What is the most irritating thing people do in a Roleplay ???

Annaya001

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 205 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Hi All, I have been RPing in SL for almost 3 years now, and RP is what takes up my most of time inworld, However at various points I find people annoying during a Roleplay.... Say, I am in a shopping area and I got friends with a guy there, and then we started some RPs together like Partying on beach, we didn't had anything sexual till then, But out of nowhere one day, he started me to have sex with him and forcing me for it... Or Say, sometimes during a RP people are just asking you questions even not waiting for your reply, that irritates me...

So what's that irritates you

When I RP'ed on my original avatar at SunnydaleSL I played as Spike from Buffy The Vampire Slayer and I was annoyed when people tried to RP sex with me and I'd have to stop them dead in their tracks. I also was annoyed being IM'ed for sex if I was off sim too. lol When I RP'ed on a Star Trek sim on my main avatar now I was annoyed because we had a clear no sex rule on sim and people with rank felt they could ignore that rule. I get annoyed with certain whiny behind kissing clicks that form in some of these RP's that expect special treatment while everyone else has no problem following the rules. If two people make the same kind of mistake and one gets in trouble and the other doesn't this chaps my behind to no end. Removing group members just because they don't show up in your allotted time frame gets on my last nerve. Especially if you don't even bother to check and see if they have been active. Sim owners/managers who run these sims and throw their weight around just because they are the owners/managers of the RP sim. Sims ran by morons definitely at the top of that list of annoyances. lol Those few who have ever made that top known it when I finally snapped hitting full on Klingon mode and gone clean the slap off on them for what ever they pulled while on my way to walking out the door. lol My BS tolerance threshold is very low indeed. Lmao!!!!😎

Edited by Velk Kerang
Corrections.
  • Like 1

Things that irritate me in roleplay... I'd probably have to say rules and assumptions.

For the rules part, there is no single set of roleplay rules that everyone should use across all of SL. The roleplay method/"rules" you use may be overly restrictive or totally lacking in what I feel is appropriate. Sim/group owners should set basic guidelines for overall harmony and flow of roleplay, with the caveat of making sure their definition isn't too narrow or broad for whatever genre the roleplay focuses on. If the sim you're on is free style, do which ever style you prefer roleplay, the people involved need to agree beforehand on what they want and expect from all parties involved. If there is combat/fighting involved, things run a lot smoother when the members agree beforehand on the resolution method (dice HUD, acceptance, whatever).

Velk Kerang is correct, uneven enforcement of rules is the road to a sim and group dying. Favoritism towards an elitist clique attached to the inner circle of the staff and admins operating by their own set of rules ends up irritating the general membership and causes the group to fail. Quickest way to make me walk away from a roleplay scene is to have someone tell me, "I'm on the staff (or a friend of the admin) and we are going to do this my way!" (and it's usually against the sim or group rules).

This is Second Life, not Second Job. Last minute emergencies happen in real life that can conflict with the time you wanted to spend in SL. That being said, if you make a commitment to fulfill a specific role for an event that has been scheduled, you either need to make that commitment happen, or attempt to let someone on the staff know that you may not be available for the event so they can prepare alternate plans. If these last minute emergencies keep happening, maybe you shouldn't keep offering to fill vital roles.

Assumptions is the opposite of consent. Just because I'm on an adult sim, it doesn't mean I'm there for adult activities with who ever is present, so don't just start doing your thing with me without asking. Again, part of this is up to the sim owner, especially when adult rated sims are involved. If the sim is a no holds barred, do whatever with who ever, the sim owner needs to have it clearly posted at the landing point what waits for visitors once they cross that line in to the roleplay area. Then it's on the individual to accept what ever occurs or offers made. As to the personal conduct Annaya is talking about with her friend assuming that they were at a point where it was okay to take the friendship to a physical level, it would have been polite for him to ask, "Hey I want to kick it up to this level, you cool with that?". If you're on a sim that allows adult activities, expect to get IM's asking if you want to engage in those activities.

Edited by Pookie Splash
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

- When people on-sim ask me about my RP in IM instead of trying to find out in RP. Now my RP isn't some amazing literature that doesn't need spoiling. It's just more fun for people to play with me and find out that way. It's also happened where they metagame from it.

