I am running emergence on my computer My display name does not show for me or my partner in emergenc

Dawn OHanlon

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4714 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

I am running emergence on my computer.   My new display name does not show on my screen above my head (just my original name)  I cannot see my partners new name either - only his original name.  I've gone into preferences in my general tab - but everythings as it should be.  Any instructions would be great. 

Thank you,  Dawn (OHanlon) Montague

5 answers to this question

I'm not sure if Emergence supports Display Names.  In any case, its not a widely used viewer anymore and even the Third Party Viewer Directory entry for it recommends using Phoenix instead.

--Cinn

http://wiki.secondlife.com/wiki/Third_Party_Viewer_Directory

Emergence viewer is ran by a single developer and is part of an effort to provide users with a safe alternative viewer. Emergence is currently a near clone to Phoenix, as they share this goal, and it is advised to use it instead for higher support. 

As far as I know, Emergence was always intended to just be a stop-gap measure in the immediate wake of the Emerald fiasco. It's developer, LordGregGreg, stated right up front that he had no plans to update or make any changes to it "unless absolutely necessary" -- so it's not surprising that it doesn't have support for it.

However, it's not true that you need the latest SL viewer to make it work. Phoenix also supports "Display Names" (which were implemented back in November, incidentally), and has done since version 1.5.2.725. (Though I think it's a stupid idea, myself, so I don't enable it.)

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4714 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.