Bots and the orange/white cloud

Phil Deakins

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1231 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I couldn't see a suitable sub-forum under Technology, so I'll post this here.

I'm looking for anyone who runs one or more bots in SL. I don't mean multiple avatars extra viewers. I mean proper bots.

I'll explain why I'm asking. As of the latest region update, my bots' remain as clouds. I would like to know the experience of any others who have one or more bots in SL.

I know about the current cloud problem on the status page, and I think it's too big a coincidence for it not to be caused by the same thing, but I'd still like to talk with anyone who runs a bot in SL.

• Like 1

Thank you @Oz Linden. The description of the problem reported in the Jira is different to my problem, but it may have the same cause. I'm hoping that next week's update might reverse things. I'll also look at LibreMetaverse, which I'd never heard of before, but is mentioned in the Jira as the follow-on to the abandoned OpenMetaverse.

Edited by Phil Deakins

Do the affected accounts you run on the bot software have any folders named "Current Look" in their inventory?
If so then it will be this problem: https://status.secondlifegrid.net/incidents/3mnd3071dh9p

If your bot accounts do have the "Current Look" folders, have you ever logged those accounts in on the TPV Metachat?
It's possible other TPVs or bot clients trigger the same bug.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Whirly Fizzle said:

Do the affected accounts you run on the bot software have any folders named "Current Look" in their inventory?
If so then it will be this problem: https://status.secondlifegrid.net/incidents/3mnd3071dh9p

If your bot accounts do have the "Current Look" folders, have you ever logged those accounts in on the TPV Metachat?
It's possible other TPVs or bot clients trigger the same bug.

Thanks Whirly for this. I had a similar glitch last week when I got shape not found in database, but this has now cleared. 

I have noticed that when saving an outfit, the top left corner sticks at "unsaved changes", and once saved, the save option doesn't grey out, but it all seems to work ok.

Rezzing has been slower for a few days with a lot more orange smoke than usual!

Hi, I'm currently having similar problems with multiple avatars that are used as Scripted Agents or Bot in SL.
The bots are registered with Corrade in SL.

If I am now online with the current SL Viewer or the Firestorm Viewer > Version 6.4.5 I see my Bot which is registered with Corrade as a cloud.
If I am logged in with a viewer of Firestorm under version 6.4.5 I see the Corrade Bot quite normally with his avatar and not as a cloud.
So the problem is that you can't see any Corrade Bots if you use a newer viewer.

I dont think its a problem with unsaved Outfits or a missing Shape etc.
The Problem is there since a few days and nothing are changed on the Bots itself.
If i switch to older Viewer i see the Bots normal, if i using a newer Viewer v6.4.5 and up the Bots are Clouds for me.

Cloud Problem on Corrade Bots.jpg

11 hours ago, Whirly Fizzle said:

Geeky developer stuff alert ... if you don't understand it, ignore this post.

The general case of the problem that Whirly asked about is really:

• Does the account for the bot have more than one folder that is type 46?

The folder name does not matter - that type is the Current Outfit folder type (the name is actually not important). If you have more than one of those, the bake service will not generate a new appearance for you. 

I'm working on a fix that will enable Support to undo this problem safely; in the mean time, consider updating your bot driver software so that it does not ever create a Current Outfit folder.

(I have no idea how this relates to your problem, @Michelle011997 ... off hand, I wouldn't know how to make that happen if I wanted to)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

39 minutes ago, Oz Linden said:

(I have no idea how this relates to your problem, @Michelle011997 ... off hand, I wouldn't know how to make that happen if I wanted to)

Ok maybe its not the same problem but i try to explain.
My Bots are running with Corrade Software. Also a Bot from my Partner running on Corrade.

When iam Online with Firestorm 6.3.9 i can see my and the other Bot normally. If i Login with the Current Beta Firestorm 6.4.5 or the current Release from Second Life Viewer 6.4.11 i only see the Bots as Clouds.

@Michelle011997

The Corrade system that you use for your bots is an OpenMetaverse system, and OpenMetaverse was abandoned a few years ago. So, unless it has been changed to LibreMetaverse, as a comment in the Jira that @Oz Linden linked to suggested, it is out of date and won't be keeping up with SL changes.

Even so, I use OpenMetaverse and I've got my bots back, but I don't know why. I thought I was using the newest (years out of date) OpenMetaverse, but I changed to what I thought was just another copy of it, and my bots reappeared. When they were remaining as clouds, I did notice that they could only be clouds. I don't run my system with a front end like Corrade, so I can see all the error messages in a console window, and they always said things like 'upper body bake failed to download' and 'lower body bake failed to download'' - my wording from memory. The bots weren't receiving the appearances, so they couldn't be anything but the initial clouds.