- When everyone on-sim is always in their home doing private RP. I know personal RP is most people's goal but if they want their sim to grow, visitors should have easy access to RP. I don't want to come up with a buncha versions of, "Can I borrow a cup of sugar, neighbor?"everyday  just to join private RP. I'm sure trying to join private RPs doesn't occur to most visitors.

- When people don't adjust their post length or style when the group gets larger or when different post styles mix.

- When people get horny and drooly in IM rather than in the RP sim with my RP character. It is comically easy to get something to happen with my character too.

- Statue RP. It seems in the paragraph RP community that post length may as well be the only way they measure quality. I'm not a fan of statue RP where it's a wall of narration and thought emote that I can't post a reaction to.

- When posts start becoming 95% prewritten egostroke and a 5% response to someone at the very end of it.

- When sim owners treat people who helped build their community like crap.

- When RP partners constantly complain without offering suggestions and solutions. OR leading a storyline themselves.

- When people go all out to destroy a sim's reputation instead of just moving on and finding another place to play. Same toward their fellow players. I'm not talking about venting among friends.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

the only thing that really annoys me is wanna be bdsm masters/mistress that think their rules are the be all end all of how bdsm has to be. the my way or the highway people. the you must act x way in accordance to the role you have taken. those who try and claim safe words are not allowed or are punishable for using. those that claim that limits are not allowed are are able to be ignored pushed or broken with no consent required ever. those that try and deceive people into thinking things can me bade permanent, like a collar, or rlv, or ownership or transformation, or death of an avatar. those who think you must submit to them even when you are not in any dynamic with them. you know the total arsehat kinds of people, who have no real clue in what they are doing.. and are just out to take advantage of the uneducated or misinformed.

oh I forgot one other type of person.. those who say or claim or try to make others think you cannot be hurt in sl because its just pixel and virtrual.. total bs... there is still emotional damage, or mental/psychological... it doesn't have to be physical.. to hurt or be abuse.. pain and abuse come in many forms.

Edited by Drakonadrgora Darkfold
  • Like 3

34 minutes ago, Drakonadrgora Darkfold said:

the only thing that really annoys me is wanna be bdsm masters/mistress that think their rules are the be all end all of how bdsm has to be. the my way or the highway people. the you must act x way in accordance to the role you have taken. those who try and claim safe words are not allowed or are punishable for using. those that claim that limits are not allowed are are able to be ignored pushed or broken with no consent required ever. those that try and deceive people into thinking things can me bade permanent, like a collar, or rlv, or ownership or transformation, or death of an avatar. those who think you must submit to them even when you are not in any dynamic with them. you know the total arsehat kinds of people, who have no real clue in what they are doing.. and are just out to take advantage of the uneducated or misinformed.

oh I forgot one other type of person.. those who say or claim or try to make others think you cannot be hurt in sl because its just pixel and virtrual.. total bs...

Oh you must have ran into the owner of matriarch lol... She approached me all high and mighty and told me that I belong to her and that I just didn't know it yet.  I just laughed.  Then she insulted me for a few minutes telling me how it would be for life and blah blah blah.  To which I told her I serve no one.  This just set her off more.

I'm. Sorry, rlv off what, reset scripts what. Nothing is permanent except their egos. A day later I see her collaring two brand new clones less than a week old. 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, BaronessVal said:

Oh you must have ran into the owner of matriarch lol... She approached me all high and mighty and told me that I belong to her and that I just didn't know it yet.  I just laughed.  Then she insulted me for a few minutes telling me how it would be for life and blah blah blah.  To which I told her I serve no one.  This just set her off more.

I'm. Sorry, rlv off what, reset scripts what. Nothing is permanent except their egos. A day later I see her collaring two brand new clones less than a week old. 

some try and trick people into using full time rlv viewers.. and then giving up their password so they cannot log into a different viewer to escape. and change the email so cant do a password reset.. they are so stupid that they forget a person could just put in a support ticket for a compromised account.. some even try and use TeamViewer to set the persons account as a child account and use parental controls to prevent them from downloading or using another viewer or browser to learn how to get free. as if that all cant be undone too...

some people are just so stupid in what the will try and tell others and get them to believe at times..

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Drakonadrgora Darkfold said:

some try and trick people into using full time rlv viewers.. and then giving up their password so they cannot log into a different viewer to escape. and change the email so cant do a password reset.. they are so stupid that they forget a person could just put in a support ticket for a compromised account.. some even try and use TeamViewer to set the persons account as a child account and use parental controls to prevent them from downloading or using another viewer or browser to learn how to get free. as if that all cant be undone too...

some people are just so stupid in what the will try and tell others and get them to believe at times..

