This is all too much like SL

animats

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1240 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Someone in Russia made a game that's intended to be boring - "It's Winter"

It’s nighttime and you find yourself in a small, dark flat in a nondescript suburb in Russia. You look out of the window and see the courtyard covered in snow, illuminated by street lamps and the cold neon glare of store fronts. You turn on the light switch and look around your apartment.

You can make eggs on toast, turn on the radio, take a bath, and take out the trash. You leave the flat and go for a walk around the deserted courtyard. The corner shop and beauty salon are both closed and the playground is eerily empty. In fact, there are no people to be seen wherever you go. “Nothing awaits you: there is no chance to get out, no room for adventures, nor a breathtaking plot. All you have to do is experience the precisely detailed, pixelated mundanity of the world around you."

Somehow that feels all too familiar.

• Like 7
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, animats said:

Someone in Russia made a game that's intended to be boring - "It's Winter"

It’s nighttime and you find yourself in a small, dark flat in a nondescript suburb in Russia. You look out of the window and see the courtyard covered in snow, illuminated by street lamps and the cold neon glare of store fronts. You turn on the light switch and look around your apartment.

You can make eggs on toast, turn on the radio, take a bath, and take out the trash. You leave the flat and go for a walk around the deserted courtyard. The corner shop and beauty salon are both closed and the playground is eerily empty. In fact, there are no people to be seen wherever you go. “Nothing awaits you: there is no chance to get out, no room for adventures, nor a breathtaking plot. All you have to do is experience the precisely detailed, pixelated mundanity of the world around you."

Somehow that feels all too familiar.

There are several games out there that have sl flavoring.

6 hours ago, animats said:

It is part of an art project including poems, videos, music. A commentary on modern busy life as well as not least the big games where contemplation and reflection rarely are a hallmark.

Now, Penn & Teller did something similar in the mid 1990'ties with the real time game Desert Bus, where the player drives a bus from from Tucson, Arizona, to Las Vegas, Nevada, in real time going max 45 mph (72 km/h). It takes 8 hours and you do not encounter anybody, see anything but empty desert.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Rachel1206 said:

It is part of an art project including poems, videos, music. A commentary on modern busy life as well as not least the big games where contemplation and reflection rarely are a hallmark.

Now, Penn & Teller did something similar in the mid 1990'ties with the real time game Desert Bus, where the player drives a bus from from Tucson, Arizona, to Las Vegas, Nevada, in real time going max 45 mph (72 km/h). It takes 8 hours and you do not encounter anybody, see anything but empty desert.

That reminds me of an experience my friend told me. Flying to Australia, crossing the west coast at whatever thousand feet, the terrain quickly changes to red desert, and stays like that for five hours. That's a lot of empty red desert.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Conifer Dada said:

I watched the video and my first thought was 'Sansar without sunshine". 

I wonder if some people will get trapped in the miserable apartment game, addicted to the hope that interesting new features will come along one day!

Yep some people will. Because they are hopelessly and foolishly optimistic about things getting better. 

• Haha 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1240 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.