Thanksgiving Bakefail

Keishaa Meili

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 855 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

https://status.secondlifegrid.net/incidents/3mnd3071dh9p

Those who don't know what I'm talking about, over here will find a short resume, the page LL dedicated to the incident.

I'm here to try to do a small count of the people affected. Being a user of the infamous Metachat app, i've been hit by the issue on wednesday 25th. Issued a ticket immediately after seeing two new folders appearing in my inventory (the "Current Look" ones you can see in the attached file). Folders I cannot touch and, of course, delete.  

We were just before Thanksgiving. Had a first automatic reply by LL immediately; then three replies along the next days by the kind Dottie Linden. I've been reassured they will fix the issue, so I am patiently waiting. Is a ten days wait for an issue like this just normal? Is it taking longer than usual? Will it take weeks? Months?

Just to know.

Peace, 

Schermata 2020-12-04 alle 09.56.24.png

39 minutes ago, Keishaa Meili said:

I'm here to try to do a small count of the people affected.

you won't find the people affected, because only a very small amount of SL residents come to to forums

40 minutes ago, Keishaa Meili said:

I am patiently waiting. Is a ten days wait for an issue like this just normal? Is it taking longer than usual? Will it take weeks? Months?

Just to know.

its going to take the time it takes. As you got responses on the tickets, it's something they work on, or at least is on the list to fix.
There are ten year old issues that never got fixed, and a day old issues that get fixed in a minute.. so it will be somewhere between that :)

• Like 1

If you can compile a viewer yourself, a patched version would allow you to delete the offending folders. You may want to try the Cool VL Viewer which is easy to build and which code already contains an exception for OpenSim grids and the COF (allowing you to delete the latter in OS grids, since it is not mandatory there).

The line to change to allow deleting the ”Current Look” folders is in linden/indra/llinventory/llfoldertype.cpp, line 142. Change that line to read:

if (folder_type == FT_CURRENT_OUTFIT)

(i.e. remove ” && sCanDeleteCOF” from it).

Recompile the viewer, log in, delete the two offending folders.

BEWARE however: DO NOT, under ANY PRETEXT, delete the ”Current Outfit” folder in SL (and if there are several folders named ”Current Outfit”, do NOT delete any of them, but let LL support deal with them): deleting the COF would cause bake failures, even after recreating it (I know first hand, because I deleted mine by mistake once during a viewer testing session): the reason is that its version (i.e. the number of times it got updated) is somehow kept in SL's servers and as long as its version is lesser than the one used for the last successful bake, you cannot rebake with it. I reported that bug (that I worked around for my account by rebaking for hours via scripted RLV @attach/@dettach actions until the new COF version got greater than the old deleted COF version), years ago, but I doubt LL fixed it...

23 minutes ago, Henri Beauchamp said:

If you can compile a viewer yourself, a patched version would allow you to delete the offending folders.

Appreciate the time you spent to show me how i could mend the issue. Thanks a lot, Henri! 

Promise i will spend my time on it: somehow I have to kill the wait until LL will intervene, and I could even be faster. Lets keep working...  

9 minutes ago, Keishaa Meili said:

Promise i will spend my time on it: somehow I have to kill the wait until LL will intervene, and I could even be faster. Lets keep working...  

If you got a Linux PC, I'd recommend building the viewer under it, since it's just a matter of typing a single command in a terminal pointed at the viewer sources !

Windows and macOS require installing IDEs (VS2017, XCode11), which is a more complex task than building the viewer itself once they are installed...

Just to announce that the fix has been deployed, after all this waiting, and it worked smoothly on me.

I still got the offending folders where the Metachat app put them, I don't dare touching them, but I can see myself and my friends DO see me, at last. 

A big "thank you" to every Linden involved. 

KM

9 hours ago, Keishaa Meili said:

Just to announce that the fix has been deployed, after all this waiting, and it worked smoothly on me.

I still got the offending folders where the Metachat app put them, I don't dare touching them, but I can see myself and my friends DO see me, at last. 

A big "thank you" to every Linden involved. 

KM

I wish they would deploy it to me.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Emerald Heartsong said:

I wish they would deploy it to me.

9 hours ago, Oz Linden said:

There are many sorts of problems that can cause a bake fail; it's possible that you have a different one.

The fix I'm working on now is for login, not the simulators, so simulator rolls won't fix them (the next agni login see on the status blog should be the fix being deployed, unless something worse happens in the mean time).

For most inventory problems, we have an option that can be set by Support to fix them, and it will be applied the next time the account logs in (this avoids us having to worry about changing inventory while a user is logged in, or preventing logins while we are changing inventory). I'm extending that repair to include more of the ways that the Current Outfit can be messed up (including duplicates). We will try to automatically identify accounts that are in this most recent problematic state and queue up the fix for their next login. 

Just now, Emerald Heartsong said:

Thing is... I asked Support to fix my inventory. They keep saying it's the the Thanksgiving Bakefail...and still 9 days later, I'm still sitting her...a cloud.