Yea, sorry my account, my computer none of that will be touched by someone else.  What annoys me is all these people running around with collars on begging to be owned.  Then they get that from some random new avi whos a week younger than then and can't figure out what went wrong.  Or why their self proclaimed master left them in a hole and never came back.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, BaronessVal said:

Yea, sorry my account, my computer none of that will be touched by someone else.  What annoys me is all these people running around with collars on begging to be owned.  Then they get that from some random new avi whos a week younger than then and can't figure out what went wrong.  Or why their self proclaimed master left them in a hole and never came back.

been there done that.. had the narcissistic abusive misogynistic owner before.. who tried to call me garbage because I had limits and they didn't think they had to respect them.

On 11/21/2020 at 1:38 PM, Crim Mip said:

People who RP in third person like they are recording things to post as some sort of story later.

I've always found the third vs first person debate a bit interesting. I see it listed often as a hard limit in RP for some. 

Personally, I roleplay in third person because I'm playing a character, not myself. That seems to be the rationale I hear in most RP sims that enforce third person RP. 

I would be curious to hear reasoning why some folks prefer first person!

Edited by Bitterthorn
  • Like 7

1 hour ago, Bitterthorn said:

I've always found the third vs first person debate a bit interesting. I see it listed often as a hard limit in RP for some. 

Personally, I roleplay in third person because I'm playing a character, not myself. That seems to be the rationale I hear in most RP sims that enforce third person RP. 

I would be curious to hear reasoning why some folks prefer first person!

I'll generally use whatever my RP partner happens to be comfortable with. Some like First Person, some like Third.

Meh!

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Solar Legion said:

I'll generally use whatever my RP partner happens to be comfortable with. Some like First Person, some like Third.

Meh!

Being able to match an RP partners style is a great skill, imo. It makes things flow so much nicer. 

To keep things a little on topic, my irritation comes down to one particular problem that bothers me. 

Micromanaged RP: This isn't having a lot of rules or strict rules, but micromanagement of every small factor of a roleplay. I've walked out of sims or RP when there was admin/ownership control over things that just honestly shouldn't be their place. Best example of this I can remember was an urban RP sim and friend and I considered joining so we attended one of their town halls. We were sad to hear that the owner was considering having to close (what terrible timing we had to want to join!) But the reason why was a huge red flag I'm glad we saw. He wasn't having issues with rent / funds / time, he was angry people weren't roleplaying their pre-approved relationships he had assigned them. You read that correct, he would pick characters based on his own whims or desires and pair them up, or break them up. After we left, another member told us that he often pressured people for ERP logs to 'prove' they were roleplaying it right.

Yikes. 

I won't name this sim. If you knew it, I'm sorry you had to deal with that person. As far as I am aware it imploded and he's tried again 2-3 times with the same result.

• Confused 3
  • Sad 1

I have a sort of a list of this no doubt when someone says they "RP" it kind of peeves me to the point of not wanting to "RP with certain people.

1.) Emoting without proper spelling and Grammar. (I've seen this in dozen of "A" related groups where literally I have to ask in private IM an example of a scene. If It's not up to proper spelling or Grammar it will be harder for me to Rp with them.)

2.) Trolls (Trolls tend to ruins RP moods, Granted before I came to SL for RP I was on imvu and dealt with trolls there but I've never seen so many trolls literally shaming those with RP interests that are not for them. Granted the internet has trolls but when someone posts an RP post and literally gets trashed for it in a shaming way that can make groups or RP users not want to "RP" with those certain types.)

3.) Limits not being respected (Limits not being respected in different "RP" scenes can be quite annoying, In a way I've had people ask me about SL pregnancy and I'm like sorry that isn't for me because I don't see a reason for it. I have different limits and this is one of them I often find females begging for men to get them pregnant with no respect for limits to continue on  with IM them through alts.)

4.) Non open / Poly people (I've had this on Imvu many of times when people ask me in "A" groups is the partner okay with this when it says in my profile "Poly" when some see "Poly" its all about "A" content its more for me on getting to know people on a similar based of interests (Video games, Movies, TV ETC). I've been Poly for 3 years never seen this hate for it ever even on Imvu it was more hated because people have the mindset of thinking "A" content only when its not like that at all.

