"Sim" owner looking for land to roleplay.

AchillesAlpharius

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 237 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Hello there! Thanks for taking a look at this. Let me explain my situation!

I am part of a two person operation with a player base and a full sim concept with systems that is finishing development, our problem right now is that we simply have no land to roleplay on and do not currently have the financial means by which to acquire land to roleplay on, partially due to personal financial situations and the linden land situation. We are hoping to find a financial backer or multiple backers for our project that is going to be Game of Thrones based with very unique concepts. We hope that the coming House of the Dragon HBO show will also help us kick up membership. 

If anyone is interested in possibly backing us or partially backing our roleplay project and joining our community, please contact me here or on discord at CleverPolarBear#9231

Thank you so much for reading and I hope you have a very happy holidays 😄

• Confused 2

I dont mean to be rude but the current situation in the world has hit most of us. But besides that: what would be the incentive for someone to fork out a few hundred dollars a month for you to realize your concept? Maybe you should look if there are commercial possibilities for your idea/system and see if you can realize your project by marketing it as a concept that people can buy. That way you make it sustainable on its own and you can further develop it.

Edited by Jules Catlyn
Fixed a booboo
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Jules raises some good points, I think. That's asking a lot of someone financially without much offered in return. I don't think it's unreasonable to look for a financial backer / angel investor for a sim, but that needs to be a partnership that benefits both sides. I own a homestead myself that sees mostly private use because I simply lack the time to advertise and nurture a playerbase, but finding someone to take that over who shares my vision for the RP is an equally big ask. What happens if we disagree? What if I log on one day and realize I can't stand the community?

I think an important question to answer here is what would make your sim differ from the other big game of thrones sims. That space in particular is both crowded and carries a lot of baggage. GOT sims pop up fairly often and the smaller ones often find themselves contending with troublemakers the bigger ones have already gotten rid of. Some are more like a flash in a pan, burning hot and bright until they burn themselves out on drama. 

Like Jules, I don't post any of this to be mean. I really do hope you find a backer(s) and can make this become a reality.

Good questions. Without revealing to much about the concept and the systems. This is going to be run much similar to a tabletop RPG than what other sims have been able to provide in the past. There is also going to be a system for each GOT house to improve their landholdings, army, etc. over the course of the roleplay and use those resources in order to further their own means. We have both a physical, and social combat system in place that is both simple to use and covers all the bases for roleplay. As well, we are including the fantasy elements of game of thrones and will also have magic users in limited amounts with a fair and balanced system for their use. I can assure everyone this is not like any GOT sim anyone has played at before, despite the stigma associated with the genre.

I am experienced at running sims and have been on admin teams before for a few major player sims. I know what it takes to successfully run a sim and I have no other motivations other than to see the sim succeed and do well.

Everybody always has the new great patented idea that's going to be better than everyone else's, but they just need someone to take all the risk and foot all the bills for them.

Has that ever worked for anyone, I wonder?

You want someone to pay hundreds of dollars a month, tell us what's in it for us, not how great your idea is that you can't reveal "to much about".

2 hours ago, KatsumiShimazaki said:

Creating new sims with the same theme is only watering down roleplay members. 

100% THIS.

Sim 1: "Our sim is using a World of Darkness theme. We have werewolves, vampires, mages and fae."

Sim 2: "Our sim is using an Underworld theme with some changes. We have lycans, vampires, witches and faeries."

Sim 1: Ours is set in New Orleans.

Sim 2: Ours is set in a fictional town in Louisiana.

• Like 6
  • Haha 1

On 12/3/2020 at 7:40 AM, Harley Ravenhurst said:

100% THIS.

Sim 1: "Our sim is using a World of Darkness theme. We have werewolves, vampires, mages and fae."

Sim 2: "Our sim is using an Underworld theme with some changes. We have lycans, vampires, witches and faeries."

This is what is wrong with the star trek community right now, everybody and their brother is doing it,  mostly everybody that's doing it also bans their biggest and brightest supporters biting them in the butts there too.  

On 12/3/2020 at 3:40 PM, Harley Ravenhurst said:

Yeah but where's my Karnsteinesque Hammer style Gothic/romantic horror RP sims that aren't full of try-hard wannabe grimdark anti-superhero roleplayers? Huffs.

• Haha 1

The problem is not a lot of people have money right now due to the pandemic. I owned land for like a few months until I couldn't really afford it until i met someone who i pay rent to on half of the land monthly because its a 1/4 land plot. It's best to find a group of people who might be able to help with a bit of profit if your going for a full sim. My friend lives in Belgium and has lower cost on land than USA does. As for theme for an RP it might be best go looking in groups inworld and just do like "Hey i am looking for people to roleplay with for more information please send me a notecard or IM). At best until this pandemic subsides and land sales are back truly you can only have someone to back up on rent if you choose to rent or just wait until land sales are back again.

