TidalCycle extensions to LSL?

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1239 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

TidalCycles (or 'tidal' for short) is free/open source software, that allows you to make patterns with code, whether live coding music at algoraves or composing in the studio.

Has anyone considered the potential creative value that integrating something like this into LSL might provide to musicality of our virtual world? Has anyone considered integrating musical technology into scripts, automation, and the world itself beyond 2003's ten-second-long Ogg Vorbis clip implementation? Shouldn't this be a musical world, too?

Edited by Chroma Starlight
  • Haha 1

I'm not sure how the 3D virtual world interacts with this, constructively. There could be art in that interaction.

Also not sure TidalCycles is the best way to explore it. Or SL, for that matter. (Like, whatever 3D contributes, would VR do more?)

But the prospect might excite the right musician.

• Haha 1

I don't know if TidalCycles is the best way to add musicality to Second Life, but it makes me think of a 'particle system' for sound, where different patterns can be created with parameters.  Ideas to dynamically add color to the world with an API geared toward more intuitive creation of sound in-world.  This is potentially about providing easy paths for anyone to become more musical, and to think and develop in-world musical experiences, if they want to.

What if we get an algorithmic drummer's circle going and everyone's changing their part as intuitively as people might build together   What API could make that progressively easier to implement for in-world developers and sonic explorers/performers/artists?

Maybe there's no need to wait for the technology of tomorrow or new paradigms of immersive hardware, after all, we're hacking some of the oldest parts of the human cognition here when we start working in sound and music and rhythm, and it just seems like there are opportunities already here for APIs that could provide new interface for intuitive musical and sonic creation in-world at a higher level.

Much emphasis has been placed on the visual components of the world with good reason, but focusing on just one sense is not how we're wired up to perceive the world around us. I'm not saying anything Linden Lab doesn't know and hasn't explored before, we're just enthusiastic about what is now possible or beginning to be explored.

Edited by Chroma Starlight
The most exciting version of reality is witnessed between your ears
  • Haha 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1239 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.