Not Liking the Cloud

Lindal Kidd

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1242 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

34 minutes ago, Lindal Kidd said:

And while we're on the subject, what is this new stat I see in (some) people's nametags, below their Complexity?  It says Texture Area: X.XXX sq m.

That tells you who has big butts, and it does not lie.

• Like 1
  • Haha 8

This week I've had some bake fails, a shape not found in database, my foot size reduced to zero, failing to rezz my head, one shoe and some items of clothing, and saving outfits not working properly. As well as TP crashes and having to refresh attachments after a TP.

So, nothing out of the ordinary then.

Stuff like this spooked me at the start. Now I just shrug, try a relog, and deal with it.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Lindal Kidd said:

And while we're on the subject, what is this new stat I see in (some) people's nametags, below their Complexity?  It says Texture Area: X.XXX sq m.

I've not seen this -- using Firestorm viewer.  Maybe you accidentally triggered some sort of debug display.  Granted, I've had most people derendered lately due to the sales and thus stores being extra busy.  I'll have to pay closer attention to see if it shows in my viewer and what might be causing it.

48 minutes ago, BelindaN said:

failing to rezz my head

I still use the system head and I've had twice today where I have gone from full alpha (for sales shopping) back to an outfit and my head did not rez.  Re-doing the 'replace outfit' fixed it, but it was still a bit creepy to see me standing their headless.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Janet Voxel said:

Technologeez: The Cloud. After a longer-than-anticipated break… | by  Natalie Mead | Medium

It's something that a corporation called Linden Lab said was done to make things better, but corporations never do thing to make things better - they do things because it's cheaper and increases profits. I and my friends are having all the same problems. If you think the cloud was purely an altruistic move, I got some land in the Southern Ocean to sell you.

• Like 2

I loved his long-time double act with Margaret Dumont. She was superb in the way in which she always played the straight lady to his outrageous quips without ever giving herself away.

"Madam, I'm fighting for your virtue, which is more than you've ever done" (Suitably puzzled look on Mme Dumont's face by way of reply)

On a more serious note :D.  My Maitreya hud isn't working correctly now. The alphas show up on the hud as they should but not on the avatar. I have to relog in order to get the parts that need to disappear --- to disappear. 

I have had some of the instant crashes of late (black screen relog) but I have pinpointed that down to either heavy mesh, textures or scripts of the AREA I am in. I have been checking out Advent places and two of them I crashed instantly upon arrival. They aren't making my list obviously LOL.   But again, I agree that isn't the cloud but a sim (area) issue. 

• Like 1

On 11/27/2020 at 10:35 PM, Lindal Kidd said:

If the avatars you were seeing that above were all male then it's a strong possibility that they're wearing the Belleza Jake body. To be precise: all four copies of the Belleza Jake body that are in the folder. I've seen that red texture area warning three times, and on each occasion a quick scan of the avatars showed that to be the case. This is a scan of one guy I spotted at Akeruka, sporting the red texture area warning:

bdd7db65d610e6c0855cad78227a28ed.png

Each of those is a full copy of the body. When the creator updated the body previously, the hands and feet were completely redone, which meant that many old gloves, rings, and shoes didn't fit on the updated body. Hence the inclusion of updated versions of the body with the old hands and feet:

ddc9a9a7814851573dc400cb6cfd134f.png

The '2.1 Bento OriginalFeet' is the full body with the old feet, the '2.1 Bento OriginalHand' is the full body with the old hands, and the '2.1 Bento Original' is the full body with both the old hands and old feet. The '2.1 Bento' that's top of the list in the body's folder is the most up-to-date version with both the new hands and new feet. But because of the confusing way the bodies have been labelled, some guys seem to think that the 'OriginalFeet' body is just the feet, and that the 'OriginalHand' body is just the hands. So they wear everything. Four full copies of a three-layer body. No wonder they're showing a texture area warning!

Edited by Skell Dagger
  • Thanks 3
  • Sad 2

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1242 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.