Default Hover Height Borked. Help Please

Diremane

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1239 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

The issue i am having is my default hover height has me sunken into the ground to my knee`s and i need some serious help to Fix this issue.  I have already attempted to reload default avatar which works great for that day only and the next day i am right back to being sunk in the ground. adjusting the hover height of the avatar works for the day as well and the next i am often floating X-amount of meters above the ground. I have even went and created a New shape from scratch. Please help this is seriously Frustrating a783bcd6d1f0175d24724f18514c8ac6.jpg

Did it start just before the extended weekend? (Thanksgiving)

I believe LL has had a small crew on, so it can be an SL related issue. When business hours open on Monday SL time, they will go through tickets and maybe there are support tickets about this.

If you have had this problem a long time, I have no idea. Can it be a broken animation override? Try to detach and wear another AO and see if the problem stops?

Some questions and suggestions that may help us narrow down what's happening:

Does this happen in all locations, or only one? While the level of sinking that you're seeing means it's unlikely to be caused by wonky physics on the building's floor, that could be exacerbating it. Additionally, I'm not familiar with that avatar but some non-human avatars require you to wear an additional shoe-shaper or animated object to offset your avatar's height, so it's worth checking the folder that the avatar came in to see if it has anything like that included.

Try the following. Instructions are given for the Firestorm viewer -

1. Right-click your avatar and select: Appearance > Reset > Skeleton & Animations
  2. If using Firestorm viewer, go to the Avatar menu and select: Avatar Health > Refresh Attachments
  3. Again, if using Firestorm, go to the Avatar menu and select: Avatar Health > Stop Avatar Animations and Revoke Permissions
  4. Relog (log out and back in again)

You can also try the Undeform Avatar option (I'm not logged in right now to check, but I'm fairly certain it's in the same menu location: Avatar Health). Be aware that many non-human avatars do need to deform the skeleton in order to look right, so I suggest setting back to default male or female before you un-deform, then re-wear the full Diremane avatar again.

If that doesn't fix it - and especially if other people don't see you experiencing this issue - then a more drastic measure is to delete your settings.xml file, which may have been corrupted by a crash. If necessary, please expand the quote below to read how to do that (again, instructions are given for the Firestorm viewer, so you may need to hunt around for specifics if using the stock LL viewer) -

CAUTION: This will reset your toolbar buttons and will remove from your screen some UI items related to the toolbar buttons (e.g. minimap, cameratools, etc). It may also reset some graphics settings, so you will need to reset all of those after logging back in.

Copy & paste these instructions into a text file to refer to.

- 1. Open preferences > network & files > directories
- 2. Click the 'open settings folder' button
- 3. Keep that folder open and log out of SL
- 4. Stay logged out. Look in that settings folder for the settings.xml file and delete it
- 5. Log back into SL (a new settings.xml file will be created)
- 6. Set your toolbar buttons and UI items back up

You say that it's fine when you reload default avatar, but the next day you're back to being sunk into the ground. Can you confirm that you've remained in the Test Male/Test Female default avatar during that entire time and have not added or changed anything on your avatar? If you've not tried that yet, please do; it could indicate that something you're wearing is messing things up.

Edited by Skell Dagger

Skell provided good information. Check all those possibilities.

I would change DELETE settings.xml to RENAME settings.xml. That way if the elimination of settings.xml doesn't fix the problem then you can restore it and not have to redo all your settings. For those of us that trial and error test to find the problem this is preferred.

Three things in settings control your height; appearance Hover, right-click-avatar Hover Height, and the Shoe item. The first and last of these can be used with an Outfit to control your hover height for a specific outfit or character.

The show item has 3 or 4 settings that affect height.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1239 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.