Corsets, Gowns, Deformers, and Animations ...

Orwar

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1245 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I wasn't sure whether I should have just made a thread in the 'Wanted' section, or whether to put it in here - I went with here as I figured it's not 'just' something I want, but something that I'd like to discuss a bit.

Yesterday, I went shopping and came across a push-up deformer, which I of course had to give a try - and immediately decided I had to buy it; it worked perfectly with a dress I'd just looked at for Neph, that has a tight-laced corset. Very pretty, but it just looks weird when your avatar's breasts are just flopping about as usual whilst being in a corset. I've also quite recently bought deformers for her shoulders, as her AO sometimes makes her look a bit tensed up - unfortunately they don't do as much for me, but it did make me curious about what other deformers there are out there. Theeen something really interesting happened, as Neph was outfitted with a new *ahem* - it's just a full-blown technological marvel, that thing, with animations and deformers for both bosom and posterior, and I really felt like deformers can do some interesting things that are difficult to achieve with shapes alone.

So to my first 'wanted' thing - what about corset deformers, that pull in the sides? Preferably in a few stages from just 'it's snug' and 'pretty tight', but it might be fun to try something more extreme on occasion (knowing there's a lot of corset lovers around, I figure this ought to be pretty popular!). Has anyone seen such a thing? I tried searching for it, but I'm not finding much on the MP.

Speaking of that gown, it has the age-old issue that appears to be a thing with all gowns ... Walking in it looks completely wild. There's been several threads on the topic over the years, yet I haven't found anything that works. I've tried AOs that are supposed to be made for gowns, but the legs' animations are still moving much too much. I've tried 'leg lockers', and apart from being immediately showered in script errors whenever I put one on, it works for a moment before breaking down.

So I'll ask one more time, whether anyone has any solutions to this? I don't know whether it'd be possible to make a leg lock that just locks your ankles and knees, and perhaps reduces how much the thighs and hips move - something that would reduce the deformation of long skirts and dresses both whilst just moving around or standing in your AO, and whilst dancing.

I'm also curious about what other deformers people might be using. I haven't thought much of them in the past - up until recently I thought that deformers' main purpose was to troll people by turning their avies into broken messes. 

I use a few body deformers; because I wanted my avatar to have a more masculine shape than is possible with Maitreya alone, I use one to drop the shoulders (it also narrows them but I use the sliders to compensate) - this one helps greatly to neutralise the "extruded plasticine shoulders" that Maitreya suffers from. 

I use a belly-flattener because I have my bodyfat sliders set high (around 60%) just so I don't look too thin at over 7' tall but that level of bodyfat gives me more belly than I'm happy with.

I use a modifier made for Belleza Jake to thicken the upper arms; though it works on any body, it does put an odd crease in the elbow on Maitreya.

Haven't had any success with breast mods, I tried to find one that would make them flatter, but they weren't a great success and the Petite chest from Maitreya eliminated the need for those, for me.

I've not seen anything that pulls the waist in, though I suspect this is a shape that you can achieve with the Slink Hourglass body, with low "lovehandles" and high "saddlebags".

On the topic of leg locks, no. I've tried to make my own but even at Priority 4, the dances override it, so I suspect that such a thing is not possible unless you can find dances that are Priority 3 or below, and use only those. 

I do like those body deformers though, in general.

Edited by Maitimo
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, Maitimo said:

I use a belly-flattener because I have my bodyfat sliders set high (around 60%) just so I don't look too thin at over 7' tall but that level of bodyfat gives me more belly than I'm happy with.

Interesting. I've actually felt a bit torn on what to do with Neph's body fat slider. I don't want her to look too much like a stick, but I don't want her to be pot-bellied either. May have to look into that!

While I don't personally use these, I have several friends who swear by them.  This is store that I've seen used the most, and they have demos for you try which is nice.  I know if I was wearing Maitreya full time, I would probably invest in quite a few of these.  The only issues I've really seen with them is that sometimes  you experience clipping with your clothes that wouldn't normally be there and you might have to reset them . I personally would love to see a morph that fixes the wrists on Maitreya, but not sure that is a thing that can be done  .

• Thanks 2

3 minutes ago, Laurel Aurelia said:

This is store that I've seen used the most, and they have demos for you try which is nice.

Ooh. Was about to purchase a bunch from the other store - but I'll go ahead and demo some of these first to see which I like best! 

37 minutes ago, Orwar said:

Ooh. Was about to purchase a bunch from the other store - but I'll go ahead and demo some of these first to see which I like best! 

Definitely demo them all, and try them with different outfits. I find that they generally don't cause any clipping with rigged mesh, provided that the clothing you're wearing is well-rigged to the body. You may run into clipping problems with clothing that's rigged less well. And anything unrigged (like jewelry) may well need to be adjusted differently.

There's another store here: https://marketplace.secondlife.com/stores/224588 (this is where I got my shoulder mod)

And here: https://marketplace.secondlife.com/stores/186228 (the thicker-biceps mod I have is from here)

6 minutes ago, Maitimo said:

You may run into clipping problems with clothing that's rigged less well.