If it makes sense these are my top 4 choices for annoyances with "Roleplay" in general aspect.

11 minutes ago, FlameGirlHero said:

I have a sort of a list of this no doubt when someone says they "RP" it kind of peeves me to the point of not wanting to "RP with certain people.

1.) Emoting without proper spelling and Grammar. (I've seen this in dozen of "A" related groups where literally I have to ask in private IM an example of a scene. If It's not up to proper spelling or Grammar it will be harder for me to Rp with them.)

2.) Trolls (Trolls tend to ruins RP moods, Granted before I came to SL for RP I was on imvu and dealt with trolls there but I've never seen so many trolls literally shaming those with RP interests that are not for them. Granted the internet has trolls but when someone posts an RP post and literally gets trashed for it in a shaming way that can make groups or RP users not want to "RP" with those certain types.)

3.) Limits not being respected (Limits not being respected in different "RP" scenes can be quite annoying, In a way I've had people ask me about SL pregnancy and I'm like sorry that isn't for me because I don't see a reason for it. I have different limits and this is one of them I often find females begging for men to get them pregnant with no respect for limits to continue on  with IM them through alts.)

4.) Non open / Poly people (I've had this on Imvu many of times when people ask me in "A" groups is the partner okay with this when it says in my profile "Poly" when some see "Poly" its all about "A" content its more for me on getting to know people on a similar based of interests (Video games, Movies, TV ETC). I've been Poly for 3 years never seen this hate for it ever even on Imvu it was more hated because people have the mindset of thinking "A" content only when its not like that at all.

If it makes sense these are my top 4 choices for annoyances with "Roleplay" in general aspect.

As to your number 4, I've never run into any hate regarding a poly lifestyle.  But it is actually a defined intimate lifestyle so yes, it IS adult in nature.

Polyamory (from Greek πολύ poly, "many, several", and Latin amor, "love") is the practice of, or desire for, intimate relationships with more than one partner, with the informed consent of all partners involved. It has been described as "consensual, ethical, and responsible non-monogamy".

What you described is just having a bunch of friends with common interests like gaming, videos etc.  That's not poly.  So I can understand if someone asks if your partner is ok with it...the 'it' being adult activities.  That's not hating, it's just trying to avoid drama.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, RowanMinx said:

As to your number 4, I've never run into any hate regarding a poly lifestyle.  But it is actually a defined intimate lifestyle so yes, it IS adult in nature.

Polyamory (from Greek πολύ poly, "many, several", and Latin amor, "love") is the practice of, or desire for, intimate relationships with more than one partner, with the informed consent of all partners involved. It has been described as "consensual, ethical, and responsible non-monogamy".

What you described is just having a bunch of friends with common interests like gaming, videos etc.  That's not poly.  So I can understand if someone asks if your partner is ok with it...the 'it' being adult activities.  That's not hating, it's just trying to avoid drama.

I'm poly with the "A" aspect as in adult interests can't post them here due to guidelines as expected I look more than just "A" content in relationships like what I stated. "A" content is not important to me unless it's like a romantic based relationship and a couple of my partners are "Non-A" type content people. If it makes sense I am generally looking for relationships that isn't based on all "A" content. I've had people ask me several times if It's okay to RP and when I tell them about 6-10 times it's a no go when the conversation of interests in RP tends to be interesting. I don't accept drama in what I'm into at all not my thing to do when I use RP to have fun with others in different ways. 

Edited by FlameGirlHero

11 hours ago, FlameGirlHero said:

I'm poly with the "A" aspect as in adult interests can't post them here due to guidelines as expected I look more than just "A" content in relationships like what I stated. "A" content is not important to me unless it's like a romantic based relationship and a couple of my partners are "Non-A" type content people. If it makes sense I am generally looking for relationships that isn't based on all "A" content. I've had people ask me several times if It's okay to RP and when I tell them about 6-10 times it's a no go when the conversation of interests in RP tends to be interesting. I don't accept drama in what I'm into at all not my thing to do when I use RP to have fun with others in different ways. 

