52 Weeks of Color Revisited

Chic Aeon

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 889 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

It's time for a NEW color!   This one was a surprise for me; I thought I new what this color looked like but I was wrong.  So smarter now. Happily I found both an old and a new item to put together for this styling AND I have shoes showing.  Honestly it isn't that I don't want to bother with shoes; it is that I like my shots close up to show the details. This one had some pretty scenery though, so I opted for a "with shoes" shot. Don't expect too many of those LOL.

Our color this week takes us back into neutral territory -- sort of.  It is a neutral with more color than many.  Let's hear it for UMBER.

72520266_umberweek8maybe.jpg.e0e744627a69031236c84735a9e33c52.jpg

Basically this is "rust" with a more exotic name. LOL.

And here is my take on the color for Week 9.  Have fun!!!!

687418050_umberbyfenceweek9.thumb.jpg.71372dbb2ada3601620efeb69df20716.jpg

• Like 7

4 hours ago, Chic Aeon said:

It's time for a NEW color!   This one was a surprise for me; I thought I new what this color looked like but I was wrong.  So smarter now. Happily I found both an old and a new item to put together for this styling AND I have shoes showing.  Honestly it isn't that I don't want to bother with shoes; it is that I like my shots close up to show the details. This one had some pretty scenery though, so I opted for a "with shoes" shot. Don't expect too many of those LOL.

Our color this week takes us back into neutral territory -- sort of.  It is a neutral with more color than many.  Let's hear it for UMBER.

72520266_umberweek8maybe.jpg.e0e744627a69031236c84735a9e33c52.jpg

Basically this is "rust" with a more exotic name. LOL.

And here is my take on the color for Week 9.  Have fun!!!!

687418050_umberbyfenceweek9.thumb.jpg.71372dbb2ada3601620efeb69df20716.jpg

What Hex code or LSL are you using? I have used RGB so far, and the colors are different. And for umber, they are very different.

I am building a cube inworld and tinting it. I am using Hex 944a1f now.

I have used RGB always, but it is almost useless for the color challenge. I need to use more Hex.

Edited by Marianne Little
typos

2 hours ago, Marianne Little said:

What Hex code or LSL are you using? I have used RGB so far, and the colors are different. And for umber, they are very different.

I am building a cube inworld and tinting it. I am using Hex 944a1f now.

I have used RGB always, but it is almost useless for the color challenge. I need to use more Hex.

I just took a snip of the most prevalent example when I type in "UMBER Pantone".  Some colors have TONS of different examples so it is very hard.  And sometimes the colors you get from searching aren't really the color you are searching for.   So that was "my" Umber based on that example I found. I can't remember if this was a color that had many "definitions". Been awhile now for me. I did this in November.    You can always post a snippet of the color you were aiming for.   Sometimes the swatches have numbers on them but most of the times not. 

And as an aside --- I had no idea that people BOUGHT these color swatches.   They are $23.70 US per swatch on Ebay.  I guess it is decorators that buy them.  That must be an expansive business to be IRL> .

If I type in "hex code Umber Pantone"   I get this -- which is lighter than the color I pasted in.

(I went back and checked on this and while I searched for UMBER, more reading told me that Google found "RAW UBER" which is a completely different color.  So I am deleting the  color swatches I put in as that will just be more confusing. I also deleted some text that was going to mess folks up too.  Sorry, 

So if you want to use one of those LOL that's cool too. This isn't a college project where you will get graded :D.   Just in theory fun. 

Umber is apparently more "red" than "taupe".  And believe me there are some other colors that are WAY close to each other as we go on. So just pick an umber and go forth.   Mine is just showing what I used.    I DO always pick a color swatch before looking for an outfit though ^^ -- otherwise it wouldn't be much of a challenge. 

THIS looks like the one I used -- or very close to it. 

image.png.d37805ba0ae0d442f58b40836d147c3f.png

Good luck!!!   

Edited by Chic Aeon
spelling - deletions - clarifications
  • Like 1

Here are the umber I used. If someone asked me to pick umber before, I would not have picked this, that is for sure.

Anyways I was so happy with the poses and everything that I let it pass as umber.

Edit: I took out the 1. image because the more I look at it, the more orange it looks. I am tinting the cardigan much darker and dirtier and see if it is better.

