Sign in to follow this  
Dawn OHanlon

I am running emergence on my computer My display name does not show for me or my partner in emergenc

Question

I'm not sure if Emergence supports Display Names.  In any case, its not a widely used viewer anymore and even the Third Party Viewer Directory entry for it recommends using Phoenix instead.

--Cinn

http://wiki.secondlife.com/wiki/Third_Party_Viewer_Directory

Emergence viewer is ran by a single developer and is part of an effort to provide users with a safe alternative viewer. Emergence is currently a near clone to Phoenix, as they share this goal, and it is advised to use it instead for higher support. 

5 answers to this question

I'm not sure if Emergence supports Display Names.  In any case, its not a widely used viewer anymore and even the Third Party Viewer Directory entry for it recommends using Phoenix instead.

--Cinn

http://wiki.secondlife.com/wiki/Third_Party_Viewer_Directory

Emergence viewer is ran by a single developer and is part of an effort to provide users with a safe alternative viewer. Emergence is currently a near clone to Phoenix, as they share this goal, and it is advised to use it instead for higher support. 

Display Names is a new feature on the V2 viewer chain.  It was added in February, not long ago at all.  Unless Emergence was built on the very latest open source code from LL, I doubt you will have it.  If you want the newest SL features, you have to use the latest SL viewers. 

Emergence was released as a one-off version after Emerald was disabled and is not updated. The guy that put it together is actually one of the Phoenix team and that is the viewer that gets kept up to date, so I agree you should switch to Phoenix or even to Firestorm.

As far as I know, Emergence was always intended to just be a stop-gap measure in the immediate wake of the Emerald fiasco. It's developer, LordGregGreg, stated right up front that he had no plans to update or make any changes to it "unless absolutely necessary" -- so it's not surprising that it doesn't have support for it.

However, it's not true that you need the latest SL viewer to make it work. Phoenix also supports "Display Names" (which were implemented back in November, incidentally), and has done since version 1.5.2.725. (Though I think it's a stupid idea, myself, so I don't enable it.)