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/5/2020 at 12:24 AM, Alwin Alcott said:

RL or SL?

SL friend the lower of land costs is in dollar range because his country has a different currency than US dollars has which makes it easier to purchase lindens and land. We gave up the land we had rented because he couldn't afford it and barely anyone was using it so we all moved on. 

• Confused 2

On 12/2/2020 at 11:34 AM, AchillesAlpharius said:

I am part of a two person operation with a player base and a full sim concept with systems that is finishing development

Sounds interestnig; keep us updated on your progress. 

My first thought toward financing is that "player base" you mention, which typically is how roleplays try to finance themselves.  Of course, you need a healthy player base that loves your system well enough to want to help toward sustaining it.  Reminds me of an early medieval fantasy combat RP called Ambrea encompassing some 13 sims in huge continent of many active rp groups and factions.  Opportunities for interaction were all but endless. The combat system, called RPS, was entirely unique and included a progression ladder for a slow accretion of power and skills on a HUD/meter system that tracked progress over rp time and based upon ingame experience built by interactions including combat itself to work your way up each level. That system involved some real skills players could develop and that was addicting. That's different from the widely popular Gorean system, where there are hno levels, just player skills. The gorean bow fighting is a very good, better than RPS in my opinion, but it's melee system is utterly inferior to what RPS was in terms of skill developing opportunities and therefore, fun. Gorean sword fighting is like slashing in a mudbath with blindfolds and only lasts a matter of seconds.  The Ambrea weaspon system was so  good that players paid an ingame monthly subscription fee in $Lindens to the builder in order to keep their HUD & meters active!  It was a free system to use up to level 3 ( of 9 levels), so townies and village folk might play at that, but the tension out in the outerlands between factions meant ALL else wanted the abilbity to build their skills according to their fantasy race and cultural powers in magics, combat, healing, flying and so on.  That system's success and desireability brought in income that contributed to region coss.  Plus, there was an active marketplace in the sky to supply varous rp stuffs, and where all weapons developers sold their ever new development of various and unique weapons,  potions and so one. This too helps contribute toward costs. 

We know that success breeds further success.  I suspect you have achieved in these first steps of creating yoru ststem vision, by the sound of it, but now you need a NEXT step, and you conceive it rightly as LANDS on which to build out the products of your system. I like the idea of collabing with those rp regions already in existence right now that might be attracted to your ideas and maybe even your system as a way to infuse their own game with new energy.  

Good luck.     

You could divulge quite a bit about your player base, numbers, your general concept (since GoT is a well-known entity) and most importantly give more information on your timeline, progress and what sort of return investors could look forward to in exchange for financially backing your project  - all without giving away any of the secrets or details that make your idea/approach unique.

Perhaps you’d get more interest from investors if you gave a bit more information besides something that basically reads ‘my friend and I have a cool idea, could someone pay for it, please?’

• Like 3

18 hours ago, Lancewae Barrowstone said:

Sounds interestnig; keep us updated on your progress. 

My first thought toward financing is that "player base" you mention, which typically is how roleplays try to finance themselves.  Of course, you need a healthy player base that loves your system well enough to want to help toward sustaining it.  Reminds me of an early medieval fantasy combat RP called Ambrea encompassing some 13 sims in huge continent of many active rp groups and factions.  Opportunities for interaction were all but endless. The combat system, called RPS, was entirely unique and included a progression ladder for a slow accretion of power and skills on a HUD/meter system that tracked progress over rp time and based upon ingame experience built by interactions including combat itself to work your way up each level. That system involved some real skills players could develop and that was addicting. That's different from the widely popular Gorean system, where there are hno levels, just player skills. The gorean bow fighting is a very good, better than RPS in my opinion, but it's melee system is utterly inferior to what RPS was in terms of skill developing opportunities and therefore, fun. Gorean sword fighting is like slashing in a mudbath with blindfolds and only lasts a matter of seconds.  The Ambrea weaspon system was so  good that players paid an ingame monthly subscription fee in $Lindens to the builder in order to keep their HUD & meters active!  It was a free system to use up to level 3 ( of 9 levels), so townies and village folk might play at that, but the tension out in the outerlands between factions meant ALL else wanted the abilbity to build their skills according to their fantasy race and cultural powers in magics, combat, healing, flying and so on.  That system's success and desireability brought in income that contributed to region coss.  Plus, there was an active marketplace in the sky to supply varous rp stuffs, and where all weapons developers sold their ever new development of various and unique weapons,  potions and so one. This too helps contribute toward costs. 

