52 Weeks of Color Revisited

Chic Aeon

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 882 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I think if I were to do this over -- which I am not LOL, I would purposefully pick colors that were more different from one another. I DO ADMIT that I messed up at the end and added "cream" or something when we had already had too many whites. Bad Chic.   

But, if you look closely you can differentiate between the color swatches and I guess that is a good lesson for us all.  Pretty soon we are going to have one of the "cream" colors so if you really want to challenge yourself I suggest looking at those color swatches really carefully and figure out which of your outfits (dress, sweater whatever) belong as THAT color.  If you don't want to challenge yourself just pick one and use the other "next time beige comes around - LOL.   

I guess Pantone just needs to make up color names so that it has something to sell. I mean while there are in theory almost unlimited colors (if you have a color spectrometer or whatever -- the EYE can only do so much telling the differences.  I DID learn however that some colors I thought of as being in one color family where actually in another -- so sienna for instance and there were some others.  That was fun and useful.

For those of you wondering where BLUE IS -- and I was so wondering.  It never actually showed up by chance (any blue) for about half of the colors. I was getting very frustrated with the repeat colors and no blue etc so I changed the way I chose the colors -- still a system but not picking a number in my head.   So blue will appear but it will be awhile :D.   

I really did have a fun time doing all this though and it is also enjoyable to post each week and revisit my adventures.     

• Like 2

I thought this was an excellent example of the variety of colors available to us and how even with a plan some seem very similar to others.

image.thumb.png.3594640d70e3d7701a76f8f425fb4e88.png

This is 40 colors.  Missing right away (wink) is "banana" and the warm beige colors and olive. Sure you guys will spot more. But there are some really close colors even here.   

• Like 2

Week 15 brings us to a color that is both easy and hard, a color that you COULD say isn't a color at all.  It is in the "white" family and if you look at the big chart I made of all the colors you can see that there are a LOT of similar colors in that category. 

So -- easy and --- hard at the same time. The trick will be if you are so inclined to accept the challenge -- to decide what is "silver" and what is "pearled ivory" (???) and what is "cream" and where the heck "white" ends and becomes unwhite :D.

And of course, what is ECRU:

1854161622_week15ecru.jpg.25b658c69f90c0823d60cefd34abfe6d.jpg 

And here is my take on the subject. 

1162846970_ecrustyling.thumb.jpg.2739369c092a2a9ebaf5def121e755b4.jpg

Here is that chart one more time. 

color+palette+2020.jpg

• Like 3

5 hours ago, Marianne Little said:

Okay, so I have "white" ready to use. I have been sure of that in months.

The other three is not easy, because I still get lots of different alternatives up when I search. Can we say Ecru is a lighter version of cream and Pearled Ivory more pink than Ecru?

White colors.jpg

OK.  To ME Pearled Ivory and Ecru as so very close in color I can barely see a difference in my chart. I went back to Google and Pantone and got some bigger swatches and pearled ivory is  slightly LIGHTER than ecru.  I think Ecru is actually darker than cream. 

A very good trick when gauging VALUE of a color (light and dark) is to squint your eyes until they are almost closed. This apparently cuts out some of the "color" part of vision.  The OTHER thing you could do would be to take your chart into you graphics program and cut out all the color  (in my program that is called VIBRANCY but could be called "saturation" or something different depending on the software. 

image.png.ca9059b43e4c16d066e1157168f841cc.png

But honestly that pearled ivory was my choice and a VERY BAD ONE. So let's forget about pearled ivory altogether. It was the next to the last color week anyway, and maybe YOU guys can suggest a color when we get there --- if anyone is left LOL.  

In YOUR chart yes, I think pearled ivory is a bit more pink -- but for ME if we cut pearled ivory out of the mix, CREAM is much more towards YELLOW -- on it way to banana but banana is definitely "light yellow" to me and not a white.   So yes, ecru does have more RED in it.  

To be fair some of our perceptions of color here are going to be determined by our computers and monitors and color settings.  When I was doing print work I had my monitor calibrated a certain way so we "in theory" matched the standard, but still it wasn't an exact match.  Nowadays I just go with the default mostly :D.  

SO --- LET'S ALL FORGET ABOUT MY BAAAAAD CHOICE OF PEARLED IVORY. 

I literally can't see a difference between Ecru and Pearled Ivory, so I loaded @Marianne Little's swatches into Photoshop, and now I see why.

419811870_pearledivoryorecru.png.9d6b26ba82f92fb50de9106da36f896e.png

Pearled Ivory is R 241, G 228, B 212 and Ecru is R 242, G 229, B 210 (on a scale of 0 to 255).

That's a difference of 0.39% on Red and Green, and a difference of 0.78% on Blue, with Ecru being very slightly yellower than Pearled Ivory. But with that small of a difference, they are functionally identical.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

I miss "nude". That is a color, but is it one color, or depending upon your skintone? I have lots of clothes named "nude". Maybe nude was one color in the past, when Caucasian was the only ones in fashion that mattered. I was in a weekend sale, and they had 6-7 versions of nude, for shoes.

100% agree that colors look different on different computers. I made the 4 colors collage on my stationary. And now, when I move to my laptop, they have changed. I saw a difference between them on my stationary, now all 4 look the same.

I think I put together an outfit, close my eyes and throw darts at samples of ecru and pearled ivory, to pick the color.

Edited by Marianne Little
changed a few words to clarify
  • Like 2

11 hours ago, Marianne Little said:

I miss "nude". That is a color, but is it one color, or depending upon your skintone? I have lots of clothes named "nude". Maybe nude was one color in the past, when Caucasian was the only ones in fashion that mattered. I was in a weekend sale, and they had 6-7 versions of nude, for shoes.

