Jump to content

I've Worked Every Thanksgiving of My Life. Why Can't the Lindens?


Prokofy Neva
 Share

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 291 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Recommended Posts

No company has an "obligation" in the absence of a contract or legal requirement to do anything.

However, no matter how secure a company feels, there is always the possibility that a competitor will emerge that is eager and able to serve their customers better. Plenty of smug, apathetic companies have bitten the dust because they forgot this. Therefore, well-managed companies strive to provide the best possible service to their customers.

As others have pointed out, there are always employees who will be eager to volunteer to work holidays if proper incentives are offered.

As a company that provides a 24/7 service to people all over the world, for many of whom Thanksgiving isn't a holiday, LL would be well-advised to provide support at all times.

  • Like 5
Link to comment
Share on other sites

20 hours ago, Prokofy Neva said:

It's worth mentioning that Oz Linden tore himself away from his sweet potato pie with bourbon (!) to TP into Ravenglass Realm and Belarus to see if they were working

Well that fix's things, glad to hear they are on it.

I had heard on the street that they were all on a business trip to the CEO's Ski School for skiing lessons..perhaps next year.

 

lets-go-skiing.jpg

  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, Jennifer Boyle said:

However, no matter how secure a company feels, there is always the possibility that a competitor will emerge that is eager and able to serve their customers better. Plenty of smug, apathetic companies have bitten the dust because they forgot this. Therefore, well-managed companies strive to provide the best possible service to their customers.

As a company that provides a 24/7 service to people all over the world, for many of whom Thanksgiving isn't a holiday, LL would be well-advised to provide support at all times.

this is more true then ever..and yes they should be much more considerate of residents not in the USA because they are just as important if not more in some regards to the well being of having a diverse community.

 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Sassy Kenin said:

this is more true then ever..and yes they should be much more considerate of residents not in the USA because they are just as important if not more in some regards to the well being of having a diverse community.

 

its an american based company do you really think they are going to care too much of what other countries do or dont do? as long as people pay tier, as long as they make profit, they dont really care if anyone gets in a frenzy because they had a little bit of problems for a day or two. they will get to the problem when it suits them and not before.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

16 minutes ago, Drakonadrgora Darkfold said:

they will get to the problem when it suits them and not before.

 

Those who live by the sword often die by the sword.

16 minutes ago, Drakonadrgora Darkfold said:

its an american based company do you really think they are going to care too much 

 

Prok had reasonable expectations . as for myself, my expectations are kept at the lowest settings so I'm rarely disappointed. 

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, Sassy Kenin said:

Those who live by the sword often die by the sword.

Prok had reasonable expectations . as for myself, my expectations are kept at the lowest settings so I'm rarely disappointed. 

and that is how live is meant to be lived. not hiding or running scared.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 11/26/2020 at 6:07 PM, Drakonadrgora Darkfold said:

Tough if you don't like it. Their company their rules. Not for you or anyone to decide what is fair or not since you're not in control and never will be.

A lot of companies completely shut down for the holidays. Does not matter if you think is fair or right or not. Just because you had to work the holidays because of the job you chose to work at.

Wow, I know you're correct, but good lord, that condescending tone?  Totally uncalled for.

  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Some residents work shift work and demanding schedules including every holiday (like myself) and we have the one or two days off to enjoy as much of Second Life and their sim/home with friend. When this situation happens it can absolutely destroy your short window of leisure hours. There should be Lindens available at all times to deal with issues. We pay for this and we should get some service. Just because the only time I can log in and play may be 3 am does not mean I have to suffer because it is a holiday or off hours!

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, Ziggy Starsmith said:

Some residents work shift work and demanding schedules including every holiday (like myself) and we have the one or two days off to enjoy as much of Second Life and their sim/home with friend. When this situation happens it can absolutely destroy your short window of leisure hours. There should be Lindens available at all times to deal with issues. We pay for this and we should get some service. Just because the only time I can log in and play may be 3 am does not mean I have to suffer because it is a holiday or off hours!

Actually no they don't have to be here just to make you happy.

Just because you are premium doesn't really make you special or important beyond what they decide.

Tough if you have limited time. They don't have to cater to your wishes ever. You are not in control and never will be. 

You don't get to have everything be how you want just because you think or demand it.

No one owes you anything really.

Get yourself more than one hobby or leisure activity.. then it won't be so destructive if something goes wrong.

