Covenant question... Covering up land terrain

Milk Pixelmaid

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1241 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

26 minutes ago, Milk Pixelmaid said:

Awesome, thank you!

is it actually enforced?

My observation is that this sort of thing is low priority. I won't say it's not enforced, but I have seen some examples I've reported stay in place for a long time.

The easiest and fastest solution, if you use a viewer that can do it, is to just derender. I do that all the time with the silly flat green squares that inevitably show up in any beach area. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Milk Pixelmaid said:

Is it against LH covenant to cover up land terrain entirely, not a little patch, with something opposite of the existing terrain?

Example, snow on the beach. I’m seeing this pop up ALL over Bellisseria 

One note on this -- while there is a covenant rule regarding the seasonal items, there is nothing in the covenant to prevent someone from putting down a solid grass prim over an entirely sandy lot.  It will look totally out of character for the area, but it is allowed.

And as Syliva mentioned, the enforcement of such does seem to be very low priority.  From my experience, the holiday stuff will get enforced slightly more than the seasonal stuff, but there are definitely plenty of plots out there that have been snow covered since Nov of last year, even though many have been reported multiple times.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Indy Melody said:

Why would anyone want to violate the Bellisseria covenant decorating guidelines and risk losing the right to have a LL Home just to test if the guidelines will be enforced?

They don't risk anything. They only get it returned.

I have not heard about anyone losing their LL home for it.

6 minutes ago, Milk Pixelmaid said:

I don’t know if they lose the home? Although there should be 3 strikes and you’re revoked for repeated offenders. 

Perhaps. But it is maybe too harsh.

No one should stop reporting it because it is low priority. It is not something that takes time to investigate. Maybe things who was not removed, was sent in when there was more serious things going on. We can't know that.

6 minutes ago, Marianne Little said:
17 minutes ago, Indy Melody said:

Why would anyone want to violate the Bellisseria covenant decorating guidelines and risk losing the right to have a LL Home just to test if the guidelines will be enforced?

They don't risk anything. They only get it returned.

I have not heard about anyone losing their LL home for it.

15 minutes ago, Milk Pixelmaid said:

I don’t know if they lose the home? Although there should be 3 strikes and you’re revoked for repeated offenders. 

Perhaps. But it is maybe too harsh.

While I don't think anyone has yet lost their ability to have a Linden Home, it has been stated by LL that repeated covenant violations could result in such.

4 minutes ago, LittleMe Jewell said:

One note on this -- while there is a covenant rule regarding the seasonal items, there is nothing in the covenant to prevent someone from putting down a solid grass prim over an entirely sandy lot.  It will look totally out of character for the area, but it is allowed.

And as Syliva mentioned, the enforcement of such does seem to be very low priority.  From my experience, the holiday stuff will get enforced slightly more than the seasonal stuff, but there are definitely plenty of plots out there that have been snow covered since Nov of last year, even though many have been reported multiple times.

The grass lawn is difficult. It is possible to have soil and mulch added to make a lawn inside your fence, as long as you water it. It is not totally out of what's considered a "natural element". But some of the ideas people have of what's a natural green colored lawn is awful. Perhaps they have a bad graphics card.

But I understand Lindens won't go there and return the fake lawns, ugly as they can be... it is micromanagement.

• Like 2

• Moles

We try to to be heavy handed in enforcement of the covenant, but please... don't push things just to see where the line is. This biggest thing everyone overlooks in the covenant is looking to follow the letter of the law and ignoring the spirit. That spirit is embodied in one phrase in the covenant "out of consideration for your neighbors." I always encourage everyone in Bellisseria to think less about what they can or cannot do and more about what they should or should not do keeping in that spirit. If the question you are asking is "Yeah, it says I can't... but is that really enforced?" you are probably not thinking in the spirit of the covenant. 

When we came up with the covenant for Bellisseria we really looked at the most common complaints about mainland and if we could create an environment as an alternative that mitigated many of those. Things like zero warning security orbs, ban lines, visible boxes floating in the sky, disturbingly chaotic or even outright ugly or obnoxious builds souring the experience of everyone around them... these were all things we wanted not to have happen in Belli. 

So, to answer the OP's question... If we're not saying specifically that you cannot do something, don't take it as assumed you can or should to whatever level you desire. If you do, try to make it look nice and within theme out of consideration for your neighbors. Also keep in mind beauty is in the eye of the beholder. If it is eyesore your neighbors could complain and if they do, one of us Moles or the Lindens might be asked to look and see if it needs to be returned to you. None of us really want that. 

