FIX GROUP CHAT ->> LINDEN RESEARCH INC.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1238 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

22 minutes ago, Alwin Alcott said:

this statement is not true, groups issues are as old as they are around. It néver worked without hick ups since they were used for mass communication.

I dare to disagree; I he been part of very large groups, like Lcc and others; well over 3000 members, since i joined in circa 2010.

We where almost always being able to chat, even after region crossings.

Nowadays that is impossible.

And the fact that more users are saying that they are having issues nowadays then before also is proof that groups , while perhaps never being able to work as expected; if not by the lab; at least by the ones that created them in world, had a decreased performance since the move to the cloud.

Linden lab acknowledges that stating that is a process that will only be fixed after a lot more services migrate to the cloud.

So we must have hope that in the future we can be able to use groups to chat as we where used to, without the need of a external program to do so.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Solar Legion said:

Groups were never intended for the uses they see now.

Neither were email, or SMS messages, or Twitter, or Facebook. Your users tell you what your product is for by how they use it. That's what success looks like. Vendors must accept that, or go under.

It's embarrassing that Second Life, a social system, can't do either text chat or voice chat reliably.

(I once went to a talk at Stanford by one of  the architects of Facebook. The original concept was that it was for college students, and it was expected that most traffic would be within a single college, with little national or worldwide traffic. The first version of the system assumed that traffic pattern and was based on regional servers. When it turned out they had far more long-distance traffic than expected, they had to do a total redesign. It worked.)

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

47 minutes ago, animats said:

Neither were email, or SMS messages, or Twitter, or Facebook. Your users tell you what your product is for by how they use it. That's what success looks like. Vendors must accept that, or go under.

It's embarrassing that Second Life, a social system, can't do either text chat or voice chat reliably.

(I once went to a talk at Stanford by one of  the architects of Facebook. The original concept was that it was for college students, and it was expected that most traffic would be within a single college, with little national or worldwide traffic. The first version of the system assumed that traffic pattern and was based on regional servers. When it turned out they had far more long-distance traffic than expected, they had to do a total redesign. It worked.)

My text chat works perfectly fine and always has. I don't voice chat so couldn't care less about that.  I very rarely use group chat and only If I have an urgent question. Otherwise, I notecard the owner or CSR as directed.  Most group chats I have followed are usually full of the same people talking about stuff that has nothing whatsoever to do with the group.  It's annoying and perhaps if group chat wasn't being bogged down with randomness, those who actually NEED to ask a question or get help would be able to.

Personally, I think it should be called something besides group chat.  Group Q &A?   It's no wonder some groups end up shutting it off entirely.

• Like 1

Oy .... It is as if some do not understand the information being imparted and believe that the system can just be changed/fixed on a whim - laboring under the mistaken belief that what they want altered/"fixed" is somehow not tied up in other functions in a manner that must be very carefully approached ...

Oh wait ...

• Like 3

The correct solution then is to develop a new and improved inworld group chat facility that will scale and getting rid of the fragile unfixable group chat.  Expecting users to go off-world and to make other accounts to achieve this would be the wrong direction in my opinion.  In the meantime if LL can restore the fragile state of group to when it worked much better, say 4 months ago, then it would be very much appreciated by a lot of people.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1238 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.