Second try, less orange:

Maybe a bit dark, but better than orange.

Phew. But it is good practice. Note to myself: Look at the color sample in the light I will use.

52 Weeks of Color Challenge - Revisited

sepia_002.jpg

Edited by Marianne Little
Changed image
  • Like 7

4 hours ago, Marianne Little said:

hew. But it is good practice. Note to myself: Look at the color sample in the light I will use.

Those are super cute boots!  And yes, lighting can make a huge difference. We can see that in RL also.  I usually pick out my clothing in a Windlight I mad called Neutral2 which has no shadows or contrast.  But how things look when I finally take the photo can be quite different.   I am not worrying bout that much.   

I think --- for ME anyway -- I think of UMBER as a Crayola color called "Raw Umber" (which was what Google showed me and got me confused on before I deleted a bunch in my post last night).    Cerise is another color that was apparently unclear in my mind and even INDEGO --- so we are learning some things along the way.  But again we are having to agree that Pantone knows all :D.   And in practice for most of us there are many varieties of each hue even if they fall under one name.  

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, Layna Chrome said:

Hey everyone. I just found this thread, so sorry for chiming in late. Decided to give this one a whirl since it's not in my usual color choices. 😄 Looking forward to joining in more of these!

Chiming in late is perfectly fine. Glad to have you and that looks like "umber" to me :D.  And yes, some colors will be a personality stretch for sure, but that's good for us too.   Feel free to catch up with past colors or go from here.  A link to  all the colors that will be coming our way is a few up from this post if you want to see all the hues past and present. These from 2010 don't include color swatches, just names but gives you an idea. 

OK that post was WAY further back than I remembered so here is a link :D. 

https://community.secondlife.com/forums/topic/464409-52-weeks-of-color-revisited/?do=findComment&comment=2242445

Edited by Chic Aeon
adding info
  • Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, Chic Aeon said:

Chiming in late is perfectly fine. Glad to have you and that looks like "umber" to me :D.  And yes, some colors will be a personality stretch for sure, but that's good for us too.   Feel free to catch up with past colors or go from here.  A link to  all the colors that will be coming our way is a few up from this post if you want to see all the hues past and present. These from 2010 don't include color swatches, just names but gives you an idea. 

OK that post was WAY further back than I remembered so here is a link :D. 

https://community.secondlife.com/forums/topic/464409-52-weeks-of-color-revisited/?do=findComment&comment=2242445

I will catch up AND keep going.  Thank you for the challenge!

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, Karly Kiyori said:

Umber (I think)

I think that could be umber OR mahogany depending on the Windlight setting LOL.  We have SUCH POWER in our virtual world. Looks really good on you whatever hue it is. We aren't that picky here :D.

MAYBE you got both in one shot?   Tricky!!!!!  LOL

394897237_mahoganyswatch.jpg.c97309118d69d98e2d111172da94913c.jpg

Mahogony

1207556336_umberweek8maybe.jpg.3860e74868956d6212d5d1b102a7ed8b.jpg

Umber 

And this shows you how close colors can be -- 

Edited by Chic Aeon
adding info

Catching Up - BLACK

Black seemed so easy to me, so I thought of famous characters in black outfits and Sandy, Greased Lightning style came to mind.  I probably spent WAY too much time putting this all together, but this is what I came up with. Couldn't find the perfect off-shoulder top, so I went with the leather jacket instead. 🙂  I'm also wearing 2 different hairs (flexi over mesh and got rid of some pieces of the 127 prim flexi - and moved several of the others around - you don't want to see how awful the back looks! 🤣).

1876790536_LaynaChrome-ColorChallenge-Black.thumb.jpg.7e7475e4552e5f57387d7f29ce021b60.jpg

• Like 8

Hello Everyone : )

Had to do a couple of re-do's and some catch up too : ) i'm trying really hard to do all of these with existing inventory and going thru all the huds is time consuming : )

1. Patriach, (Purple)

2. Mahogany:: redo

3. Lime::: redo

4. Umber

hopefully the redo's come closer to the correct colors : )

Have a great day,

Jospehine

PURPLE2021.png

MAHOGANY2021A.png

LIME2021A.png

UMBER2021.png

• Like 7

For any of you that might be working ahead so to speak from Luna's Flickr page I posted the other day ----  here is an update.    I have been working on all the colors and am making great headway with only about a dozen left to tackle. It has been an adventure and a fun one -- BUT.  As we have already seen in such a short period of time, there are some colors that are simply WAY TOO CLOSE to one another.

