Rigged or Unrigged HAIR...which do you prefer

FairreLilette

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 86 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

10 hours ago, Nalates Urriah said:

I think there are lots of possibilities with animesh hair. But the render and script loads will be WAY heavy. So they will have to be a very impressive "do" for me to consider wearing them.

Once animesh has had a animatpition keyed in, it keeps doing that until a script tells otherwise. It's actually rather light.

The render cost, yeah, possibly. It shouldn't have to be high, but in this age of million-polygon bodies, maybe that's wishful thinking.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Cinos Field said:

Once animesh has had a animatpition keyed in, it keeps doing that until a script tells otherwise. It's actually rather light.

The render cost, yeah, possibly. It shouldn't have to be high, but in this age of million-polygon bodies, maybe that's wishful thinking.

True, animations load once and playing require few system resources. BUT... like stand-animations repeating the same one over and over gets really monotonous and looks supper fake. With stands we use scripting to move between animations thus chaining them together. My AO will play for about 5 minutes before the animations start to repeat. 

Animesh hair would likely come with a means of controlling the hair. I would build the hair to detect walk, run, swim, and sit and play appropriate animations. As those animations change that information has to be sent to all nearby avatars increasing the data transmission load, which is a major reason for lag at events.

Animesh cannot be rigged to the avatar as it is rigged to the animesh armature. It attaches to one of the avatar's attachment points and can be moved as any attached prim can be moved. Fitting the animesh hair to an avatar's breasts is going to be as lame as unrigged-mesh is now... and unfortunately as many poorly rigged-hair dos are now.

Animesh requires the polygon mesh and the armature, which is a copy of the SL avatar armature (skeleton). The Lindens added a 15 Land Impact surcharge cost plus all the other impact considerations and a corresponding ARC/ACI cost as an attachment. There is a 100k poly limit. Details here, scroll to bottom.

While there won't be a million-poly animesh hair... I do suspect the ACI to be outrageously high. Thus it is going to have to be a really gorgeous and well animated hair to tempt me.

• Like 1

Oddly enough after this thread a thought came to me this morning after looking at a hair with both an unrigged version and a rigged version which was 'why not wear both'.  The reason I would want to wear both is that by putting the unrigged one over the other I could make it bigger and it had a side piece of hair for one of the styling possibilities but that side piece of hair went through my body on the unrigged one.  So, I hid that side piece that went through my body on the unrigged one with the styler HUD and then wore the rigged one underneath so I could have the side piece showing and not going through my body.  It was a cool hair in that it came in both versions but I did end up wearing both and enlarged the top hair unrigged one over the rigged one.  

Edited by FairreLilette
  • Like 2

• 1 month later...

I like unrigged, since I can position (and usually scale) it to properly fit my avatar. Rigging has gotten better, but people tend to build for 14 foot tall circus bodybuilders, so the hair sometimes just doesn't fit anyone else.

I also like hats, and if the hair is built in a certain way (and unrigged), I can move and scale parts of the hair to fit under various hats.

• Like 1

Something exciting on this topic I saw the other day was hair where the top part was unrigged, but the ponytail was rigged. I think it was from No.Match, but it seems like a great idea. It was blended pretty seamlessly too and allowed for actually adjusting the part that doesn't fit on my head. Might be an idea for a prospective hairmaker to focus on.

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, Cinos Field said:

Something exciting on this topic I saw the other day was hair where the top part was unrigged, but the ponytail was rigged

I've seen this occasionally, I think Doux has some hairs like that .. Might be thinking of another brand though, I never bought it. 

I like unrigged short hair, but I often wear longer hair and I can't say I have ever noticed any problems with fit, even with women's hair (as long as it's not so long that it gets buried in my back). For hair that comes further down the back it has to be specifically for men, but I don't usually wear it that long.

My girl alt always wears long hair and always rigged.

On 12/4/2020 at 12:33 AM, FairreLilette said:

after looking at a hair with both an unrigged version and a rigged version which was 'why not wear both'. 

Why not, indeed. In photo shootings  I let my model avatars often wear 2 different hairs at the same time. Color must be the same of course, styles not. That has sometimes amazing results. Well, back to the question. I like short/updo unrigged hair the most.

• Like 1

I think I fall in with the majority of people here. It greatly depends on the creator for me. I personally really like the way rigged hair fits, but there are some that just don't fit my head right. Its just a matter of finding what works. I really appreciate the creators who include a rigged as well as an unrigged version of whatever hair I purchase, because if the unrigged clips in some area, I can just switch over to the unrigged and go on about my day. 

• 3 years later...