This is always true. I've recently changed my demo routine from 'look at it whilst T-posed to see whether it fits and whether the textures and materials are decent' to 'hop out of the T-pose and move around a little, because apparently people make clothing that isn't meant to be moved in?!'.

Oh, I'll have to check those out as well. Just finished doing some shots to compare no deformers vs. Small vs. Eredita .. Only thing I decided so far is 'yeah, I'll want to get some deformers'. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Orwar said:

Speaking of that gown, it has the age-old issue that appears to be a thing with all gowns ... Walking in it looks completely wild. There's been several threads on the topic over the years, yet I haven't found anything that works. I've tried AOs that are supposed to be made for gowns, but the legs' animations are still moving much too much. I've tried 'leg lockers', and apart from being immediately showered in script errors whenever I put one on, it works for a moment before breaking down.

Try the Gretchen AO from the SL Library - it sort of glides... Clothing > Inital Outfits.

• Thanks 1

Check this, I mean yes it`s just one item but very clever and well made (BoM skin can be applied to cleavage area for a seamless fit)...regarding deformers and clothes, it comes down to good rigging and some creators seem to be relying on alpha way too much, that solution doesn`t work well with revealing clothes...speaking of gowns (long skirts), a lot depends on AO movement, best to stay clear from overly active ones when wearing such items..

2 hours ago, Orwar said:

I have not gotten into deformers yet but have interest in a few, so thanks for the read - lots of leads here.

As far as an AO, I also was so seriously upset for years that there aren't AO's made for wearing dresses.   So, what I finally did and what succeeded for me is I picked out a pretty good AO I liked and then bought other animations I could modify the AO with. 

An easy way to modify an AO is to rez it on the ground and then open it transferring all animations to your inventory individually.  Next, try each animation and write down the names of the animations you'd like to replace.  Then you are done with step 1.  Next, find the animations you do want to replace those animations and re-name the animations the exact name of the animations you do not like.  Next, rez a fresh copy of your AO to the ground and delete the animations you don't like.  Then, right click EDIT and go to CONTENTS and drag the animations that you have re-named into the CONTENTS area of the AO and close and take back into inventory and wear.  Since you re-named the animations you do want the exact name of the one's you don't want, the notecard will automatically configure without a problem since the names are the same.  This way you don't have to re-do the notecard in the AO, etc.  I found that simply by replacing about 4 or 5 animations, I can have a nice dress AO.  

4 hours ago, Orwar said:

I wasn't sure whether I should have just made a thread in the 'Wanted' section, or whether to put it in here - I went with here as I figured it's not 'just' something I want, but something that I'd like to discuss a bit.

Yesterday, I went shopping and came across a push-up deformer, which I of course had to give a try - and immediately decided I had to buy it; it worked perfectly with a dress I'd just looked at for Neph, that has a tight-laced corset. Very pretty, but it just looks weird when your avatar's breasts are just flopping about as usual whilst being in a corset. I've also quite recently bought deformers for her shoulders, as her AO sometimes makes her look a bit tensed up - unfortunately they don't do as much for me, but it did make me curious about what other deformers there are out there. Theeen something really interesting happened, as Neph was outfitted with a new *ahem* - it's just a full-blown technological marvel, that thing, with animations and deformers for both bosom and posterior, and I really felt like deformers can do some interesting things that are difficult to achieve with shapes alone.

So to my first 'wanted' thing - what about corset deformers, that pull in the sides? Preferably in a few stages from just 'it's snug' and 'pretty tight', but it might be fun to try something more extreme on occasion (knowing there's a lot of corset lovers around, I figure this ought to be pretty popular!). Has anyone seen such a thing? I tried searching for it, but I'm not finding much on the MP.

So I'll ask one more time, whether anyone has any solutions to this? I don't know whether it'd be possible to make a leg lock that just locks your ankles and knees, and perhaps reduces how much the thighs and hips move - something that would reduce the deformation of long skirts and dresses both whilst just moving around or standing in your AO, and whilst dancing.

I'm also curious about what other deformers people might be using. I haven't thought much of them in the past - up until recently I thought that deformers' main purpose was to troll people by turning their avies into broken messes. 

I read another thread, and it mention special walks. https://community.secondlife.com/forums/topic/448746-standing-still-ao/?do=findComment&comment=2050420

I am not sure if you have tested walks from this brand. It would be really stupid if no one had made walks for gowns.

• Thanks 2

To solve the dress issue you could try looking for animations or leg locks that work with hobble skirts. I also found a couple of sets of 'tight skirt' animations from Curio Obscura, but they're pretty old (system avatars on the ads) so they won't be Bento enabled. If the skirt is floor length and the feet won't be seen when walking you could also try this.

• Thanks 2

All right, I'll have to look into those animations tomorrow. For now, I got some deformers.

4414c6fa87dbccd878ed7c91d53d773e.gif

Shoulders down and in a little, stomach in a little, a slightly wider thigh gap (no more thighs going through each other!), and a flatter posterior. Very pleased with it! 

• Like 4

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1245 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.