Oh ffs.  We ALL know what's meant by "A" aspects.  There's sexual RP and non-sexual RP.  The only RP that would be in question with potential RP partners is whether your current 'partners'' are ok with your poly lifestyle.  No one wants someone's SL partner getting all upset and causing drama if you decide to RP a sexual scene with someone else.  Poly really only matters to those interested in sexual RP.  If you're sitting and chatting about movies or games, who cares?  

• Like 4

28 minutes ago, RowanMinx said:

Oh ffs.  We ALL know what's meant by "A" aspects.  There's sexual RP and non-sexual RP.  The only RP that would be in question with potential RP partners is whether your current 'partners'' are ok with your poly lifestyle.  No one wants someone's SL partner getting all upset and causing drama if you decide to RP a sexual scene with someone else.  Poly really only matters to those interested in sexual RP.  If you're sitting and chatting about movies or games, who cares?  

I think you need to chill on that note, How I view poly is different on my own views. I don't see how "Drama" would get mixed into just a quick "RP" session that isn't longterm or a meaningful relationship. We all have our views on what we see and if you "Google poly" you might as well understand where I'm coming from.

https://www.glamour.com/story/7-polyamory-myths-its-time-to-stop-believing here is an article that defines the myths of Poly as I have been poly for since 2018 I believe you wouldn't understand if you haven't tried our "poly" or even researched it properly. On that note please chill on the whole issue and enjoy your day. I won't feed into negative people and will ignore further posts.

• Haha 2
  • Confused 2

6 minutes ago, FlameGirlHero said:

I think you need to chill on that note, How I view poly is different on my own views. I don't see how "Drama" would get mixed into just a quick "RP" session that isn't longterm or a meaningful relationship. We all have our views on what we see and if you "Google poly" you might as well understand where I'm coming from.

https://www.glamour.com/story/7-polyamory-myths-its-time-to-stop-believing here is an article that defines the myths of Poly as I have been poly for since 2018 I believe you wouldn't understand if you haven't tried our "poly" or even researched it properly. On that note please chill on the whole issue and enjoy your day. I won't feed into negative people and will ignore further posts.

All I have left to say is...your poly isn't how most, although not all, people see and practice poly in SL.  

• Like 1

4 hours ago, FlameGirlHero said:

How I view poly is different on my own views.

You can't just take words and apply your own random meaning to it, and expect others to understand what you're on about - especially if you're going to be explicitly vague about what it entails, and even get upset, whenever anyone asks you to explain yourself. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

I started doing RP before even knowing what SL is (pen and paper or just email with a small group) and i was very happy that Sl got a big community for RP as well. Please note that before SL, in small RP-groups, we all had more than one characters and we used a lot of NPCs to support each others story. Soon i learned in SL many ppl dont like that. It was very irritating to me. Sometimes i wasnt even able to understand the problem, because english is not my first language. NPCs were called cheating (even if they were niot used to be nice to my characters), Backstories were called stupid and also cheating if the people involved in your backstory are not online to prove you are not lying. I also like to write a lot, and i m fast with typing. Noone ever had to wait longer than 10 Minuts (i rp shorter in small groups and do as they do). I saw that many were easy to anger if i would do things they did not expect of me. Other ties they were angry because i did NOT rp the same way with them again. They did not believe in building a character and that actions change a character. In one rp my character was beaten up by another one, all fine. The next day of course my character would try to hide from that woman, and she got very angry and asked me what i dont like her any more. That brings me to the 2 worst things in RP on SL (and outside of SL)

- Thinking the Character I RP is ME. Countless times i was asked in IMs if i m horny in rl and if i want to RP erotics now. By men and women alike. So many times i had to explain that just because my character is friends with someone, doesnt mean I am friends with the player too. If my character is angry, mean, or even deathly, NO Its not me in RL!

- Being unforgiving if someone makes a mistake. I ll tell you the wirst thing that happend. As i said my first language is not english and i used a proverb wrong. In english it sounded very sexual and i had to explain later that was not what i was talking about. The people involved became very very angry with me and even banned me from the sim. At the time i was much younger and this really did hurt me a lot. I see such things happening a lot. People want others to be perfect and not deal with someone that makes mistakes. Like maybe someone isnt happy with how her/his character is ending up in a bad spot and asks for help to rp out of the situation. Suddenly many ppl (even some who dont know what it is about) call them whining and cheater "just deal with it!" "Go end yourself". All such things. With such behaviour many groups on SL eat themselfs. 

• Like 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 205 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.