Deploy Plans for the Week of 2020-11-30 (Updated 2020-12-04 11:10 SLT)

Mazidox Linden

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1208 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

• Lindens

Hello Residents!

As mentioned in several places this week is going to be particularly packed with rolls. We anticipate having rolls approximately every 12 hours on Wednesday, Thursday, and Friday. What follows is our best guess of what the week will look like, but please note that all times are subject to change or cancellation if our tests find issues, and if we do have issues we can't resolve quickly, we may need to roll back to the current release version 2020-11-19.552571.

We know how disruptive all these rolls will be to all of you this week and apologize in advance. We're working hard to get this portion of uplift done as quickly as possible so you can get back to your regular Second Life.

Wednesday:

Morning:

Second Life RC channels will restart between 12:00 PM (Noon) and 3:00 PM Pacific Standard Time.

https://releasenotes.secondlife.com/simulator/2020-12-01.553120.html

Evening:

[Update] No roll.

Thursday:

Morning:

[Update] Second Life Server (Main Channel) will restart in the morning, 6 AM - 12 PM Pacific Standard Time.

https://releasenotes.secondlife.com/simulator/2020-12-01.553120.html

Evening:

[Update] No roll.

Friday:

Morning:

Second Life RC channels will restart in the morning, 6 AM - 9:30 AM Pacific Standard Time.

https://releasenotes.secondlife.com/simulator/2020-12-01.553168.html

Evening:

[Update] No roll.

On Region Restarts:

There will be a lot of them this week! None of them will be driven by Grid Poking Bot, as the people who are testing Grid Poking Bot will all be busy making sure all the rolls mentioned above work on each of RC and Second Life Server before we move on to the next phase. Watch this space next week for further updates on the Return of the GPB.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 8

7 hours ago, Lucia Nightfire said:

What are you testing in each of those versions? heh

SLers' level of patience and frustration ? 🤣

Can't be worst than what happened during  the past 96 hours, can it ?... I mean, I never saw such an amount of issues with SL failing logins, TPs, inventory fetches, baking, etc, and of course, all of them happening while support was offline... 🙄

• Like 4

6 minutes ago, Henri Beauchamp said:

Can't be worst than what happened during  the past 96 hours, can it ?... I mean, I never saw such an amount of issues with SL failing logins, TPs, inventory fetches, baking, etc, and of course, all of them happening while support was offline...

It would be interesting to hear from LL what actually happened. Because it's quite obvious that it wasn't grid wide. I spent at least 5 hours daily in SL from friday to tuesday (mostly during peak hours with >50k people online), to catch up on sales. And the only TP fail I had was when I was teleporting out from nearly dead (below 1% scripts run) region that was full non stop. Can't say I had a single issue with logins, baking or anything else either.

29 minutes ago, steeljane42 said:

It would be interesting to hear from LL what actually happened. Because it's quite obvious that it wasn't grid wide. I spent at least 5 hours daily in SL from friday to tuesday (mostly during peak hours with >50k people online), to catch up on sales. And the only TP fail I had was when I was teleporting out from nearly dead (below 1% scripts run) region that was full non stop. Can't say I had a single issue with logins, baking or anything else either.

Well, I'm developing my viewer, so I log in and out many times a day (to test new code, etc), so I see any login issues happening before many people would, I guess...

It may also depend on your country, since you'll hit different AWS servers based on it... In France, it was an awful SL week-end and problems extended from Friday to yesterday afternoon, and still seeing slow parcel info updates today, even if logins seem much more reliable... so far (morning here).

EDIT: spoke too soon... Logins fail again today !

Edited by Henri Beauchamp
  • Like 2

Oddly I have always assumed 12:00PM to indicate noon, since anything that follows is "after"noon (or Post Meridian) and 12:00AM to be midnight.  As most folk would agree, noon and midnight are really neither AM nor PM!

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Lucia Nightfire said:

What are you testing in each of those versions? heh

The main thrust of these rolls is to align the simulators with other uplift-related changes that are taking place "behind the scenes". There are a bare minimum of changes in the simulators themselves, and you should not expect any functional changes. It's possible (but not promised) that there may be some performance improvement for a few things.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 3

4 hours ago, arabellajones said:

So just when is 12PM?

We've just had the British government making a hash of which day a particular Midnight is and I just wish the whole damn lot of you could stop using that time.

Try using a 24-hour clock instead of AM and PM. And avoid timing anything at the 00:00 and 24:00 times.

23:59 & 00:01 just remember to add on which time zone you want to indicate, CET UTC (GMT or Z for zulu) EST PST SLT and a zillion others. As you say, use the 24hr, it's not hard. https://www.timeanddate.com/worldclock/timezone/zulu

• Like 1

5 hours ago, arabellajones said:

So just when is 12PM?

We've just had the British government making a hash of which day a particular Midnight is and I just wish the whole damn lot of you could stop using that time.

Try using a 24-hour clock instead of AM and PM. And avoid timing anything at the 00:00 and 24:00 times.

https://time.gov/

• Maestro Linden changed the title to Deploy Plans for the Week of 2020-11-30 (Updated 2020-12-01 12:30 SLT)

Oh I remember the days of shut it down weds and and then bang on it until the next wed and bang on it some more,  then hit a major boom and grid falls down and goes boom,  lol,   hopefully @Oz Linden with uplift if second life hits another explosion in awesome and everybody and their brother comes running hitting up against he door again, services wont fail and we can keep on truckin and letting all those awesome new people in right right?

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, bigmoe Whitfield said:

Oh I remember the days of shut it down weds and and then bang on it until the next wed and bang on it some more,  then hit a major boom and grid falls down and goes boom,  lol,   hopefully @Oz Linden with uplift if second life hits another explosion in awesome and everybody and their brother comes running hitting up against he door again, services wont fail and we can keep on truckin and letting all those awesome new people in right right?

That's certainly our goal.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

The GSP says that rolling restarts are underway for the RC Channel. But Nuggy is being restarted, and it's on the Main Channel... Unless it's been moved.☹️

[EDIT] Nuggy still is version 553120 after being restarted.

Edited by MBeatrix
adding info

• Maestro Linden changed the title to Deploy Plans for the Week of 2020-11-30 (Updated 2020-12-04 11:10 SLT)

@Miller ThorI guess we must assume as much since at time of writing this post the thread has not been created for this week.

It is regrettable that the roll is apparently proceeding without any information being posted in this forum

Edited by Aishagain
additional text

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1208 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.