Process Credit doesn't consider disabled people or people in care

Kiomarou

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1239 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

The Process Credit form requires these things for my country (UK):
Driving License.
Passport
Identity Card
Residence Permit

But also requires "Required utility bill showing address within 90 days"

I am someone who is exempt from driving due to photosensitivity and fatigue. So I have no driving license.
I also am not rich at all and have never left my country so have no passport. So I have no passport.
I have never been required an state ID card, and as far as I know they were abolished in the UK under the opposition of fascism see https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Identity_Cards_Act_2006 . So I have no ID cards.
I have also no residence permit because I am native to my country.

I do not pay taxes or bills directly because I am disabled and have a legal worker for this.

This seems discriminatory to disabled natives that there is no other options for this. I'm surprised of this because I've only ever used SL because I am not able bodied in real life, which if I recall was one of the reasons for the creation of SL (plus The Rig etc).
The requirements of the form also means also that homeless people (like one of my friends) can't process credit either.

Is Second Life now ableist and authoritarian or am I missing an option? Thanks.

10 answers to this question

3 hours ago, Alwin Alcott said:

But i'm sure an English member can give advice where to go.

Disabled English person here.  I was paperless for bills and bank account but asked for a bank statement for 1 month to use.  I do have a passport but there is also the option of a citizens card.  All done online  https://www.citizencard.com/ which i am sure your legal worker could help you with.  

• Like 3

That's fine but Linden Lab being a U.S.A company answers to U.S laws.

What works in the U.K doesn't mean it works also in the U.S or any other country so you need to provide whatever is necessary in order to process credit. I am also a foreigner and my ID card was not accepted because ID's 20 years ago in my country were written by hand and it's considered legit only for EU countries, so Linden Lab very politely requested from me other ways to prove who i am and they were very helpful. (International Drivers license was fine and regarding residence i gave them a fresh copy of my Tax clearance).

Also when i opened my Skrill account (Skrill located in the U.K), once again me being a foreigner although EU citizen Skrill asked me to provide the same documents for verification.
So Linden Lab (technically a financial institution) it's normal to follow the U.S PATRIOT Act and the Prepaid Access Rule.
For us the choice is either to play by the book or don't play at all. I am sure your government, city hall services can provide you with the necessary documents.

2 hours ago, Kiomarou said:

Driving License.
Passport
Identity Card
Residence Permit

i'm a bit surprised to be honest .. as EU citizen i have to show my ID at all official actions as banks, credit cards, and other financial, medical or private personal situations like lawyers, notary and government. I can't imagine as , former, EU land the UK is a lot different, i think you should be able to get one or other ID document without much trouble.
But i'm sure an English member can give advice where to go.

Edited by Alwin Alcott

Just a reminder that you are dealing the TILIA, not Linden Lab directly so contacting Tilia support would be the thing to do.  Not everyone is going to be able to process their credit to Paypal.  There was one long time Sansar citizen (from alpha) that had been trying for a year to get things worked out. The latest thing he was doing was getting a certified letter from his bank.  I am not sure if that worked or not as I left Sansar about a year ago.  So it is possible that you may not be able to process your credit balance. 

To be fair, The Lab did give folks a heads up over a year ago and people who were paying attention processed their credit before it got more complex.  Hopefully it isn't a large chunk of money involved.    But LL is  not discriminating against any particular group.    

Edited by Chic Aeon
typo

On 11/25/2020 at 4:31 PM, Cindy Evanier said:

Disabled English person here.  I was paperless for bills and bank account but asked for a bank statement for 1 month to use.  I do have a passport but there is also the option of a citizens card.  All done online  https://www.citizencard.com/ which i am sure your legal worker could help you with.  

Say I was able to get a citizen card but I heard like provisional licenses they don't get treat as official usually. The service demands a utility bill. However not everyone pay bills, and much less utility/tax bills if they have a carer, welfare, etc, it generally is done via the government. And you required a signed bank statement, surely?

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1239 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.