Hi, I'm really confused about land impact. Is land impact the number of prims?

PlayboiRedd

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1238 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

2 hours ago, Wulfie Reanimator said:

To make it really simple:

• 1 prim = 1 land impact
  • 1 mesh = 1 land impact or more

Find out how much land impact your skybox needs. You can go to a sandbox and rez it, then select the skybox to see. Or you can read the product description.

Per the part I bolded - Only sort of.  If I create a simple item out of 10 prims, it will show as 10 LI.  However, if I then set one of those prims to Convex Hull (which forces it to use the new accounting method), the LI will drop to 5.   If it is not so simple of an object, then changing one of the prims to Convex Hull, might cause the LI to skyrocket.

@PlayboiRedd -- What Wulfie said is basically it, though it can get complicated.  Most items sold these days will specify how many LI they use, even though people will still use the term 'prims' -- and the land will always show LI.

1 hour ago, LittleMe Jewell said:

Per the part I bolded - Only sort of.  If I create a simple item out of 10 prims, it will show as 10 LI.  However, if I then set one of those prims to Convex Hull (which forces it to use the new accounting method), the LI will drop to 5.   If it is not so simple of an object, then changing one of the prims to Convex Hull, might cause the LI to skyrocket.

I know that you know that I know that. KISS

4 minutes ago, Wulfie Reanimator said:
1 hour ago, LittleMe Jewell said:

I know that you know that I know that. KISS

Yes - the comment was more for other readers of the thread that might not know it.

28 minutes ago, Fritigern Gothly said:

Great job keeping the answer simple and unconfusing, you all!

The answer is NOT simple and unconfusing.  

Not giving a complete answer, just for the sake of simplicity, is not the best way to educate people.  After a simple answer is given, I see nothing wrong in expanding on it with the complexities.  Folks can read or ignore whatever they want.

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...
On 11/17/2020 at 10:30 PM, PlayboiRedd said:

Is land impact the number of prims? I'm trying to rent land and but a skybox but i want to make sure i don't waste all my prims on the skybox itself.

While there is always someone to obfuscate and complicate questions like this due to their technical background, the short answer, from someone with vast experience of this in the field, is NO.

Most of the time -- really nearly all the time! -- the number of prims in the object is the same as the land impact, even when it is mesh, even when it is scripted. And you can prove that by taking 100 items and putting them out 100 times on the same parcel and reading the "about land" menu -- which is something I've done thousands of times obviously in a rentals company.

Yes, "twisted prims" -- prims that have been torqued to change some aspect of them -- which have then been linked to mesh, can suddenly balloon up and eat up all the prims in a sim. But that's a rare occurrence. It's a good idea not to link mesh and old-school non-mesh prims or sculpties casually as a rule, but in fact this can be done (try in a sandbox first). 

Certain items -- often those that are linked -- seem to appear to be one thing, and you may have also put them on "convex hull" which is a way of reducing a prim count on SOME items (it doesn't always work - with sculpties it can't work) -- but then the customer gets them or some other recipient and suddenly they are many more prims. You may try re-convexing them but they keep bouncing around as to their number. This is not common but does happen and not only to me.

Tenants will swear that they have only put out X prims, but you can show them the menu on the mainland which shows item owners with the number of prims next to them. And in some cases what has happened is they have rezzed a house twice and not deleted a previous copy, or a piece of jewelry has fallen that could be hundreds of prims, or something is buried under ground. But in rare cases it can be a mystery and everything has to be returned and they start over.

In theory, prims are no longer supposed to return when that happens, and yet they do occasionally, in a recurring bug I've seen for years.

It is unlikely that a skybox you see as X prims, or is described by its maker as X prims from the old days, is going to be different in "land impact".

Of course, sometimes the cumulative effect of various items, especially if linked or scripted, can be slightly different. But then it is off by a number of 2 or 4, not 50 or 100.

I'd like to think that all creators who specify "LI" on an object have actually looked at it on land and how it impacts, but that isn't always the case. But even if they haven't, it isn't going to be so far off as to make it something you obsess about.

To come to the more practical side of your question, indeed a skybox can take all the prims of a small lot. Some of them are crazily high prim if they try to give them built-in features like pools especially. So shop around for those creators known for lower prim skyboxes, and test them and look at them in their store first before buying.

Edited by Prokofy Neva

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1238 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.