Good ol days of SL?

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1225 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

9 minutes ago, LittleMe Jewell said:

Not knowing or caring about Avatar Complexity -- I miss all those wonderful flexi gowns and hairs.

A few creators are starting to add some flexi parts to their stiff mesh creations, but it just isn't the same.

IKR!  What woman doesn't love to twirl in one of those gowns?  There was just something so realistic about a dress/gown that moved as you danced.  

• Like 6

The size of the world back then,it seemed much larger.. There were tons of regions back then it seemed.. plus all the really big clubs and active night life..

It seemed like clubs were a place that attracted people the region communities.. Like the one i worked for, GOL.. They had over 20 regions at one point with rentals and water sims and all kinds of other things..

Beaches and malls all kind of doing that same thing.. A lot of places seemed to be more than just one sim for their communities..

• Like 8

22 minutes ago, Eddy Vortex said:

Long gone sims such as the Frank Lloyd Wright Virtual Museum.

I loved that place, and was good friends with the museum's director. (I officiated at his wedding!) Sadly, he passed away a few years ago.

He was a very sweet guy, and interesting. I miss him.

• Like 5

9 minutes ago, RowanMinx said:

IKR!  What woman doesn't love to twirl in one of those gowns?  There was just something so realistic about a dress/gown that moved as you danced.  

I loved to do handstands in my flexi ball gowns. I looked like something Georgio O'Keefe might have painted, had she done magic mushrooms.

• Like 5
  • Haha 8

2 minutes ago, Rat Luv said:

Mesh builds do look very beautiful and realistic...they're very soft light and pastel...I kind of miss the bright, loud, cartoony shops and clubs...lol.

I find most of the clubs are still pretty cartoony. Just with mesh.

But god I do NOT miss the ugly malls. My delicate aesthetic sensibilities have yet to recover from the damage they inflicted.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

9 minutes ago, Robin Kiyori said:

People typing in local chat. Mostplaces are dead silent now.

I've wondered if this has to do with the use of outside voice choices.  I've seen people say they were chatting on Skype/Discord if anyone would like to join.

• Like 3

I miss being amazed by the magic of everything, being impressed by the clothing and hair, made of flexi prims, seeing stuff that was scripted so it actually did stuff and being blown away by how realistic that friend's avatar looked after she bought this new skin.

Things were so much simpler then, we could still build with prims and it would actually be considered good. I can find a couple of builds in-world which I can show people and they would often be surprised that it was all made of prims, not a sculptie, let alone mesh, in sight.

Edited by Fritigern Gothly
  • Like 10

I miss the level of innovation in the features Andrew and Kelly Linden gave us every quarter.

That ended after December 2013.

There haven't been any Lindens that work on features full time since.

The primary developer that offers features has been working on anything but for over a year now.

It's the same with all other senior staff who seem to be the only other employees allowed to work on features.

No other "game" company I'm aware of operates like this.

• Like 5

8 minutes ago, Robin Kiyori said:
27 minutes ago, Eddy Vortex said:

I just remembered another one: when group chats were stable and everyone's texts went through smoothly.

When was this glorious time?

In my very early days -- back in 2007 -- group chat seemed to always work right, or almost always.  I don't remember messages just flat out getting dropped, but sometimes they would lag and appear out of order.   That didn't happen very often though.

However, by sometime in 2009 group chat was starting to experience problems, though mostly just with the larger groups and only sometimes with the smaller ones.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, LittleMe Jewell said:

In my very early days -- back in 2007 -- group chat seemed to always work right, or almost always.  I don't remember messages just flat out getting dropped, but sometimes they would lag and appear out of order.   That didn't happen very often though.

However, by sometime in 2009 group chat was starting to experience problems, though mostly just with the larger groups and only sometimes with the smaller ones.

*stares into the distance*

Yep, those were the days. I remember it wasn't that bad in 2010.  There was an occasional chat lag, but it wasn't nowhere as bad as every day since 2019.

• Like 1

1. The ability for all users to build the SL world inworld. That was the way that SL worked in the good ol' days, but sculpties started the decline, and mesh completely killed it. Things look a lot better now, but the very nature of SL died.

2. LL getting involved in offworld sales (the marketplace) was also detrimental to the nature of SL, but not as much as the killer mesh.

Those two things destroyed the fundamental nature of Second Life. The "good ol' days" were much better, imo.

Edited by Phil Deakins
  • Like 11

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1225 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.