Never put all your eggs in one basket.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Well isn't that special. Hope your home crashes for a week. Nice try trolling me. You get a life!

You tell me to get a life but obviously you can't read because I have a very busy life and premium is alot of money to pay out just for nothing. 

I am a front line worker, been working all through this Covid thing and all I ask is when I have a bit of downtown from a busy life that it works and I can go to my own home in SL and issues that prevent that can be fixed in a reasonable time. You? Just a keyboard warrior Mr Tough Guy.

Edited by Ziggy Starsmith
  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Ziggy Starsmith said:

Well isn't that special. Hope your home crashes for a week. Nice try trolling me. You get a life!

You tell me to get a life but obviously you can't read because I have a very busy life and premium is alot of money to pay out just for nothing. 

I am a front line worker, been working all through this Covid thing and all I ask is when I have a bit of downtown from a busy life that it works and I can go to my own home in SL and issues that prevent that can be fixed in a reasonable time. You? Just a keyboard warrior Mr Tough Guy.

it would not bother me if the home i go to in sl crashes for a day a week or a month, I have other places I can go to and enjoy my time in world.

it doesn't matter how busy your life is. you are not important or as special or as entitled as you might want to think you are because your so busy.

If you have only one hobby and it gets interrupted because of technical problems that is your own fault. as i said before dont put all your eggs in one basket, if you do its your own fault if something goes wrong.

paying for premium does not entitle you to instant service or support the moment you want it. You are no more important than anyone else. tough if you cant understand that fact. 

thats the problem with people now days.. "oh I pay so im super special and important, make me happy all at times I say so or else its not fair." where here is a hint life is not always fair nor will it be just because you say so.

  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

18 hours ago, Drakonadrgora Darkfold said:

it would not bother me if the home i go to in sl crashes for a day a week or a month, I have other places I can go to and enjoy my time in world.

it doesn't matter how busy your life is. you are not important or as special or as entitled as you might want to think you are because your so busy.

If you have only one hobby and it gets interrupted because of technical problems that is your own fault. as i said before dont put all your eggs in one basket, if you do its your own fault if something goes wrong.

paying for premium does not entitle you to instant service or support the moment you want it. You are no more important than anyone else. tough if you cant understand that fact. 

thats the problem with people now days.. "oh I pay so im super special and important, make me happy all at times I say so or else its not fair." where here is a hint life is not always fair nor will it be just because you say so.

 Buh Bye

Edited by Ziggy Starsmith
Link to comment
Share on other sites

18 hours ago, Drakonadrgora Darkfold said:

Actually no they don't have to be here just to make you happy.

Just because you are premium doesn't really make you special or important beyond what they decide.

Tough if you have limited time. They don't have to cater to your wishes ever. You are not in control and never will be. 

You don't get to have everything be how you want just because you think or demand it.

No one owes you anything really.

Get yourself more than one hobby or leisure activity.. then it won't be so destructive if something goes wrong.

Never put all your eggs in one basket.

BDSM as a lifestyle is always bleeding out into other settings where no one has consented, despite its invalid claims to the contrary.

The authoritarian trash talk we keep getting here is the way this person can feel powerful and important, by aligning with a cruel and indifferent Silicon Valley company that shafts its customers. He delights in wielding this monstrous, indifferent company on other people vicariously. This is a very old story on the forums, where the same personas with the same shtick appear again and again.

What's interesting is that Linden Lab itself has evolved from that combination of hippie commune and authoritarian Not-Benign Dictator of a software cult into something more resembling a place with rules and regulations and customer service.

And the fact of the matter is, Lindens *do* work on Thanksgiving because obviously they don't leave 30,000 servers to spin silently until they crash, while they go skiing or partying in violation of COVID regulations in their state.

The problem is that the customer-facing online support is closed, and the tickets aren't looked at. So 2 or even 4 days is a long time to leave a ticket like that. You wonder why sims going down and staying down don't produce some red light on a panel somewhere.

I could understand if the server farm was a vast, terrestrial canyon, where some dude with long grey hair and a string tie with Native American turquois who is reading "Naked Lunch" until he waits for his dealer to drop off the micro-dose of LSD were in charge, and we had to rely on him getting on his scooter and driving through the dark canyons in search of a red, blinking light.

