Seating height vs. avatar height

animats

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1236 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I've never had much trouble with seat height being way off before. But now I'm using the Roth open-source avatar. That works reasonably well. But it's taller than real life, so I used the height slider to make it shorter. (6'2", my RL height; we're not talking tinies here.) Then I had to adjust hover height, so feet are on the ground.

Now, everything I sit on that used to fit has the avatar about a quarter meter above the seat. This has me puzzled. If anything, I'd expect it to be too low or the same. Sit position is relative to the center of the bounding box, right?

Yeah... there are a bunch of things that can throw height off.

I think the best choice is to get nude and put your flat feet on, see where your avatar is with both height controls at zero, which is 50 inside the Appearance panel. If things are good, then your feet should be close to the floor, meaning within a decimeter or half-foot. If more than that, something is wrong.

You should also be able to sit with these settings and be about the same distance from an ideal sit or lay as your feet are from the floor. But, chairs and other furniture can be really messed up in regard to sit positions. So make sure you are using well made furniture for testing.

The old system shoe layers can also be a problem. We mostly use them for adjusting foot height now. So, try a flat foot one and none to see if that layer is the problem. If you adjust to compensate for a bad 'shoe settings layer' everything will be wacked. 

No matter how much effort you put into getting it "right" it will never be perfect. The height slider is going to get lots of use. But if you are adjusting up or down more than 0.5 something is messed up... the avatar, furniture, or ground/floor. That is not uncommon.

I find that if I use the hover slider to change the hover height of my avatar, it will ALWAYS screw up how I sit. So I keep hover at neutral and use footshapers to adjust hover. I have made my own set of footshapers with varying degrees of height to accommodate various shoe heights. I only use the hover slider to adjust height when I jump on a dance pad, then I quickly return it to neutral once I jump off the dance pad.

• Like 1

On 11/23/2020 at 10:09 AM, animats said:

Ah, I will try the second height slider.

Turned out to work, but it's kind of a pain. Use the hover height slider in the "Edit Appearance" dialog box to set sit position, then the hover height slider in the pie menu to set stand position.

Opening "Edit Appearance" forces your avatar into pose stand position, which is inconvenient for adjusting sit height, of course.

38 minutes ago, animats said:

Turned out to work, but it's kind of a pain. Use the hover height slider in the "Edit Appearance" dialog box to set sit position, then the hover height slider in the pie menu to set stand position.

Opening "Edit Appearance" forces your avatar into pose stand position, which is inconvenient for adjusting sit height, of course.

You can turn the posing off in preferences.  In Move and View, View...

Automatically pose avatar during (select one or more):
  • Build/Edit: When selected, the camera automatically moves to center on the object you're editing.
  • Appearance: (set by default) When selected, the camera automatically zooms in on your avatar when you enter Appearance mode. It also automatically focuses as you select different Body Parts and Clothes tabs. Deselect this to leave the camera where it is.
Edited by RowanMinx

On 11/26/2020 at 5:02 PM, animats said:

Yes. Even with Rowan's change to Appearance Editing it is a pain. 

Blushes' choice to use the foot/shoe shaper setting has some of the same problem. But once you get it right, that shaper is set for life. Changing foot shapers is easier than going into Appearance to change hieght.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1236 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.