My avatar's shape has gone missing!

Missnicety1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1236 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I really hope someone can help me.  I've already submitted a ticket with Support about this.  I spent over two weeks working on my avi, saved the shape, used it numerous times over different outfits, changed clothes yesterday and now the system seems to have lost it.  I get an error every time I change outfits saying that my shape cannot be found. The one I saved as a copy has also gone missing and I am so annoyed now, having wasted so much time on creating it!  Can anyone help with this at all please?

4 hours ago, Missnicety1 said:

I really hope someone can help me.  I've already submitted a ticket with Support about this.  I spent over two weeks working on my avi, saved the shape, used it numerous times over different outfits, changed clothes yesterday and now the system seems to have lost it.  I get an error every time I change outfits saying that my shape cannot be found. The one I saved as a copy has also gone missing and I am so annoyed now, having wasted so much time on creating it!  Can anyone help with this at all please?

Try clearing inventory cache, log out, reboot your modem, log back into Tromp region, open inventory and let it load completely.  

• Thanks 1

It may just be temporary. I once had several shapes go "missing" with the same error. I made new ones (fortunately I remember most of the important numbers) but every time I wore a new one THAT went missing too. But the next day they were all back to normal.

I had that happen while trying to save a minor change I made to my shape. Knowing that the grid has been acting weird lately, I decided to walk over the border to the next region. I opened the appearance editor and saved the shape without error. Might not work for you, but it's worth a try.

Really bad connection can cause it sometimes from what I've been told (never had this problem myself thankfully). No idea if you'll be able to restore the shape or not, but next time make a backup either through Firestorm's (maybe other viewers too, no idea) shape to XML feature. Developer (tab on top) > Avatar > Character Tests > Appearance to XML. Or just write down the numbers into notecard/notepad/both.

That way if it breaks or goes missing again, the matter of restoring it will be either a few seconds through FS' shape import (just make a new shape, then press import tab there and select your saved xml file) or a few minutes if do it manually.

• Like 2

Hopefully it will return and the advice to back up to XML is a good one. I imported shapes into Opensim grids this way with ease.

BUT, that being said, the grid (from literally everyone I have talked to lately ) is pretty damn wonky lately. Back like in the "old days" which many folks never got to experience. WHY we can only guess, but we can definitely see the problems. I have had my issues too and other creators are pulling out hair. 

You would think that sending your shape (assuming it is transfer as in you made it yourself) to an alt would solve the issue but it doesn't. I tried that with some things a few years ago and we ALL lost them. And they were things "I" had made and only textures. Pretty simple yet GONE.  

I just found a whole folder of Christmas stuff missing.  This has got to be my twentieth at least inventory loss (and yes they really were losses) SO the best thing you can do IMO (not just for your homemade shape) is to

1, Buy on the Marketplace or where the store has redelivery" (that won't always work but sometimes).

2. Take things up as coalesced objects rather than copies of a single object (I have retrieved a LOT this way even though I was only doing it for simplicity sake, not protection). 

3.Try and be philosophical about it knowing that if you pay ATTENTION to your inventory you will inevitably notice items no longer there.  

4. Be on good terms with creators (LOL) who understand  --like when I asked a very prominent creator the other day  for a copy of some ANCIENT snow tiles she had made oh so long ago.  She found them, the sweetheart. She had lost things too. 

I sincerely hope you get "yourself" back. 

PS.  You do understand hopefully that making an outfit is not really a copy -- just a link to the very same shape file.  

Edited by Chic Aeon
spelling

On 12/4/2020 at 5:56 PM, Missnicety1 said:

Thanks for all the suggestions - will give them all a go.  If they don't work I'll just try to the shape as close to the old one as possible and back it up.  Thanks again :)

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1236 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.