100% agree that colors look different on different computers. I made the 4 colors collage on my stationary. And now, when I move to my laptop, they have changed. I saw a difference between them on my stationary, now all 4 look the same.

I think I put together an outfit, close my eyes and throw darts at samples of ecru and pearled ivory, to pick the color.

My nude is definitely different than your nude.  😄

Edited by Rowan Amore
  • Haha 3

On 2/24/2021 at 9:00 AM, Karly Kiyori said:

I literally can't see a difference between Ecru and Pearled Ivory, so I loaded @Marianne Little's swatches into Photoshop, and now I see why.

419811870_pearledivoryorecru.png.9d6b26ba82f92fb50de9106da36f896e.png

Pearled Ivory is R 241, G 228, B 212 and Ecru is R 242, G 229, B 210 (on a scale of 0 to 255).

That's a difference of 0.39% on Red and Green, and a difference of 0.78% on Blue, with Ecru being very slightly yellower than Pearled Ivory. But with that small of a difference, they are functionally identical.

I would call them both off-white or light beige. That's what they look like to me. 

I took the color chart posted upthead and rearranged it in a way that makes more sense to me.

52colorchallenge.thumb.png.02ba0dad14bbdd75a8154f1091cc054c.png

Going through my inventory, it looks like I don't have much color variety in my closet. 😅

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

6 hours ago, Eddy Vortex said:

I would call them both off-white or light beige. That's what they look like to me. 

I took the color chart posted upthead and rearranged it in a way that makes more sense to me.

52colorchallenge.thumb.png.02ba0dad14bbdd75a8154f1091cc054c.png

Going through my inventory, it looks like I don't have much color variety in my closet. 😅

My hero 😍 that new arrangement makes it so easy to see. I can dig through my inventory and find super colors, but they are not in the challenge. Like deep fir green. Let us see in another ten years, if it is a SL still, and we're here. I can suggest that color to be added. I will not gain weight in a virtual world. 😂

• Haha 3

We are moving from pastel neutral to OMG bright bright bright this week.   I actually love this color when I am in the mood for something "happy".  I had a sweater long ago that I wore a lot. Gone now of course but not forgotten.  

Here is you color swatch:  2104715266_goldenrodweek16.jpg.307d72505c981b1c387e8f7d35945e03.jpg

And here is my take on Goldenrod.

1434758932_goldenrodstyling.thumb.jpg.45c596d04130c969c15960a24c4797c6.jpg

• Like 5

I have had this dress ready for goldenrod for a while. But the styling took some time. I had to see if it fitted better for some of the other colors close to it. The gang of green colors that it is a ton of, will be challenging. They go to yellow all of them. It would be easier with one or two colder greens.

52 Weeks of Color Revisited

• Like 4

In RETROSPECT I agree that starting with more standard colors rather than the original challenge colors would have at least been more scientific. I still have no idea how colors were picked a decade ago.  And there certainly are some "holes" in the color pallet when looked at all together.  

I am not sure if these will help or make things more confusing, but I looked up some color wheels.  There are OH SO MANY versions of color wheels, some not having to do with paint type colors which is what we used in art classes.  But for those of you who never HAD art classes here is a quick look.

1470206449_simplecolorwheel.jpg.47f7994687652fc08d6e74f150ef4367.jpg

This is the simple (perhaps "American" I am not sure) color wheel.   Primary colors are RED -- YELLOW - BLUE.  

Mixing the primary colors with each other gives you the SECONDARY colors of ORANGE (red and yellow), GREEN (yellow and blue) and VIOLET (blue and red).

Mixing the secondary colors together gives you the INTERMEDIATRY (sometimes called tertiary) colors of RED-ORANGE, YELLOW-ORANGE,  YELLOW-GREEN, BLUE-GREEN, BLUE-VIOLET, and RED-VIOLET 

From there color will get lighter or darker if adding black or white.    And of course there are tons of colors when you start mixing in other ways.

469715419_colorwheeltints.jpg.35dae68941f75499dc9e3baa9d75aa36.jpg

I definitely agree that there are large pockets of one hue in the list.  But even looking at this scientific explanation of how colors work shows us that some color (like our light yellow - beiges) tend to blend together in our eyes.  So perhaps even if I would have picked from THIS wheel in a very structured way, it would have SEEMED like some colors were too close to one another.   All very interesting. 

1394767745_colorwheel.jpg.4047206f6e7218d40a18ac34950c9f23.jpg

And just to confuse you more -- or maybe help, who knows ----- this is the PRINT color wheel using Cyan, Magenta and Yellow instead of our finger paint colors of red, blue and yellow

This print color wheel seems closer to the Pantone versions of color which make since as that seems to be the business that Pantone is in :D.  

On with the day. May you all have fun with goldenrod. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I guess that the original colors came from her inventory, she who originally started it. She liked certain colors. That's why it is so many in a group, and so few in others.

Finding colors for outfits is harder when all clothes are no modify. I have always thought that buying only white and tint it in all different colors, gives ugly results. That's one of the arguments from designers, that people will only buy white.

Hmpf, sounds like a thin excuse. I have bought some fatpacks from big brands, usually when they have a special sale or give out giftcards. And they have a lot of colors. But mostly useless if I want to match it to other things in my wardrobe. Or a special color like in this challenge. Oh, how wonderful it would be, to tint just a little bit, so the color is right.

• Like 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 882 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.