Favorite or Least Favorite Holiday Song or Movie

Rowan Amore

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1229 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Least favorite holiday song? Do They Know It's Christmas. Every time I hear the song I notice something more that annoys me. And like Santa Claus, I keep a list.

The song is about Ethiopia, which is more christian than the UK. They definitely know it's Christmas.  In addition there's Sting singing "Where the only water flowing / Is the bitter sting of tears" which is grossly self-referential and indulgent, and there's the saint of pretension, Bono, doing the "Well tonight thank God it's them instead of you" bit.

And on top of all that, the latter star could probably feed all of Ethiopia alone with how rich he is, and beg-songs by extremely rich people get me going like nothing else!

Oh, and "where nothing ever grows, no rain or rivers flow" as if the entirely of Africa was a lifeless wasteland.

Edited by Cinos Field
  • Like 3

Well, my favourite Christmas song is "Tomorrow Shall Be My Dancing Day," an old English carol. Mostly commonly now you hear it as a choral piece arranged by John Gardner, but I much prefer it sung solo, especially to period instruments. This version isn't my favourite, but it's not bad. I love the metaphor of Jesus's life as a dance with humanity.

Runner up would be The Pretender's "2000 Miles," which usually has me sobbing about half way through.

Worst Christmas music? Pretty much anything played in a grocery store, but I hold a special loathing for Paul McCartney's "Wonderful Christmastime," a song so utterly awful, banal, and vomitous that it all but wipes out any credit McCartney deserves for everything else he ever wrote.

• Like 5

Favorite Christmas song? Probably Christmas in Hollis or Christmas Wrapping

Least Favorite, Do they Know it's Christmas or Grandma Got Run Over By a Reindeer.

Favorite Christmas movie: Die Hard. (caveat: I have not seen "Silent Night, Deadly Night" yet).

Least Favorite Christmas movie: It's a Wonderful Life.

• Like 1

Favorite is The Christmas Song by Nat King Cole.  The ..."chesnuts roasting on an open fire; Jack Frost nipping at your nose..."...etc song (pasted below).  Runner up and very close would be "Have Yourself a Merry Little Christmas" by Judy Garland.  Meet Me in Saint Louis with Judy Garland is a pretty good "Christmas" movie, although not really a Christmas movie.  My favorite Christmas movie is probably "A Christmas Carol", the Jim Bacchus version although I like other versions too.

My least favorite "Grandma Got Runover By a Reindeer".    

• Thanks 3

3 minutes ago, FairreLilette said:

Favorite is The Christmas Song by Nat King Cole.  The ..."chesnuts roasting on an open fire; Jack Frost nipping at your nose..."...etc song (pasted below).  Runner up and very close would be "Have Yourself a Merry Little Christmas" by Judy Garland.  Meet Me in Saint Louis with Judy Garland is a pretty good "Christmas" movie, although not really a Christmas movie.  My favorite Christmas movie is probably "A Christmas Carol", the Jim Bacchus version although I like other versions too.

My least favorite "Grandma Got Runover By a Reindeer".    

One of my mom's favorites, too.  It always reminds me of Christmas as a child and hearing her play it.

• Like 2

Favorite Christmas song: O Holy Night for religious songs (In Dulce Jubilo is right up there, though!), Dropkick Murphys' "The Season's Upon Us" for secular/modern. 

Least favorite: "Mary, Did You Know." The existence of this song angers me. It reminds me of everything wrong with certain branches of Christianity. Did Mary know her firstborn child was going to become a Really Big Deal? Are there Bibles published for the Christianists that omit the Gospel according to Luke? Seriously. If you believe the Bible is the true and inerrant Word of God, the section about how an angel visited Mary and told her God wanted her to give birth to His son on earth ought to tell you that maybe, JUST MAYBE, she knew. "The Christmas Shoes" is close to MDYK in my hate list for other reasons.

Favorite Christmas movie: Muppet Christmas Carol or The Christmas Chronicles
Least favorite: The Christmas That Almost Wasn't or Miracle on 34th Street

• Like 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1229 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.