Time Travel RP

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3708 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

There are lots of cool places to time travel to in SL. Great historical sites and settings, fantastic furture and sci fi sims, and many of these welcome the would be temporal traveller. Some do not,lol....I have been run off in my Tardis by a few historically set sims now, and understanbly so in most cases. Someone looking for a good idea should build a sim that is three versions of the same city on sim sized platforms, one for the past, present, and future respectively....but tied in to a single roleplay storyline with attention to causality. I have some ideas to lend if anyone is interested, and although I will within the next month be away from SL for a time, when i come back if no one has done this maybe I will. 

Would be really amusing ot be in a time travel RP where people that played in the present and future areas are always screwed over by someone or some people that does something to affect the past.

Present: Yay, I saved the reactor from blowing.

Future: Thanks to an unnamed hero in the past , our city still exists today.

Past: Hey, it would be better to create three reactors and link them to one control center, instead of just building one reactor. That is a great idea.

Present: Augh....we cannot get all three reactors controlled, its going to blow...BOOM BOOM BOOM

Future: (silence settles over the irradiated ruins of the city)

Past: Our city will last for generations to come, thanks to your suggestion, unlimited power for everyone, heaven forbid that they blow up LOL LOL LOL

I'm not a coder, but I'm pretty sure that I have identified a way to simulate short amounts of time travel within an online simulator.

When someone has finally made it work, users should be able to push a slider on the bottom of the screen left or right to send their avatar backward or forward in time a little bit, but the slider has to gradually move back to the center, which is some kind of default present.

The idea is related to lag, but much more sophisticated.

If you've ever frozen a video game, you will recognize that game states can be made static and then reapplied later as part of a stream of events. 

If multiple successive game states can be saved in a progressing buffer, they should also be possible to project by extending mathematical processes more quickly than they need to be realized as simulation.

Moving an avatar forward of backward would have the data effect of putting a user into a different point in the simulation process, but it would also have the effect of overwriting data in that part of the process, including things like avatar position.

In MUDs, players already proactively edit future parts of the game narrative simply by playing the game. That's how games work, and it seems realistic because that's also how reality works. But hackers also have ways of retroactively editing earlier game state data to produce concurrent data stata they can use to advantage. What I'm describing is a system in which the ability to hack the past (and future) is integrated with the viewer renderer. That is, because some part of the past and future (or some version of these things) exists as data at the same time that the present exists, it should be possible to treat portions of the past and future as present as far as the data and the viewing/rendering are concerned. 

Players of first-person shooters are accustomed to replaying the past. But whether what they are playing is the past or what they were playing before was the future is very subjective. With a default present, this is less ambiguous, but the data processing could be essentially the same... with the exception that other players are also participating in a subjectively disjunct chronology. While one person is preplaying the future, someone else can be replaying the past; both things could seem like the present, but a normal order of causality could still exist for data moving in one direction, and not the other.

Simple applications in combat simulation might be things like surprising the enemy by hiding in the future in an abruptly revised position, or attacking him in the past from behind where you didn't used to be.

Less obvious things could be specific time travel weapons and defense systems, such as a gun that discharges a second before it is fired, or a time bomb that detonates a minute earlier, or a device that randomly revises avatar position and historically revises it.

Well, as a citizen of New Babbage, we get a lot of visits from Time Lords and random time travelling folk. They are usually quite well mannered and are regarded with a sort of jovial curiosity by the locals. This is possibly because one of our residents is majorly connected to the DRwho Expo sim, in fact he may run it, i`m not entirely sure, but Babbage has always been a popuular temporal sightseeing spot.

Of course, as a steam punk community, we have quite a high tolerance of wierdness, so long as it is done in non magical terms. A Tardis is very clearly a machine and our nearby steamland of new Caledon actually has an entire shop dedicated to time machines, which have an esteemed literary steampunk base. Any serious historical sim is likely to have issues with the presence of time travellers, so if in doubt, its probably a good idea to check with the locals of that sim to see how they may react. You may find that one or two of them is ok with you exploring their part of the sim, but others are not, so you would have some limits on your access.

If in doubt, ask and the worst that can happen is they say "sorry but no", which is a lot better than getting "run of someone's land".

I'm also part of a small time travelers group based out of the Victorian steampunk town of New Barataria. Because time travel is not common in this region nor in most of the historical sims we'd like to visit, our group requires members to be discreet about being time travelers & to always respect the rules & customs of the lands we visit.

Anyone who is interested in time travel RP, please contact the Society of Temporal Sojourners. If you're already part of a steampunk time travel group I'd love for our members to meet each other & perhaps have tea sometime.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3708 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.