We know that success breeds further success.  I suspect you have achieved in these first steps of creating yoru ststem vision, by the sound of it, but now you need a NEXT step, and you conceive it rightly as LANDS on which to build out the products of your system. I like the idea of collabing with those rp regions already in existence right now that might be attracted to your ideas and maybe even your system as a way to infuse their own game with new energy.  

Good luck.     

Thank you! Much appreciated

18 hours ago, Fauve Aeon said:

You could divulge quite a bit about your player base, numbers, your general concept (since GoT is a well-known entity) and most importantly give more information on your timeline, progress and what sort of return investors could look forward to in exchange for financially backing your project  - all without giving away any of the secrets or details that make your idea/approach unique.

Perhaps you’d get more interest from investors if you gave a bit more information besides something that basically reads ‘my friend and I have a cool idea, could someone pay for it, please?’

Sure! Right now we have around 14 players who are interested, but we haven't been advertising. Just word of mouth with people that myself and the co-owner know. In a generalized concept, we're going to be going with a location other than king's landing where there are multiple kingdoms in westeros. 

13 minutes ago, Alwin Alcott said:

for a little less as 22 dollars a month /a person you have your region.. roughly 5 dollars a week for a lot of fun isn't expensive

In practice that never works. Someone always drops out, people don't pay up. Player interest also doesn't directly translate into active members of the community. A sim is a cost best shared among as few people as possible so you know each contributor is reliable. 

A roleplay sim will very very rarely make back it's costs in rentals and donations. I can think of one or two that might be making that happen (Fox Hollow maybe? They have tons of rentals which are often full but on the flip side, their costs must be insane) but overall sims tend to die for financial reasons fairly often. 

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, Bitterthorn said:

A sim is a cost best shared among as few people as possible so you know each contributor is reliable. 

Very much this. 

Another thing to keep in mind when having a group of 'investors' is, making choices is going to get harder, as people very quickly may go 'I don't support that, I'm withdrawing my funding' if you decide to develop the RP or region design in a direction that doesn't appeal to them. Even if they aren't expressly 'owners', they need to be kept happy - a bit like the companies that invest in video games and then want it to be as profitable as possible, which is why the video game industry is currently in the micro-transaction/lootbox mess it's in. 

To continue the parallel, I'd suggest, if you want to go with the 'multiple investor' thing, funding through Patreon or Gofundme or whatever those things are called might be a better approach. And if you do, don't aim for it to cover the whole cost at once, you'll have to be prepared to cough up some of your own money - and it's advisable to keep a small buffer in case people drop off, so that you have a month or so that you can keep the sim going to avoid having to close down overnight without warning. 

Furthermore, the cost of a region isn't just the setup and the fee - you'll also want stuff to put in it, maybe even hire landscape architects, scripters, and builders. Depending on what you want to do with the place, that may be a pretty substantial investment. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Orwar said:

Very much this. 

Another thing to keep in mind when having a group of 'investors' is, making choices is going to get harder, as people very quickly may go 'I don't support that, I'm withdrawing my funding' if you decide to develop the RP or region design in a direction that doesn't appeal to them. Even if they aren't expressly 'owners', they need to be kept happy - a bit like the companies that invest in video games and then want it to be as profitable as possible, which is why the video game industry is currently in the micro-transaction/lootbox mess it's in. 

To continue the parallel, I'd suggest, if you want to go with the 'multiple investor' thing, funding through Patreon or Gofundme or whatever those things are called might be a better approach. And if you do, don't aim for it to cover the whole cost at once, you'll have to be prepared to cough up some of your own money - and it's advisable to keep a small buffer in case people drop off, so that you have a month or so that you can keep the sim going to avoid having to close down overnight without warning. 

Furthermore, the cost of a region isn't just the setup and the fee - you'll also want stuff to put in it, maybe even hire landscape architects, scripters, and builders. Depending on what you want to do with the place, that may be a pretty substantial investment. 

We have the rest of it all sorted. It's just land we need at the moment.

2 hours ago, AchillesAlpharius said:

Sure! Right now we have around 14 players who are interested, but we haven't been advertising. Just word of mouth with people that myself and the co-owner know. In a generalized concept, we're going to be going with a location other than king's landing where there are multiple kingdoms in westeros. 

Why don't you start by renting a homestead and split the cost with the partner in this venture?  Unless you expect more than 20 people on the region at a time, it might be a good way to start and get more people interested.  After some time, discuss with the group their thought on expanding to a full region.  Even if it takes a year, maybe things will improve financially by then.

I think that would cost about $10 a week for each of you?  Instead of dumping a large amount to buy a region then have things not work out.  Most people are watching their money right now so finding someone to "invest" in something that will make no profile will be near impossible.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 237 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.