Yes, there is a tiny difference but so small it would be very difficult to find various items in our inventories or indeed by shopping.  So for some colors down the list (almost all the oranges were in a row and many so close to each other there was noticable difference) I will be substituting with some missing colors -- ones that to me seem odd in their absence and hopefully colors folks have.  

So if you WANT to do five renditions of pretty much the same orange that is up to you of course LOL, but it was getting way too painful por moi so I think there are now three -- tangerine, orange, and apricot which DO have easier to see differences .  One color I added was "baby pink" (a light pink). I have no idea what I have in my closet that will work but assume I have something and that many of you guys do to.  When I get the list together I will update my changes.  Oh, one time I got really rebellious and called for a PRINT LOL.    So HOPEFULLY this will be more fun this way. That's my aim.  I have certainly had some adventures.  

All good. 

• Like 6

OK this was just too funny NOT to post.  Found it on the Main Store shop around (which no longer moves to scroll through listings, at least not for me) and it's cute too LOL.  I have these colors done, but you guys might want to check it out. Anyway -- SOMEONE is watching (so funny).

image.thumb.png.c39b9256c52661eb5129825ac9965558.png

• Like 4

A new week and a new color. I am heading off to R and R time. This week's color is not a favorite of mine -- but it might be for you. I did however have a great time on my photo shoot, so that counts and I got to use a scarf I really like that has been languishing in my closet for awhile.  So all good.

We are back in purple territory this week with MAUVE.   Mauve is less saturated (more gray) than Patriarch, our first color and less red.   I actually have quite a few things in this tone, but I won my jumpsuit on a lucky board and marked it accordingly for when the time came LOL.   

Here is the color swatch for an idea of what MAUVE means to Pantone, the great color king.

mauve.jpg.9ab3404679ee72b7e38301b37db1f9b9.jpg

And here is my outfit:

1451310524_mauvestyling.thumb.jpg.f473c2161cae08e56ba91a7837f5a747.jpg

• Like 6

38 minutes ago, Marianne Little said:

Nice job! So many colors look very similar. And this is after you took off some colors that were close?

LOL . Yep.    I admit that I added "ivory" so that was my bad.  One thing I thought was QUITE weird is that "firebrick" (an original 2010 color) and (fired brick" -- one that I added because we were missing a rusty brown) had almost identical names and were VERY different. 

FOR ME the plums and browns seem to blend together a lot but I guess I found some clothing that differentiated them a bit more than the color swatches.    I didn't want to through out the whole list of course. There were five VERY close oranges and some blue greens that were very close.   

Luna's backgrounds have very little to do with the Pantone color named.   If you enlarge the graphic (it is 1999 by 1999) you can probably see the differences easier. If it won't get that big here on the forums then it will get published on my blog Saturday and I think it "should" be full sized.    I did manage in most cases to get close to the variation of the colors when they were close. It was NOT easy however and I didn't tint anything but headbands on hair :D.  

It would likely have been better overall if the colors were specifically chosen by some method rather than the randomness we have, but then I guess we would all be able to easily guess what the colors would be.   I was thinking about this while working through the colors (I finished last night) and  ---

There are three primary colors (Red, Yellow, Blue)

and three secondary colors (Orange, Green, Violet)

and six intermediary colors (Red-orange, Yellow-orange,Yellow-green, Blue- green, Blue-violet, Red-violet) 

and three tertiary colors (Rust, Olive, Amber)

so that's 15 colors ---- (let's call them hues although no one seems to agree on which colors are hues :D)

*** Note that just as there are many ideas of what the Pantone color really looks like (odd since it is supposed to be a standards thing) there are also MANY different color theory -- well, theories.   Almost everyone agrees on the primary and secondary colors though LOL.  

Then we have TINTS of each of those color (the color mixed with white)

and we have SHADES of each of those colors (the color mixed with black)

and we have TONES of each of those colors (the color mixed with gray)

So if we made just ONE each tint, tone and shade) that would be 45 colors. 