Edited by Phil Deakins
  • Like 1

OpenMetaverse versions.

I've now realised that I've used different versions of OpenMetaverse during this thing. The clouds problem occurred when I was using version 0.9.1. I changed to version 0.9.3 and the problem is no longer there.

I don't think there's anything later than 0.9.3 so it might be as well to look at using LibreMetaverse for the future. It does appear to be keeping up to date.

Edited by Phil Deakins
  • Like 1

12 hours ago, Michelle011997 said:

When iam Online with Firestorm 6.3.9 i can see my and the other Bot normally. If i Login with the Current Beta Firestorm 6.4.5 or the current Release from Second Life Viewer 6.4.11 i only see the Bots as Clouds.

That's odd. Unlike you, I saw clouds with FS 6.3.9. It's why I eventually started this thread. But, just like you, with LL 6.4.11 I saw clouds. I was using FS 6.3.9 when I noticed the problem.

Since then, I've updated my bot software and the problem is gone. (That's what Oz suggested). I don't know what you can do with Corrade though. It'll be using an older version of OpenMetaverse, like I was. Is it still current and being maintained? If it is, they may be dealing with it right now. If it's no longer being maintained, perhaps you could find a different bot system.

If you don't find a suitable solution, I'd be happy to tell you how I'm doing it with OpenMetaverse, but it's not a permanent solution because OMV was abandoned a few years ago, and isn't being updated when SL changes. It depends what you do with your bots whether or not my method will be any good to you. All I do with my method is log the bots in. After that I control them with LSL. As far as I know, Corrade does exactly the same things, but it has a load of LSL functions ready written.

Edited by Phil Deakins
  • Like 1

@Michelle011997 I don't know Radegast other than I've heard the name. It sounds like Corrade is being maintained (November 24th), but they may not have realised how to fix the problem. If you can point them to this thread, it may help. The thing that may help them is that I fixed the problem by changing to OMV 0.9.3. If they do the same, it should fix it for you.

You wouldn't have worked with OMV, but it's been working for you behind the scenes. Corrade uses OMV for all of its communications with the SL systems :)

ETA: I've just looked up Radegast and, as far as I can make out, it's a viewer, so it's not a bot system at all. Imo, the avatar that's logged in with it isn't a bot. It's just an avatar that's logged in with a viewer. That will be why it isn't a cloud problem for you.

Edited by Phil Deakins
  • Like 1

@Oz Linden

I'm pretty sure now that it's systems that use OpenMetaverse that have the problem, and that changing to version 0.9.3 will fix it. For me, that seems quite definitive.

The OMV version that I was using was 0.9.1, and the version used in the Jira was 0.9.2. I would like to add a comment to the Jira, saying that 0.9.3 fixes the problem, at least for now, but I can't see any way to make a comment there. So this post is the best that I can do.

Edited by Phil Deakins
  • Like 1

Hello,

My bot is also based on Corrade, which also stopped working on 11/24/2020 (previously on the same version, worked fine) -
like my previous speakers, my bot is also a "cloud avatar",
I also found that overall the bot stopped working any access to its  wardrobe - so it can't retrieve clothes or rezz any object from it.

@Michelle011997 has already provided a link to the internal bugtracker of this project where we discuss it live.

A few people, including me, made tickets for Second Life support.

I hope the Second Life fixes will fix the problem for a while, because Second Life is still evolving and cannot look at any outdated libraries.

If that happens, we will ask the Corrade developers to move to libremetaverse, otherwise this may not be the case the next time.

The official development of libopenmetaverse ended in 2018.
I found a newer fork on github with update 12/01/2020 (https://github.com/UbitUmarov/libopenmetaverse)
and fork libremetaverse (https://github.com/Madpeterz/libremetaverse).

Regards and keep in health

Nitro

Edited by nitro2012pl
  • Like 1

@nitro2012pl I announced that yesterday, here in this thread - about 6 or 7 posts above yours. They probably got that information from here, since Michelle was passing it on to the group :)

Today saw one of this week's region updates, and there's no change. We're expecting several updates this week, so the fix may still come.

Edited by Phil Deakins

On 11/29/2020 at 8:07 AM, Phil Deakins said:

I'm looking for anyone who runs one or more bots in SL. I don't mean multiple avatars extra viewers. I mean proper bots.

Wait. You use bots, Phil? Really?

😏

It's kind of fun that some things never change. It's too bad that you couldn't resurrect that marathon thread you had on the old RA about bots . . . now I'm all nostalgic and stuff.

• Like 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1231 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.