They just started rolling that fix out today.  There seems to be a lot of people on the list too.  It took them some time to identify and work out a solution since it wasn't their product that caused the problem.

• Like 1

Just now, RowanMinx said:

They just started rolling that fix out today.  There seems to be a lot of people on the list too.  It took them some time to identify and work out a solution since it wasn't their product that caused the problem.

Understandable. I just wish my inventory would be fixed, it might solve my issue but who knows, maybe the relog once it's deployed to me will help me.

I think that some people's problems may not be fixed with the current fix. My bots don't have the Current Outfit / Current Look problem that's being associated with logging in. They log in ok, and they can move around and chat, etc. but they remain as clouds when I log them in with Corrade or with OpenMetaverse 0.9.1. They are fine with OpenMetaverse 0.9.3. Oz asked me for a couple of their names, presumably to check their inventories, so I think he's looking further than the current fix.

Edited by Phil Deakins

On 12/4/2020 at 10:26 AM, Keishaa Meili said:

https://status.secondlifegrid.net/incidents/3mnd3071dh9p

Those who don't know what I'm talking about, over here will find a short resume, the page LL dedicated to the incident.

I'm here to try to do a small count of the people affected. Being a user of the infamous Metachat app, i've been hit by the issue on wednesday 25th. Issued a ticket immediately after seeing two new folders appearing in my inventory (the "Current Look" ones you can see in the attached file). Folders I cannot touch and, of course, delete.  

We were just before Thanksgiving. Had a first automatic reply by LL immediately; then three replies along the next days by the kind Dottie Linden. I've been reassured they will fix the issue, so I am patiently waiting. Is a ten days wait for an issue like this just normal? Is it taking longer than usual? Will it take weeks? Months?

Just to know.

Peace, 

Schermata 2020-12-04 alle 09.56.24.png

On same boat, something I have noticed on my last METACHAT day, the 30th of Nov 2020, was that Friends list was not loading at all in the app. Only able to use IM if anyone IM me..and only with those who IM'ed me.. Sick of this Bug I logged off, and went to Firestorm to see this Problem.

showing up as fog to others, Gray skin and fully dressed. I have Tried: new avatar, cache clear, other viewers, delete content on some current Look folders (via radgast app. DOES NOT WORK). file Ticket, speak with a Linden member in game.. waiting news. 
Wear a mask. Keep safe. Peace.

On 12/5/2020 at 3:12 AM, RowanMinx said:

Something I have noticed on my last METACHAT day, the 30th of Nov 2020, was that Friends list was not loading at all in the Metachat app. Only able to use IM if anyone IM me..and only with those who IM'ed me.. Sick of this Bug I logged off, and went to Firestorm to find this Problem.

I'm still having this problem for a long damn time and I tried everything restarting and all and it keeps saying failed to find this or that in the database, this has been happening for days now and I feel like I'm never playing SL again because nothing is being done about this and I have to buy a ticket in order to talk with a representative, like this is insane, I'm heavily upset by this like wow I'm still a cloud and nothing is loading for me while everyone else somehow is fine.

On 12/4/2020 at 9:49 AM, Keishaa Meili said:

No, it has not been ... I'm typing as fast as I can...

If your avatar is working, you had a different problem.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Ahh i miss read some other elements in this threat, sorry about that!

Well the work is much appreciated and i do understand it has to be technically a nightmare when another app alters data in the SL DB

Avatar is not working but am able to be in world,.. walking around as a cloud and stuff. but not able to be seen.  Have those multiple current outfit folders as well

thanks in advance for the work Oz!!

Damien

Hey there. Im also affected by the TG Bakefail. And its very frustrating. I banned the Metachat App. But actually im a cloud to others and grey to myself. Dottie was very kind but she couldnt say how much time it will take to fix. Still waiting... Has anybody some Updates to this Issue? Anyway.. Happy Day :-))

On 12/6/2020 at 4:15 PM, Oz Linden said:

No, it has not been ... I'm typing as fast as I can...

If your avatar is working, you had a different problem.

Uh oh. So it seems that when I finally could SEE myself (and be seen by others) I just had a HUGE moment of luck. Anyway, I'm sure I had the Metachat problem, because I just still can see the offending folders (the infamous Current Look ones) in the inventory. But I thought LL just found the way to bypass them. Not the case, apparently, and I'm very sorry for that because it means that NOONE else but me was able to feel good again. 

What did I do? I don't know. I spent some time trying to shuffle the folders: I just jumped into the ONLY Current Look folder I could open and changed the four or five items I could find there with some original baseline items, trying to see if there was any way to Rez. I did it twice, if I remember well: the first time I did it two or three days after the problem manifested, and with some tweaks here and there, this way I managed to see a very bad version of me. Then tried putting on another outfit and yes, it worked. But NOONE else could see me for hours, anyway, so I knew it was just a temporary fix. And when I reloaded, I was again a puff of smoke for everyone.

