No idea how much hope to invest here, but apparently there's rumor of a hint of possible prospects. Per @Inara Pey's blog:

WORLD MAP UPDATE

Also at the TPV Developer meeting, Grumpity supplied an update on the world Map tile generation situation:

I’M ALSO GOING TO DO A THING THAT IS AN ABSOLUTE TABOO AND I TOTALLY SHOULDN’T BE DOING; BUT WE’RE IN THE PROCESS OF PUTTING OUT UPDATES TO MAP GENERATION. SO FINGERS CROSSED, [THINGS WILL] GET BACK TO NORMAL. IT HAS TURNED OUT TO BE A MUCH BIGGER EFFORT THAN ANYONE HAD WANTED IT TO BE … WE WOULDN’T HAVE CHOSEN FOR THIS TO BE SO HARD.

Fingers crossed, @Grumpity Linden, fingers crossed indeed.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Replies 137
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I've just had a go at doing exactly that... well, kind of. It's based on the standard Second Life web-based map API, but with a few tweaks (everything beyond the fully-zoomed-in level seems to be non-

Yes, I know 🙂 This is a temporary situation...  the data needed to generate the maps has been moved to AWS, but the code that does the work has not yet. Because of how the datacenter version expe

So the last post on this is now weeks ago, and the thing STILL is not fixed.  I want to resurrect this thread for further discussion, because as a Premium member with actually several Premium accounts

Posted Images

Current status is good. The only regions still showing major zoom problems are Northern Heterocera and Zindra. The maptile gaps for the Second Norway extension and the north-east of Bellisseria to Satori have been fixed, though there are a few glitches. This weekend's group trips should be workable over most of the Grid.

I am not expecting anything to change over the weekend.

5 hours ago, arabellajones said:

I am not expecting anything to change over the weekend.

There has been slow improvement. Some of the areas which vanished as you zoomed out are now visible for longer. It looks like more maptiles have been generated, and there may be some sort of caching done in the viewer.

• Like 1

It took a few hours for the fix to propagate through the viewer cache I guess, as this wasn't working for me before today, but now it is!

Wonderful news.  Thank you unknown programmer of Linden Lab.

In celebration I bought some more Linden Dollars (and beat the price hike)  9_9

• Like 2
29 minutes ago, Anna Nova said:

It took a few hours for the fix to propagate through the viewer cache I guess, as this wasn't working for me before today, but now it is!

Wonderful news.  Thank you unknown programmer of Linden Lab.

In celebration I bought some more Linden Dollars (and beat the price hike)  9_9

Seems lightning fast too here. Long may that last !