Try This One Weird Trick

Prokofy Neva

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1244 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

So often you are told by merchants or friends that "their IMs cap". Or you MUST send a notecard. Or you MUST NOT send a notecard (and both say this for the same reason, that they think communications don't deliver and notecards are required; or that they, too, don't deliver).

The "my IMs cap" fallacy is one I constantly debunk because all you have to do is tie your account to a business email (or any email you wish -- make up onejust for SL if you don't want RL clutter) -- will collect your messages including things like re-deliveries or merchants' group notices into your email.

An excuse that you don't want people in SL to find out your email is legitimate, because when you answer people from offline, sometimes your email choses up in the header in the message back to them. So make an anonymous account on a free service like Gmail or Yahoo.

Sure, the system might lose something now and then but this is grossly exaggerated by people looking for an excuse why they didn't respond, or why they didn't pay their rent on time, or why they failed to go to a dance -- blame it on SL comms.

So many people are in denial about this that I find it's a pointless to argue but here's the thing:

There is a way to make all those messages and objects flood into your account when they seem to have "capped" and are missing. When you can see a "$0.0" interaction on your "My Account" yet nothing when you log in. When SL gives you a message "too many notifications".

Here it is:

1. Log in

2. Before you do anything, right click on any object. I prefer to pick an object I don't own, say, a nearby building or tree on a neighbour's lawn.

3. Block that object but keep the block window open.

4. All your IMs, notecards and LMs sent, objects sent will instantly indeed come flooding in. Try it and you'll see. If they don't, you may not have any.

5. Right click and unblock the object so that later it isn't a problem. For ex. if you block anything you expect to hear from or interact with.

My question for this section of the forums is: why?

Why would blocking an inworld object cause other objects and notices to appear that were "capped".

There's some interconnected mechanism here.

Edited by Prokofy Neva

On 11/21/2020 at 2:29 PM, NiranV Dean said:

And this right here is the reason i've written into my profile what i did. 

image.png.d8de9e8f84a61a97c556e6885f6edc65.png

You are to be admired for writing that and also enabling offline emails. 

I realize this is a cultural crutch that people need to step the deluge of communications in SL and that's ok but it is a white lie.

What I wish is that someone who has those kinds of deluges as I do, someone with lots of customers or lots of friends or both, would try my one weird trick and also explain why it works. I discovered it by accident.

Perhaps you could test it.

Don't go and look at your emails; log on, and try this weird trick, and report back. Then check your emails.

On 11/26/2020 at 5:39 PM, Prokofy Neva said:

You are to be admired for writing that and also enabling offline emails. 

I realize this is a cultural crutch that people need to step the deluge of communications in SL and that's ok but it is a white lie.

What I wish is that someone who has those kinds of deluges as I do, someone with lots of customers or lots of friends or both, would try my one weird trick and also explain why it works. I discovered it by accident.

Perhaps you could test it.

Don't go and look at your emails; log on, and try this weird trick, and report back. Then check your emails.

I've been using offline mails since many years. I'd miss out a lot of random offline IMs otherwise, i often get mails of IMs i don't even receive inworld. Offline IM's are incredibly unreliable even without the 25 IM limit.

There's nothing to admire either. It's common sense that apparently quite some big names aren't capable of using.

If i'd offer a product (and i do) i'd try to find the best possible way to allow people to contact me without me having to worry to lose the conversation or be on a strict time limit. There are only only very few reasons someone would not do this. That's either because they don't give a crap or they are stupid/ignorant which goes back into -> they don't give a crap. Ultimately you'll always end up with: they don't give a crap. Stupidity and ignorance can be cured with knowledge but to acquire knowledge you'd have to want it, not wanting said knowledge makes you ignorant and thus leaves you stupid.

Edited by NiranV Dean
  • Like 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1244 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.