SL web based viewer

subgay

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1146 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Has anyone know if Sl has plans to implement an official web viewer? Perhaps it would be lighther and less demanding than the regular viewer...and now that they are migrating to the cloud... would it be more feasible? I've known they had a successful one back in 2005 -SL Go- but it was aborted..

I have invited many people to join SL and all have refused it because they had to download a viewer and they feared it could harm their Pc

Thanks

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

16 minutes ago, Alwin Alcott said:

based on?

I send the Sl link to a forum (a music fan club) and the webmaster calified my invitation as pirate and harmful software if I remember well, and they refused the invite for that reason

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, subgay said:

send the Sl link to a forum (a music fan club) and the webmaster calified my invitation as pirate and harmful software if I remember well, and they refused the invite for that reason

oh FFS.  That "webmaster" is an idiot.

Edited by Aishagain
  • Like 2

7 hours ago, subgay said:

I have invited many people to join SL and all have refused it because they had to download a viewer and they feared it could harm their Pc

Thanks

Yes, we'd all be here for years if it was harmful.   Addicting possibly but not harmful.

• Like 1

@subgay It is possible, nay likely that these same people take the view that downloading a programme which then tries (needs) to contact a previously unknown web address is perforce  dangerous.  That is simply understandable ignorance which a little due diligence on anyone's part will resolve.  Nevertheless it is just that, ignorance.

I did all this over 12 years ago with next to no knowledge of the web and its strands.  If I can do it, anyone can.  I repeat:  the Web(gender irrelevant) is an idiot.

16 minutes ago, subgay said:

why? is it difficult to develop? expensive?

difficult is a pretty relative term

with software development like most things, is more about time and money. How  long will this take to do ? How much will it cost ? And what is the the ROI, how much money and/or new users can we expect to get after spending the time and money

4 hours ago, subgay said:

why? is it difficult to develop? expensive?

i think the answer is simple and the same in regards to why it's almost 2021and there  isn't an Android client, IOS client, updated Linux client, it's simply called lack of interest.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Mollymews said:

and/or new users can we expect to get

I can assure you that many people have turned down my invitations to SL due to the fact they had to download the viewer...not to mention registering an account..

I think they would attract more visitors if they would allow an streaming viewer of their own and also the possibility of exploring inworld as a guest also..

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, subgay said:

I can assure you that many people have turned down my invitations to SL due to the fact they had to download the viewer...not to mention registering an account..

I think they would attract more visitors if they would allow an streaming viewer of their own and also the possibility of exploring inworld as a guest also..

What you're describing is called Decentraland. You can do exactly what you just described by using a web browser and entering the world. There is no need to sign up, so anyone can enter as a guest. I've had very little experience with this virtual world. It might be worth looking into, but it's no replacement for SL.

Screenshot at 2020-11-25 10-45-32.png

LL had a web based viewer at one point,  it logged into SL, into a certain region and you was a guest only, no real way to login with your sl account,  not sure where ever that went too, but somtimes the lab does things to guage how people react and I guess we dont react well enough for them to commit to it?

For a web based viewer on a low end PC you're either going to have a poor user experience or pay someone to provide the processing power your computer doesn't have. I'm fairly sure LL has kept an eye on streaming solutions and seen how well they do. Maybe one day SL will end up on nVidia's GeForce Now or Google Stadia. You're probably still gonna have to sign up for at least one service, probably two if that happens.

13 hours ago, subgay said:

in terms of widening the potential user base then I think that being able to access SL from a phone would be where I would go if I was the owner of SL. On the basis that people use phones for internet activity more than any other kind of internet device

so is not surprising that Linden have also chosen this path already

linden are working on a text-only iPhone app to begin with. Am pretty sure when this is accepted/working then Linden will look to provide rudimentary graphics for it. Then a Android phone app to follow most likely

so on what you are wanting in terms of making SL accessibility easier for the larger mass of people (potential customers) then I think Linden have heard you

• 2 months later...
On 11/25/2020 at 1:44 PM, Lyssa Greymoon said:

For a web based viewer on a low end PC you're either going to have a poor user experience or pay someone to provide the processing power your computer doesn't have. I'm fairly sure LL has kept an eye on streaming solutions and seen how well they do. Maybe one day SL will end up on nVidia's GeForce Now or Google Stadia. You're probably still gonna have to sign up for at least one service, probably two if that happens.

I already pay for Stadia (although it has a free tier). Would love to see SL on Stadia.

10 hours ago, Ital Galiazzo said:

I already pay for Stadia (although it has a free tier). Would love to see SL on Stadia.

SL uses AWS for the back haul, they would go with aws services before trying to port it to google services.   plus stadia from what I understand is another failing product, I read the steam forums and nobody is having good luck with it.

Amazon is getting into game streaming, via "Amazon Luna". Streaming SL should work fine. The problem is pricing. What you're doing is renting a gamer PC by the hour, with its video sent back to your device. It's a remote console setup; the server is running the normal viewer. So it's not a development-heavy problem.

It's expensive. Services charge by the hour, or allow you a limited number of hours per month. NVidia GEforce Now charges US$50 per year. That's the "Founders" rate. It will probably go up.

It's under-resourced; you can try to connect and be told it's busy. Paying users can stay logged in for up to 6 hours; then you go to the end of the line and wait for a slot to open up. Not clear how busy it is. There's a free tier, but it's always busy.

SL ought to be on some streaming service. Nice way to get introduced to SL, you can come in from low-end machines, and regular users can graduate to a real viewer and save money.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1146 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.