Favorite or Least Favorite Holiday Song or Movie

Rowan Amore

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1202 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

31 minutes ago, Lysana McMillan said:

Lordy, I forgot one that pisses people off but I adore it so very much. Moreso when I found out the original lyrics were taken from pre-Christian Ukranian tradition.

It became Carol of the Bells. It started out more like this: 

This one gave me goosebumps.  I forgot how much I love "Carol of the Bells" too...probably my No.3 favorite is Carol of the Bells in almost every version I've heard.  

My favorites would be just about any of the Trans-Siberian Orchestra songs.  My husband and I have been fortunate to have seen them live each year for the past 7 or 8 years.  This year we're going to watch their virtual concert performance.    I love their songs not just for the music and the singing, and the performance part, but for the thoughts that are contained in the words. 

This is the song that first captured me, and led to me finding their other songs, and then going to their shows:

• Like 3

I like to watch this over the holidays. Visuals are just wonderful.  

And I like that Vanessa Williams scrooge movie too, A Diva's Christmas Carol.  

I have only one least fav, the Jim Carrey Grinch movie.  

• Thanks 1

I haven't been what I consider religious for a long time, but I do love carols. I've been known to attend midnight Mass on Christmas Eve even though I've never been Catholic, because I find the atmosphere and music very calming and beautiful. This is my favourite carol, and I much prefer it being sung by a boy soprano like this; no other type of voice has that same piercing quality for it. (Aled Jones performed Walking in the Air, which I also love, for the release as a single, but it was Peter Aughty who sang it for The Snowman; he wasn't originally credited and his voice had broken by the time they decided to make a single, which is why Jones did it and everyone thinks it's Jones on the soundtrack. He still feels guilty about that, but Aughty has been very nice about it.)

Just...chills. I love the voice, I love the melody, I love the harmonies at the end. I'm not religious but I do love this. 

Edited by Amina Sopwith
  • Like 4

I have two terrible Xmas secrets:

I really like the Mariah Carey song. Actually, I think its the best Xmas song of all time, except the one by Wizard! How can I decorate an Xmas tree or wrap presents to Joy Division?!? xD Also, she is really funny.

And I cannot watch the Tiny Tim scene in Mickey's Christmas Carol without bawling my eyes out 😭:x

Now I will never be allowed in an SL alternative club again.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Rat Luv said:

I have two terrible Xmas secrets:

I really like the Mariah Carey song. Actually, I think its the best Xmas song of all time, except the one by Wizard! How can I decorate an Xmas tree or wrap presents to Joy Division?!? xD Also, she is really funny.

I like the Shakin' Stevens one so much, I listen to it all year round. It's on my gym playlist, and a lot of the songs on that don't get listened to (or admitted to) at any other time, but darn it, if I'm pounding the cross trainer or lifting weights, I need at least some shameless cheese in my earphones.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Amina Sopwith said:

I like the Shakin' Stevens one so much, I listen to it all year round. It's on my gym playlist, and a lot of the songs on that don't get listened to (or admitted to) at any other time, but darn it, if I'm pounding the cross trainer or lifting weights, I need at least some shameless cheese in my earphones.

LOL. It's true, gym music is a massive exception. I have "Put A Donk On It" by Blackout Crew on my gym playlist xD

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Rat Luv said:

LOL. It's true, gym music is a massive exception. I have "Put A Donk On It" by Blackout Crew on my gym playlist xD

How have I never heard this work of genius?? Thank you. Just played it, and the cat shot off my head and ran into the next room. This is going straight on the cross trainer list and I'll probably sing it to my son at bedtime. 

I consider that an early Christmas present. No idea how I've never heard it before. Thank you.

• Like 1

On 11/28/2020 at 7:28 PM, FairreLilette said:

Favorite is The Christmas Song by Nat King Cole.  The ..."chesnuts roasting on an open fire; Jack Frost nipping at your nose..."...etc song (pasted below).  Runner up and very close would be "Have Yourself a Merry Little Christmas" by Judy Garland.  Meet Me in Saint Louis with Judy Garland is a pretty good "Christmas" movie, although not really a Christmas movie.  My favorite Christmas movie is probably "A Christmas Carol", the Jim Bacchus version although I like other versions too.

My least favorite "Grandma Got Runover By a Reindeer".    

this is more than my favorite ... for a while my husband and I woke up at 5am to Nat King Cole songs, in a cold old house that got warmer with this music...

• Like 3

Christmas can be a somewhat nostalgic season. Also there aren't a Hell of a lot of good industrial Christmas music, so, back to punk it is.

• Like 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1202 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.