Missing features in the SL Viewer?

NiftyPixel

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1212 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I get pretty great performance from the SL viewer but use a third party viewer for the additional features. I'm sure this has probably been asked before but I couldn't find it digging through the forums. Why doesn't the SL viewer include a built in AO or announce the music stream titles? Also what about privacy with the ability to disable the look at function so other users don't see where you are looking? These seem pretty common in third party viewers just curious why it is not in the SL viewer?  Thanks. 

I was just testing it for FPS and for some reason the colors look richer using it. Things seems to rez quick. It gets updated frequently so I was thinking more bugs get squashed, latest features get rolled out before third party viewers, and any security improvements. I was just curious why those features weren't there. It would probably get more use. 

6 minutes ago, RowanMinx said:

I haven't used the official viewer since the beginning of the V2 way back when.  

It's the same as any other Viewer, except it has less features. All other Viewers (not counting the mobile ones and Viewer 1's) are directly based on it after all. Viewer 1's just port over the important functionality and compatibility stuff while keeping the UI and their own improvements intact.

Just now, NiftyPixel said:

I was just testing it for FPS and for some reason the colors look richer using it. Things seems to rez quick. It gets updated frequently so I was thinking more bugs get squashed, latest features get rolled out before third party viewers, and any security improvements. I was just curious why those features weren't there. It would probably get more use. 

Because options are evil ~ Oz Linden.

What he means by that is that more options raise the chance that the user gets confused at so many options and we already have way too many people not knowing anything about anything just blindly pressing buttons and making things explode.

Edited by NiranV Dean
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

1 minute ago, NiranV Dean said:

It's the same as any other Viewer, except it has less features. All other Viewers (not counting the mobile ones and Viewer 1's) are directly based on it after all. Viewer 1's just port over the important functionality and compatibility stuff while keeping the UI and their own improvements intact.

Because options are evil ~ Oz Linden.

I knew that but firestorm at the time even when they were based on V2, kept a lot of the older interface as I recall.  I guess we all get used to being able to do things a certain way and it's a PITA to relearn something that isn't something better.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, RowanMinx said:

I knew that but firestorm at the time even when they were based on V2, kept a lot of the older interface as I recall.  I guess we all get used to being able to do things a certain way and it's a PITA to relearn something that isn't something better.

How can you know its not better if its different and you don't want to "relearn"? That's a big problem V2 had when it started and ultimately led to the abomination called CHUI today (Communications Hub User Interface, aka the wanna-be V1 chat system). Viewer 2 solved the one issue i've always had with any MMO ever since i started playing them: Chat. Every goddamn game in this world just gives you a chat window and slaps some retardedly big horizontal tabs at the top/bottom. Chatting in more than 2-3 channels becomes an extreme hassle and basically impossible to follow. Viewer 1 had this same issue until Viewer 2 brought the chiclet system that made it easy to have many (up to 100) conversations and keep track of them easily and at any time, at a glance. This is something the new CHUI has definitely botched again, even with the vertical, collapsible icon tabs. I often had around 20-50 conversations open at any time, chatting with 10-15 people at the same time without ever feeling that i missed something or didn't have an overview. Not to mention having local chat and IM in two separate windows and places (left screen and right screen) allowed more of them to be displayed at the same time and both of them being clearly distinguished from each other. Because people who didn't even use V2 hated on the new chat system, they got rid of it and with it any sanity... CHUI is a mess and its basically a best-of the worst things that made V1 chat so horrible minus the Chat/IM being shown in local chat on the left together.

Edited by NiranV Dean

55 minutes ago, NiranV Dean said:

How can you know its not better if its different and you don't want to "relearn"? That's a big problem V2 had when it started and ultimately led to the abomination called CHUI today (Communications Hub User Interface, aka the wanna-be V1 chat system). Viewer 2 solved the one issue i've always had with any MMO ever since i started playing them: Chat. Every goddamn game in this world just gives you a chat window and slaps some retardedly big horizontal tabs at the top/bottom. Chatting in more than 2-3 channels becomes an extreme hassle and basically impossible to follow. Viewer 1 had this same issue until Viewer 2 brought the chiclet system that made it easy to have many (up to 100) conversations and keep track of them easily and at any time, at a glance. This is something the new CHUI has definitely botched again, even with the vertical, collapsible icon tabs. I often had around 20-50 conversations open at any time, chatting with 10-15 people at the same time without ever feeling that i missed something or didn't have an overview. Not to mention having local chat and IM in two separate windows and places (left screen and right screen) allowed more of them to be displayed at the same time and both of them being clearly distinguished from each other. Because people who didn't even use V2 hated on the new chat system, they got rid of it and with it any sanity... CHUI is a mess and its basically a best-of the worst things that made V1 chat so horrible minus the Chat/IM being shown in local chat on the left together.

I did try it when it first came out and recently installed the latest just to have a second viewer in case an issue was viewer related.  Still didn't like the way it looked but then I have no reason to change that I can see.  I,.personally, have no more 2 conversations going at one time so the chat is fine but I can understand why you might appreciate it.  I never hated on the viewer to anyone that mattered.  I just switched.  

People love some, hate others so it IS nice to have options.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1212 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.