SL was back in 06-08 but more stable...would you play and how much time would you spend there?.

How would that make sense? I mean, all the old content (or at least most of it) is still there. Want to rock a flexi skirt? Go for it. Old system layers still work aswell. And what isn't arround anymore (the people, the spirit, the places) can't be artifically brought back anyway.

• Like 5

8 hours ago, Stephanie Misfit said:

Prim building, and the amazing prim builders that we lost with the introduction of mesh. I feel that in some ways SL lost a great deal with the introduction of mesh.

There are still a few prim users, who then convert their products from Prims into mesh and save Landimpact and create the fabulous products with it. Z.B. our region construction team is one of the very builders who originally built the buildings on a prim basic and then converted them. And if you look at the buildings with us ........... there is nothing better. Many also forget that it is not only the model that in the end makes the product look good, but primarily the texture. I can still create a model as well, if the texture is deficient, the product as a whole is deficient.

1 hour ago, Akasha Sternberg said:

Good Rock/Metal clubs operating on European times

Unfortunately, this comes from the fact that many Europeans have also adapted to the stupid cliché that everything in SL must be done according to Pacific Standard. For example we have also activated the time zone GMT+1 in the EEP settings in our regions and also all clocks and daily sequences depend on our real time zone and not on that of the Americans.

Edited by Miller Thor
  • Like 1
  • Confused 1

The good old days are right now. They're happening right now. There's no time, no hope, and no potential like that of the present moment. If you don't like the song, sing something different. If you feel disconnected from where the action and love is, sing louder, sing longer, sing in more places, sing in more ways, do it from your heart/center, do it with love. If you can't find the good world, then be a solitary beacon and let that world of good discover you. It is out there. There are 60,000 individuals connecting. It's there, just poorly indexed.

Edited by Chroma Starlight
  • Like 9
  • Thanks 1

As a mesh creator, I agree with the sentiment about prim building.

When I am building my sim, making new products, I am not making them in SecondLife. I'm making them in Blender. And that's a real shame, because one of the things that drew me to SL is that unlike making a game, it's a platform where I can be with others and share with others what I'm making as I make it.

I'm not suggesting recreating Blender in SecondLife, but a basic mesh editor could surely only be a good thing. There are other games that have put basic mesh editors into them before like Trackmania:

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Miller Thor said:

there are people who think you can smell what language they speak and who are amazed when you greet them first in your own native language and not in English.

... and then there are people, who by default great and talk to people in any language that is not English, somehow expecting everyone to understand them.

1 hour ago, Miller Thor said:

Unfortunately, this comes from the fact that many Europeans have also adapted to the stupid cliché that everything in SL must be done according to Pacific Standard.

Thats nonesense. Do you really believe some random European club owner changes their entire RL day/night cicle -just- to be able to run their club on PST? Nah, that would be insanity.

• Like 3

8 hours ago, Syo Emerald said:

How would that make sense? I mean, all the old content (or at least most of it) is still there. Want to rock a flexi skirt? Go for it. Old system layers still work aswell. And what isn't arround anymore (the people, the spirit, the places) can't be artifically brought back anyway.

I agree. Even if SL offered a Basic version you would need enough people to regularly log in to make it worth opening shops, clubs and sims. It would probably end up like the test grid. 

Even if you had the people, it would be pointless unless you could wipe your memory - a lot of the fun was discovering places, people and experiences for the first time. Also, some of the events, fashions and trends were very much of their time - though they bring back good memories for some of us, I don't know if they'd mean much in 2021. It'd be like trying to revive Myspace*...

(* which I still think was x10000 better than Facebook ;) )

Edited by Rat Luv
  • Like 2

I remember checking SL around 2007-2008 and deleting viewer for good not even one hour later, so no memories from there. it sure did look way worse, though. As for my actual joining year (2012) to now. Not missing anything at all.

I like mesh, I like bento and what it made possible, I even somewhat like animesh now (it's still implemented badly, though, so way underused), I like materials, and I like to use IMs over local chat whenever I have any desire to communicate in SL at all. I don't like prim or sculpty builds, flexi-anything, system clothing, system avis and so on.

Answering question about "SL classic" - I wouldn't spend time on that even if someone paid me money to (unless it was a LOT of money), just like I didn't back in 07/08.

• Like 3

10 hours ago, Profaitchikenz Haiku said:

Very appealing idea, but you'd have to ban mesh, possibly even sculpts, and I'll be honest, the one thing I don't ever want to go back to is system hair.

We would have flex hair!.

Maybe that’s the best way for LL to build a “new world”. Start again with a small SL classic grid, better rendering engine and develop again but learning from their past mistakes and implementing features properly and efficiently.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

9 hours ago, Syo Emerald said:

There’s always one!. It’s nothing more than a whimsical fantasy. But, seeing my post above.

Thought experiment for you....

Could starting over again and learning from their mistakes and developing features and implementing them properly and efficiently be the way to go for revamping second life.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Flexi hair is wonderful. It moves as you walk, it blows in the wind, and it fluffs when you dance. It's miles better than plain mesh hair, which too often looks like you are wearing a rubber toupee. Some of my favorite hair is flexi.  I'm glad that at least a few designers are starting to include some flexi in their modern hair.

867340900_Thomsbury-1-5-2020START.png.55c666125a2bb73f2141d8b7115091b5.png

Edited by Rolig Loon
OK, so I typed the wrong word...
  • Like 4

1 minute ago, Rolig Loon said:

Flexi hair is wonderful. It moves as you walk, it blows in the wind, and it fluffs when you dance. It's miles better than plain mesh hair, which too often looks like you are wearing a rubber toupee. Some of my favorite hair is flexi.  I'm glad that at least a few designers are starting to include some mesh in their modern hair.

