Dimensions in Pixels for Profile Pics

Cerebrogasm

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1249 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

4 answers to this question

32 minutes ago, Cerebrogasm said:

Hi Everyone - I'm sure this has been asked but I can't find the answer - can you tell me the correct size in pixels - height and width - for Profile Pics (1st and 2nd Life boxes) that won't require adjustment by any viewers (aspect ration will be correct) ? 

Much thanks!

Texture sizes

Textures should be as small as possible — texture size is highly context-sensitive so it takes experienced artistic judgment. For example, if you're texture-mapping a tiny pebble, its detail can be negligible compared to a giant tree in the same scene. For general use, 512x512 is a fair balance.

The maximum resolution for an uploaded texture is 1024x1024 pixels; if you upload a bigger image, it is scaled down to 1024x1024 pixels. Even if you have a fast Internet connection and a top-end graphics card, your computer can only display a finite amount of texture data

ETA. I normally crop profile pics to 1024x1024

Edited by RowanMinx

Profile picture display doesn't have universal dimensions.

Web profiles (my.secondlife.com, official viewer) have 1:1 aspect ratio.

Classic profiles (old-style interface, Firestorm, etc) are displayed in 218x155 resolution, or about 44:31 aspect ratio.

You have to pick which one you don't want to have distortion. You can't have both.

If you want classic profiles to look "correct," you have to create a texture with that aspect ratio, then stretch it up to the nearest power of 2. For example, you would create a 218x155 pixel image, then stretch it to 256x256 and use that as your profile image. It will be squished back down to the correct size and it will look correct.

Edited by Wulfie Reanimator
  • Like 2

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1249 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.