Deploy Plan for the Week of 2020-11-23

Maestro Linden

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1246 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

• Lindens

Second Life Server

No roll.

Second Life RCs

https://releasenotes.secondlife.com/simulator/2020-11-19.552571.html

Scheduled Tuesday 2020-11-24 07:00-10:30 PST

On Region Restarts

The uplifted Grid Poking Bot is running on Aditi, and we hope to move it to Agni as soon as we've run a last battery of tests on it. This doesn't help much for restarting regions this week, but as noted above we anticipate restarting almost all of them as part of this week's rolls anyway.

• Thanks 7

As in the last few weeks, RC regions probably mean all regions in the AWS cloud. Or? I think you should slowly adapt to it and adapt the server names to the current status quo. I know how difficult it is for some to part with old terms, you can tell that the term EEP-Setting is still a rarity and everyone continues to use the old word Windlight, but it is time to adapt to the current situation . Everything else just causes misunderstandings.

1 hour ago, Miller Thor said:

As in the last few weeks, RC regions probably mean all regions in the AWS cloud. Or? I think you should slowly adapt to it and adapt the server names to the current status quo. I know how difficult it is for some to part with old terms, you can tell that the term EEP-Setting is still a rarity and everyone continues to use the old word Windlight, but it is time to adapt to the current situation . Everything else just causes misunderstandings.

The data centre has changed. Why would that eliminate the need for release candidate regions? 

• Lindens
7 hours ago, Miller Thor said:

As others mentioned, nearly all regions are now running in the cloud - this is true for both SLS and RC channels.   We still have a few test regions running in the old datacenter, as mentioned in last week's update post:

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

A couple of points come to mind which need clarification.

1: the use of the label "SLS channel" Is this replacing Main channel? The Status messges look to use standard wording and this would need revising if the label changes.

2: in the last report by Inara Pey it looks as though next week is going to be different (see Simulator User Group Meeting November 24th the Week #49 section). I'm not sure if this change is short-term or long-term. The Main Channel rollouts are a big lump, but the pattern was predictable for event planning. 

Try not to surprise us too much, OK.

• Lindens

Next week we're making a one-time effort that might be somewhat unpredictable. This is a complex, multi-step process to make simulators cloud-aware and then cloud-first for various kinds of in-world objects. This will not be the New Normal. Remaining in the intermediate states would result in degraded performance for Residents. We want to avoid that so we are compressing our schedule as much as possible.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 4

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1246 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.