Add in some grays and white and black and you could pretty much fill up those 52 slots.

NO MY MATH IS ALL WRONG THERE -- and I have no strikethrough that I can use in edit these days (don't like that).   I forgot that we already had 15 hues. So that would make 60 without the black white and grays.   The tertiary colors (mixes of the secondary color -- so olive is a mixture of green and orange for example ) start looking a lot a like and I think that is why some of the "purples" and "browns" look so similar. 

But the colors that we think of as popular aren't necessarily the "scientific" ones -- so that's a conundrum 

But even if you go about it in a patterned manner you will still end up with some colors very close to each other.     

So NEXT year, Marrianne can pick the colors LOL. That SO WORKS FOR ME.

Edited by Chic Aeon
adding info
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, Chic Aeon said:

Here is the color chart with the colors for the year. "Black" isn't mentioned but is the background :D

573100966_colorpalette2020.thumb.jpg.aed430c29e72c432abc258c5893ea288.jpg

This color chart is helpful because when I'm trying out clothes with color HUDS, I can check if any of the colors looks like a match for one of the other weeks and then make note of that - hopefully that way I won't have to be trying out most of my clothing inventory each week :)  

Some seem really, really close to me - like moss green and olive green - so hopefully their weeks will be far enough apart that if I should end up wearing the same clothing item for both, no one will notice or remember :) 

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

10 hours ago, Chic Aeon said:

LOL . Yep.    I admit that I added "ivory" so that was my bad.  One thing I thought was QUITE weird is that "firebrick" (an original 2010 color) and (fired brick" -- one that I added because we were missing a rusty brown) had almost identical names and were VERY different. 

FOR ME the plums and browns seem to blend together a lot but I guess I found some clothing that differentiated them a bit more than the color swatches.    I didn't want to through out the whole list of course. There were five VERY close oranges and some blue greens that were very close.   

Luna's backgrounds have very little to do with the Pantone color named.   If you enlarge the graphic (it is 1999 by 1999) you can probably see the differences easier. If it won't get that big here on the forums then it will get published on my blog Saturday and I think it "should" be full sized.    I did manage in most cases to get close to the variation of the colors when they were close. It was NOT easy however and I didn't tint anything but headbands on hair :D.  

It would likely have been better overall if the colors were specifically chosen by some method rather than the randomness we have, but then I guess we would all be able to easily guess what the colors would be.   I was thinking about this while working through the colors (I finished last night) and  ---

There are three primary colors (Red, Yellow, Blue)

and three secondary colors (Orange, Green, Violet)

and six intermediary colors (Red-orange, Yellow-orange,Yellow-green, Blue- green, Blue-violet, Red-violet) 

and three tertiary colors (Rust, Olive, Amber)

so that's 15 colors ---- (let's call them hues although no one seems to agree on which colors are hues :D)

*** Note that just as there are many ideas of what the Pantone color really looks like (odd since it is supposed to be a standards thing) there are also MANY different color theory -- well, theories.   Almost everyone agrees on the primary and secondary colors though LOL.  

Then we have TINTS of each of those color (the color mixed with white)

and we have SHADES of each of those colors (the color mixed with black)

and we have TONES of each of those colors (the color mixed with gray)

So if we made just ONE each tint, tone and shade) that would be 45 colors. 

Add in some grays and white and black and you could pretty much fill up those 52 slots.

NO MY MATH IS ALL WRONG THERE -- and I have no strikethrough that I can use in edit these days (don't like that).   I forgot that we already had 15 hues. So that would make 60 without the black white and grays.   The tertiary colors (mixes of the secondary color -- so olive is a mixture of green and orange for example ) start looking a lot a like and I think that is why some of the "purples" and "browns" look so similar. 

But the colors that we think of as popular aren't necessarily the "scientific" ones -- so that's a conundrum 

But even if you go about it in a patterned manner you will still end up with some colors very close to each other.     

So NEXT year, Marrianne can pick the colors LOL. That SO WORKS FOR ME.

I hate math, so after reading this... 🤯.

Me pick colors? Lol, it is no one left. Banana was challenging enough.

But when I see the colors on black background here, I get a better idea what "Banana" is, how it should look like, and that I was way off in both attempts. 😏

But hey, it's all for fun, so I don't sulk (much).

• Like 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 889 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.