Rigged hair, unfortunately, cannot be resized, making it quite inconvenient considering the price we pay for it on the marketplace or in-world. It's disheartening when sellers fail to communicate this limitation. On the other hand, non-rigged hair offers the flexibility of resizing, making it a significant selling point and definitely worth the investment. Clear information about the limitations of rigged hair can greatly enhance the buying experience and help users make more informed choices  ... I love when hair are not rigged . is more fun to adjuste 

10 hours ago, renards89 Cerise said:

Rigged hair, unfortunately, cannot be resized, making it quite inconvenient considering the price we pay for it on the marketplace or in-world. It's disheartening when sellers fail to communicate this limitation. On the other hand, non-rigged hair offers the flexibility of resizing, making it a significant selling point and definitely worth the investment. Clear information about the limitations of rigged hair can greatly enhance the buying experience and help users make more informed choices  ... I love when hair are not rigged . is more fun to adjuste 

It's safe to assume all women's hairstyles are rigged these days, the exceptions where it isn't do still exist and for shorter styles this is quite common but all the big brands are mostly producing rigged hair.

For most people rigged is more convenient and with longer styles it is necessary since unrigged means you will get clipping through the body when moving. The issue is that there are a *lot* of heads on the market and getting a good fit is difficult for creators, even amongst the same brand there is quite a lot of variation in skull shape which makes things difficult. I don't envy the creators needing to deal with that, rigging for mesh heads is a bit of a dark art and it is reflected in the sheer number of sizes that the big brands provide these days... even then you will find quite a lot from big brands that just doesn't fit perfectly, gaps at the side of the skull and by the forehead are unfortunately quite common. Some brands do better than others though, always demo.

One tip I have is to play with "forehead angle" and "brow size" shape settings if you notice a gap particularly at the forehead, you can often close this up. For some styles I wear I have to change these settings, it has become routine for me but you could obviously save a shape to use with the hairstyle for convenience.

Likewise "egg head" and "head shape" sliders often improve a fit but obviously this might not be what you want due to significantly changing your head shape.

Edited by AmeliaJ08

For me it depends on the hairstyle/avatar I'm wearing. I'll pretty much echo most everyone else here and say that usually I like rigged for longer hair (anything past the chin), and unrigged for shorter hairs or some ponytails/updos. On my adult avatar I'll wear ether, but if I'm on my Toddleedoo or my Dinkie cat, it has to be unrigged.

On 12/2/2020 at 11:36 PM, Eggy UwU said:

personal preference here: for my furry avatars--if it's rigged, it needs to be in a larger size or just completely unrigged; for my human avatars--i prefer rigged. 

I'm noticing a beautiful trend in some hair creators where they include both a rigged version and an unrigged  version .

But I prefer rigged 100% because of the fact that unrigged hair Level Of Detail settings are expected to be maxed out at 4 000 which is ultra settings and 99% of second life seems to use a potato computer which starts out by default at like 2.000  ... That means. Your hair disappears from like 2 meters away if their settings aren't ultra = =... this is a plague I have with all unrigged mesh attachments . The ocd of knowing I'm bald to half the people in the sim drives me insane  .

On 1/21/2024 at 3:58 AM, Midnoot said:

Perfect example of why I hate unrigged hairs. Graphics on ULTRA except the LOD which is 2.000 and still, it disappears from a SHORT distance.

https://gyazo.com/61c28c8b5d19f620d5e06d2d7b44e86a

61c28c8b5d19f620d5e06d2d7b44e86a.gif

It looks like a hair I have. That is a hair created by S........ the hair is rigged and bangs unrigged?

I do not understand how rigged/unrigged can make a difference? Since the creator is capable of uploading the hair itself with good LOD.

32 minutes ago, Marianne Little said:

It looks like a hair I have. That is a hair created by S........ the hair is rigged and bangs unrigged?

I do not understand how rigged/unrigged can make a difference? Since the creator is capable of uploading the hair itself with good LOD.

Aren't rigged LODs basically non-existent in SL? I was always told that anyway, they always display in highest LOD.

Unrigged actually uses LODs but I too have seen this disappearing bang issue with some hairs so I assume something is broken with the upload.

9 hours ago, AmeliaJ08 said:

Yeah. That is bad uploading though I think? like the creator not uploading suitable LODs.

Tell that to some of the most popular hair creators in SL like Stealthic, Magika, Dura, Modulus etc. All beautiful hairs, BUT this is a common problem among MOST of the unrigged stuff they make.  How can they make such things, knowing it's a BAD quality item? :'D.... And if it disappears on 2.000, i'm calling it a  bad quality item no matter what. I shouldn't need 4.000 LOD to see something from 2 meters.

9 hours ago, Marianne Little said:

Stealthic? :'p

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 86 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.