• Like 11
  • Thanks 17

3 hours ago, Milk Pixelmaid said:

Is it against LH covenant to cover up land terrain entirely, not a little patch, with something opposite of the existing terrain?

Example, snow on the beach. I’m seeing this pop up ALL over Bellisseria 

Read the covenant:
"  *Residents may decorate the interior of their house to their liking. The exterior should always remain in theme out of consideration for your neighbors."

Covering the ground with something opposite of the original terrain means that you are not keeping in theme.

Edited by Fritigern Gothly
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Abnor Mole said:

So, to answer the OP's question... If we're not saying specifically that you cannot do something, don't take it as assumed you can or should to whatever level you desire. If you do, try to make it look nice and within theme out of consideration for your neighbors.

Fwiw, I took the OP's question to be more "Can I AR this snow on the beach, it's so weird and out of theme", than "Can I put snow on the beach".

I think Milk may be more in the position of a neighbor who doesn't want to have to derender the immediate world, than an errant decorator :)

• Like 2

45 minutes ago, Fritigern Gothly said:

Read the covenant:
"  *Residents may decorate the interior of their house to their liking. The exterior should always remain in theme out of consideration for your neighbors."

Covering the ground with something opposite of the original terrain means that you are not keeping in theme.

While that might be the wording of the covenant, personal experience shows that they sometimes deal with a plot covered in snow in the middle of the summer, but there are still tons of sandy beach plots and rocky mountain tops covered with solid grass-like prims despite any ARs stating they are 'out of theme'.

• Like 4

3 hours ago, Abnor Mole said:

We try to to be heavy handed in enforcement of the covenant, but please... don't push things just to see where the line is. This biggest thing everyone overlooks in the covenant is looking to follow the letter of the law and ignoring the spirit. That spirit is embodied in one phrase in the covenant "out of consideration for your neighbors." I always encourage everyone in Bellisseria to think less about what they can or cannot do and more about what they should or should not do keeping in that spirit. If the question you are asking is "Yeah, it says I can't... but is that really enforced?" you are probably not thinking in the spirit of the covenant. 

When we came up with the covenant for Bellisseria we really looked at the most common complaints about mainland and if we could create an environment as an alternative that mitigated many of those. Things like zero warning security orbs, ban lines, visible boxes floating in the sky, disturbingly chaotic or even outright ugly or obnoxious builds souring the experience of everyone around them... these were all things we wanted not to have happen in Belli. 

So, to answer the OP's question... If we're not saying specifically that you cannot do something, don't take it as assumed you can or should to whatever level you desire. If you do, try to make it look nice and within theme out of consideration for your neighbors. Also keep in mind beauty is in the eye of the beholder. If it is eyesore your neighbors could complain and if they do, one of us Moles or the Lindens might be asked to look and see if it needs to be returned to you. None of us really want that. 

:)

• Like 1

17 hours ago, LittleMe Jewell said:

While that might be the wording of the covenant, personal experience shows that they sometimes deal with a plot covered in snow in the middle of the summer, but there are still tons of sandy beach plots and rocky mountain tops covered with solid grass-like prims despite any ARs stating they are 'out of theme'.

something like this in snow version? ... tastefully dusted with snow :)  with subtile transition to the surrounding and neighbours.

46a88c7f8a4fc3fdecf3b5066cae47f6.jpg

• Haha 2
  • Sad 11

The majority of abuse reports I've sent (people encroaching on Linden Land, offensive flags, over-enthusiastic orbs) have been acted upon. I generally don't report for out-of-season decor because the owner might not have been able to get inworld to take it down, but snow on the beach? in November? if that was next door to an otherwise perfect plot I'd report it.

1 hour ago, usagihara said:

but snow on the beach? in November? if that was next door to an otherwise perfect plot I'd report it.

You will often see snowy beaches in the winter, sometimes as early as November, along the US northeastern coastline.  

Now, snow on the beach in July would be a different story.

Edited by LittleMe Jewell

1 hour ago, Littlemouse Topaz said:

I want this. I'd love to cover my roof with snow.

They have definitely updated the Content packs to contain roof snow caps and lights for the Traditionals, Houseboats, and Campers.  I think they did the same for the Victorians.  If they haven't done so for the Log Homes, then hopefully that will happen soon.

Edited by LittleMe Jewell

4 minutes ago, LittleMe Jewell said:

They have definitely updated the Content packs to contain roof snow caps and lights for the Traditionals, Houseboats, and Campers.  I think they did the same for the Victorians.  If they haven't done so for the Log Homes, then hopefully that will happen soon.

Hmm. I did not know. I have to check my mailbox. I did get the update last year.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1241 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.