I put aside this amateur fix for some days. Then tried it again the very same day I found my looks back, if I do remember well, just to kill time. But I couldn't make it work, so I was desperately trying to remember what I had already done days before and was wondering what I was doing wrong.  

Then I logged off and then, some hours later, I logged on again and *wham*, here I was, and this time everyone could see me, I was able to change looks, put on my fav outfit and was even able to log off and coming back on without becoming a smoke ball again. 

So I thought the fix was on, and I never thought about it again. Just too happy to see everything back to the way it used to be. It seems now that It was not the case: apologize to those who were living the illusion the fix was imminent. It was not, and still it isn't, it seems. 

All I can do is sharing my experience, hoping someone could be able to have the very same luck I had just mixing and messing with the folders contents. Right now, all I can say is that all I'm wearing DOES NOT go to the Current Outfit Folder but in the Current Look one, where I can find everything I'm currently wearing and everything I put on from time to time. The Current Outfit Folder is full of things I AM NOT wearing, an outfit I had on BEFORE starting to change again for good. And I changed much, even the mesh body. Everyone is seeing me right now, 

Hope this helps,

Peace  

Edited by Keishaa Meili
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Keishaa Meili said:

Uh oh. So it seems that when I finally could SEE myself (and be seen by others) I just had a HUGE moment of luck. Anyway, I'm sure I had the Metachat problem, because I just still can see the offending folders (the infamous Current Look ones) in the inventory.

As I see it (from a long time (13+ years) SL viewer developer), the problem is that the ”Current Look” folders you have in your inventory bear the same type code as the genuine ”Current Outfit” (COF) folder: there is normally only ONE such folder at the root of your inventory, and when dealing with the COF, the viewer (and probably the sever alike) simply scans the root folder of your inventory for the first (and normally only) folder with the COF type code: and uses it for all baking operations.

Depending on the order in which the folders appear in your inventory (this is not the sort order but the order in the inventory tree), any of the three folders you got could be found by the viewer and/or the server, and there is not even any guarantee that both the viewer and the server will find the same folder when rebaking, meaning the viewer will update one folder with what you are wearing and the server might look in another for what you are wearing !

It means that, by pure luck , you could happen to have both the server and the viewer updating and using the same COF-type folder for one session, and not for the next !  Add to this, the folder version issue (that I explained in my former post) and in fact you can only see your avatar baking when the genuine COF is found first by both the viewer and the server: good luck with that !

The method I described in my previous post (patching a viewer, compiling it, and using it to get rid of the ”Current Look” folders) should solve your issue. Else, you'll have to wait until LL writes a script, tests it, and runs it on your inventory database...

I was able to fix myself.  Here are the steps I took.

Install the Radegast viewer.  It's not a graphical viewer but it gives you access to your inventory but more importantly the ability to delete the offending 'Current Look' and or 'Current Outfit' folders off the root of your Inventory.

Next with my normal viewer I inspected my 'Trash' to ensure that nothing in the Trash was something I wanted to keep.  This is essential as in a few steps you will be emptying *everything* in your Trash. So Restore or Move (Drag and Drop) anything you want to keep from your trash now.  Once you are satisfied that everything in the Trash is okay to delete, close your current viewer.

Open the Radegast viewer and navigate to your Inventory.  Find the offending folders in your Root.  In my case I had both 'Current Outfit' and 'Current Look' folders. Now this is a critical step.  One by one, highlight the folder you wish to remove and press the Delete key.  I deleted all the Current Look AND Current Outfit folders.  Yes, all of them. A new Current Outfit folder will be created when you log back in later. CAREFUL HERE.  Make sure to click on the folder you want to remove and then press the Delete key once only! (The 'Delete' key on your keyboard. After all the folders you wish to remove have been deleted, exit this viewer (The folders you deleted are in your Trash and can be restored).

Enter your normal viewer -- now it may take a little longer for you to rez, and that's okay -- you are not cured yet so you will likely look the same be it a cloud, or your AV is grey or partly so.  When you are able, open your inventory and go to your trash.  You should see the offending folders you deleted in your Trash.  Note: You cannot click on those folders and 'Purge' the item like you normally would -- these are still 'System' Folders in your Trash.  The only way that I know of to remove them is to right click on your main Trash folder and select 'Empty Trash'.  You may receive and warning about emptying all the items in your trash, but since we've already checked our trash we are good to do so.  Once your trash is emptied, log off and then log back in.  Now that those offending system folders have been removed you should rez normally.  At least I did.

Edited by Feelfreeto
Adding details.
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 2

If there was a way to bump  up @Feelfreeto's comment, I would.

Residents, help yourselves with this wonderful and easy fix she has taken time to post about. Followed her steps, asked questions specifically in-world, and she was very  helpful and quick response. I can now go back to enjoying time on SL. Many thank yous to you.

Edited by Reunokou
mispelled pronoun... apologies.
  • Like 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 855 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.