"Sim" owner looking for land to roleplay.

AchillesAlpharius

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 159 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

A few friends of mine decided to start a RP space. They settled on 1/4th of a sim because that's what they could afford without any effort. People came in, their traffic was solid and they were excited. People wanted to start renting on their place and that was great. The few space they had set aside filled up. More people wanted to live where they RP'd. So they decided if people wanted to rent they could take a risk and go up to half a sim.

That's when things went downhill. People moved out, the "ooh shiny, a new sim" wore off, the traffic went down. Because traffic went down more people moved out. Eventually it was just them, me and some guy none of us could stand that was basically using their furniture for his hookups ignoring the theme of the sim. So they closed down because they couldn't afford the cost and the traffic bottomed out.

People, can't trust 'em.

30 minutes ago, Harley Ravenhurst said:

A few friends of mine decided to start a RP space. They settled on 1/4th of a sim because that's what they could afford without any effort. People came in, their traffic was solid and they were excited. People wanted to start renting on their place and that was great. The few space they had set aside filled up. More people wanted to live where they RP'd. So they decided if people wanted to rent they could take a risk and go up to half a sim.

That's when things went downhill. People moved out, the "ooh shiny, a new sim" wore off, the traffic went down. Because traffic went down more people moved out. Eventually it was just them, me and some guy none of us could stand that was basically using their furniture for his hookups ignoring the theme of the sim. So they closed down because they couldn't afford the cost and the traffic bottomed out.

People, can't trust 'em.

That's sort of what I'm getting at.  Just you and your friend with enough land you can both easily afford without depending on rentals and such.  Even an investor has no real incentive to continue investing or may just decide to.do something else with the land they pay for.  

• 2 weeks later...

I've been thinking (and saying) this for way too many years. LL needs to get over the attitude of homestead must be tied to full region. That is partly how Active Worlds has managed to keep the AW grid open for 25 years. By offering more than one or two "sizes". 

[spoiler]image.png.8dd29a017d44f690fd2d1fe7871423d6.png [/spoiler]

I'm not suggesting that LL offer different sized regions (sqm) just different "levels" of LI. Break up what they already have a bit more. Maybe something in between homestead and full and something above full. Or just stick what what they have and allow people to purchase homesteads without having to own a region. It's having to own a full region first that is a huge financial block for most that want land.

Unless, of course, all the people I've talked with and listened to over the years were all lying to me. 😬

Oh for crying out loud @Linden Lab fix the freaking spoilers. It is not hard to do.

Edited by Silent Mistwalker
  • Like 3

• 1 month later...

The moment you share the cost of land with anyone, you inevitably open yourself up to the opportunity of there being drama over it. 

So really, if you're going to run a RP sim you're best doing it with one 'owner'. Otherwise it is a recipe for disaster. I cannot tell you how many sims I have seen go under because the owners argued and fell out with each other. 

Oh as for land you can rent from someone and start out small and if other area around the rented land are open you can probably ask to rent those spaces as well. I know currently I'm renting land on a 1/4 Homestead of my RP space and really its a good size area with neighbors and cheap too for each week. I'm hoping when I get more people to join in we can expand a bit more when the other spaces come open. I hope the person who made this post reads this. 

• 2 weeks later...
You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 159 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.