867340900_Thomsbury-1-5-2020START.png.55c666125a2bb73f2141d8b7115091b5.png

I have a style from Argrace that does this. It's a shortish cut, so there's no need for the entire head of hair to move: they've just added small bits of flexi which give the appearance of movement when you walk or dance. It's really cleverly done: like you, I wish more creators would do this.

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, ItHadToComeToThis said:

There’s always one!. It’s nothing more than a whimsical fantasy. But, seeing my post above.

Thought experiment for you....

Could starting over again and learning from their mistakes and developing features and implementing them properly and efficiently be the way to go for revamping second life.

I think first one would have to decide if SL is worth revamping. Won't someone think of the holodecks? I've wanted a holodeck since I was 6 almost 7 (by one day!) years old. In 1966.

It would be better if they just started with a new engine, one that is capable of VR but isn't required. It wouldn't really take any more work than revamping and maybe less. 

One of the biggest problems SL has always had is the fact that it was opened to the public when it was still in beta and has never made it out of the beta stage (officially, that I know of). 

I'd much rather have some new voxel type terrain that can be tunneled into to create caves and such. If only some company would figure out a way to combine SL with space exploration and colonization like what you can do in Empyrion with less emphasis on combat and more on exploration and colonization. You can be a farmer, trader, pirate, ship's captain, etc or just be yourself and hitchhike around the galaxy. And nearly every bit of it is resident created.

It's Christmas and I'm still dreaming of holodecks.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

27 minutes ago, Rolig Loon said:

Flexi hair is wonderful. It moves as you walk, it blows in the wind, and it fluffs when you dance. It's miles better than plain mesh hair, which too often looks like you are wearing a rubber toupee

To each their own. In my opinion it looks jerky, anything, but natural and unless it's a super short hairstyle will clip into the body a lot, even more so if you're wearing more clothes than a simple tank top. And flexi strands mixed into mesh the mesh look even worse, comparable in weirdness to some older "animated" mesh hair. Not trying to argue, though. Like I already said we all have different likes and dislikes. And yes, my first few hair in 2012 were flexi, too, didn't miss them ever since.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, steeljane42 said:

Not trying to argue, though. Like I already said we all have different likes and dislikes.

Yeah, me either.  It's easy to find bad hair in any style, even in RL(!), and we all have different opinions about what's bad.  Some flexi is way too loose and floppy, like flyaway hair in RL, and long hair does clip unnaturally.  Flexi pony tails are fun, though, and short hair that bounces as you walk can be very sexy.  Anyway, as you say, de gustibus etc....   :)

• Like 2

All this talk about flexi  hair!  What I miss is that back when I started in 2009, everyone had it and no one cared if it clipped into your body.  People cared less about silly things like that IMO.  Ever since the advent of the first mesh body parts, it seems as though it's become acceptable to look down on anyone who isn't 'up to standards'.  I've seen people poking fun of others in local for flexi hair, not having a mesh head or body, outdated clothing.  I think back then, we were all on a more level playing field in regards to our appearance.  There was one body, one head, we all wore system clothes and most all of our hair moved a little.  

It's sad we've lost that more tolerant SL.

Edited by RowanMinx
  • Like 8
  • Haha 1

11 hours ago, Extrude Ragu said:

I'm not suggesting recreating Blender in SecondLife, but a basic mesh editor could surely only be a good thing. There are other games that have put basic mesh editors into them before like Trackmania:

The work around and compromise is to bypass linden lab with 3rd party viewers offering a "Mesh Tool Kit" with a separate Sub Folder accessed through it's own build menu... with lets say 1000 premade shapes that offer AO Maps/Physics donated from caring creators across the grid....with the build menu whenever you rezz the mesh objects they show you as creator..this collection could grow and even offer clothing and special objects if enough creators help get it off the ground.

Not a perfect solution but I think it could really spark a creative boost to our community

We cannot depend on LL to do it..The community has done it in the past.... if you remember how fitted mesh came to be.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, ItHadToComeToThis said:

We would have flex hair!.

Maybe that’s the best way for LL to build a “new world”. Start again with a small SL classic grid, better rendering engine and develop again but learning from their past mistakes and implementing features properly and efficiently.

5 hours ago, Rolig Loon said:

Flexi hair is wonderful. It moves as you walk, it blows in the wind, and it fluffs when you dance. It's miles better than plain mesh hair, which too often looks like you are wearing a rubber toupee. Some of my favorite hair is flexi.  I'm glad that at least a few designers are starting to include some flexi in their modern hair.

5 hours ago, Scylla Rhiadra said:

I have a style from Argrace that does this. It's a shortish cut, so there's no need for the entire head of hair to move: they've just added small bits of flexi which give the appearance of movement when you walk or dance. It's really cleverly done: like you, I wish more creators would do this.

Flexible prims have no collision properties and will clip through heads, shoulders, boobs, backs, arms, legs, anything.

We need dynamic bones and colliders. Not just for hair, but also for dresses, skirts, tails, bits and organics.

Many, if not most, of the MMOs created in the last 8 years use them.

I wish SL wasn't perpetually years behind the standards, heh.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Rolig Loon said:

Flexi hair is wonderful. It moves as you walk, it blows in the wind, and it fluffs when you dance. 

I saw a wonderful flexi hair at a party t'other night. Longggg, flowing curly redhead locks. I spent 30 seconds appreciating the look and the next 30 minutes mulling over what the complexity might have been  :|

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1220 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.