But with at least half of SL in the cloud, "Val," as they call him, is probably headed for retirement, which in his case will be an RV in Utah.

And even I know, since the chore of the Amazon AWS panels would fall to me at some of my jobs where the supposedly more knowledgeable males had no clue what they were doing, whereas at least I have run SL sims. And when something is wrong, you are under DDoS attack, something's up, a bill isn't paid, your time is running out, you get warnings from Amazon. I imagine there is more than just an email and web panel here but maybe even a virtual reconstruction just as IBM once had on a sim here. Who knows. But the point is within 36 hours, they appeared and got the sims working.

 

  • Haha 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

In a perfect, non captialist hellscape, nobody would be forced into having to work on holidays. There would be benfical, truly volentary (and not that crap "its totes optimal but well find a way to fire you or ensure you  will have that onebad check away from homelessness volenteering) spots for those that don't want to celebrate so the wheels can keep turning.

But we don't currently live in that world so we have this awful catch 22 situation of needing support. But customer service is often the most overworked and needing of holidays.

My empathy is with both the workers and the customers in this situation. People need to have support when things go wrong because currently lesuire time and avtivties are in short supply and very needed.  But the staff also need breaks and holidays.

Paid holiday overtime without strings attached if you don't take it might be the best approach.

 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

In the real world, companies that cater to our leisure times, are staffed predominantly during those times. So although the golf club has groundskeeper personnel on during the off hours, the customer support staff that interface directly with visitors, are mostly on during the evenings and weekends to address any problems coming up when people are taking advantage of those leisure times. That is the nature of such a business normally.

From that perspective it strikes me that there should be Lindens available during peak concurrency times, not so much during the off hours. That doesn't really seem to be the case.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 11/28/2020 at 6:52 AM, Drakonadrgora Darkfold said:

no attitude at all, just simple truth. not all companies do or have to require their employees to work the holidays even if they provide a 24/7 service. just because secondlife itself and the forums does not shut down, doesn't mean they have to have a full support staff available on the holidays. because a normal person will wait until the next day instead of panic or complain like an entitlement minded child.

Sorry, that attitude simply does not apply to services that operate in multiple countries and judiciaries.  SecondLife is a 24/7 international operation and it has responsibilities to its users and customers.

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 minutes ago, Aishagain said:

Sorry, that attitude simply does not apply to services that operate in multiple countries and judiciaries.  SecondLife is a 24/7 international operation and it has responsibilities to its users and customers.

Wrong  it does apply  even if you don't like it.  You're not owed or entitled to anything you think you are. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Arielle Popstar said:

In the real world, companies that cater to our leisure times, are staffed predominantly during those times. So although the golf club has groundskeeper personnel on during the off hours, the customer support staff that interface directly with visitors, are mostly on during the evenings and weekends to address any problems coming up when people are taking advantage of those leisure times. That is the nature of such a business normally.

From that perspective it strikes me that there should be Lindens available during peak concurrency times, not so much during the off hours. That doesn't really seem to be the case.

its because unlike other companies LL actually tries to be nice and let its employees have the holidays off even if others think that is unfair or wrong because their company doesn't.

no two companies in the same field of business have to behave the same ever. even if their customer base want to think or believe or claim different.

they are allowed to allow their employees off for the holidays regardless of what sort of service they provide.

even places like some nursing homes often cut down to a skeleton crew on the holidays. and many factories completely shut down even their customer support lines.

Edited by Drakonadrgora Darkfold
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Drakonadrgora Darkfold said:

You're not owed or entitled to anything you think you are.

Oh dear, the old "entitlement" issue. It is long past the time that Americans came to the understanding that their way is neither the best way nor is it the only way.

I pay for my use of SL but I do not base my comments upon that.  Secondlife is an international operation even if Linden Research or whoever it it that apparently now owns Linden Lab is not.

Unless and until companies such as these realise that they are part of the World at large we in the old world will continue to harass them to behave in a responsible manner.

By the way the icon you have chosen to represent yourself is offensive.

 

Edited by Aishagain
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Drakonadrgora Darkfold said:

even places like some nursing homes often cut down to a skeleton crew on the holidays. and many factories completely shut down even their customer support lines.

Indeed but they also always maintain sufficient staffing to deal with emergencies should things go awry.

THAT is what a responsible company does!

Edited by Aishagain
  • Like 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 291 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...