Jump to content

Can This Room Be Saved?


You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 138 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Recommended Posts

So some of you are old enough to remember the column "Can This Marriage Be Saved?" in the Ladies Home Journal. This thread is like that. I put it in Mainland because, well, prims are more scarce, budgets are lower, life is more scrappier. So if I am decorating rooms in a Bella Rosa Carolina house, I've already been set back so far I may not have enough for Fantasy Faire in April (j/k). I was reluctant to move from Halloween to November/harvest/autumn still which I really insist on (no snow, no candy canes til Dec 15, no way) but on the other hand I'm busy and I don't want to come out to this house again to decorate after I've cleared the Black Cat Cupcakes from larnia, you know? So I need to gently segue into awful snow-time without having to do too much, after hitting some weekend sales.

So ok, this Apple Fall gatcha (his very last, so better run get it as he is never making any more, I personally confirmed it) table that looks like some kind of poured chocolate sundae, not my fave, is staying simply because I have no better ideas right now. That's where you come in. I'm leaving the acorns -- autumn you know. An andika edible -- Christmasy but not too Christmasy and her items are always a total bargain. 

Now, Kraftwork has this Grasmere collection on the $60 thing this weekend and again, it's Christmasy but not too Christmasy. I personally hate the Tartan rugs (this is one of them). I would ditch that idea but I have no better idea other than something of [BR]'s in teal, of which there is no shortage, but it will be overkill. Not sure this Libertine choice of an old winter painting is on point. And that big old barrel of THOR grog -- ok, I should likely shrink it down and put it on some ornate little side table. Maybe the half moons belong at the wall as God intended. I do have an accordion here already, so it fits, you know, happy people with sing-a-longs in the evenings because they have to quarantine. Oh, wait, this is SL. But you get the idea.

Then over to the fireplace area. LISP sets always come to the rescue. They have given away reams and reams of sets in 50LF and they always cover a multitude of sins. This one even has a texture change painting but I wanted to put another BIG FALL PAINTING because it is STILL FALL. Eternidad by Michiel Bechir. Yes, that round Kraftwork rug is another item literally from Grandma's house, she used to crochet but again, it is very hard to find round rugs that aren't like "nautical but nice" or have like mooses on them.

SO I'm leaving the game area "as is" because I like the big luc shiny, "Quiet Life" tree and Kittycat's fortune tea and Second Spaces games and a sturdy Newchurch sideboard. This is a commons room in a B&B. I also have a game of hangman.

What I love about this Belfort Cafe Table by Old Bailey is that you can get into one of those "Sorrows of Young Werther" poses and it also serves sushi. That's a shrunken red flower from that same Grasmere set. And the Culco accordion plays "My Bonnie Lies Over the Ocean". Any minute John Candy is going to come out and say "Polka, polka, polka! We had a few hits in the 70s..." Yes, I realize some people might want to pick all of this up and hide it very deep in inventory. That Pia's Glass Vase from Kalopsia at 50LF this weekend also looks super sad and the leaves are shedding, but I think it's perfect for a room that is in that place between Halloween and Thanksgiving...

 

Snapshot_290.jpg

Snapshot_289.jpg

Snapshot_288.jpg

Snapshot_287.jpg

Snapshot_286.jpg

Snapshot_285.jpg

Snapshot_297.jpg

Edited by Prokofy Neva
  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites

I distinctly recall Apple Fall having a 'these are the last gatchas we will ever sell' sale about a year ago.

Is this like the furniture store I used to live across the street from that had a 'Going out of business clearance sale' for about 5 years straight?

 

To-topic I would need to think, but I find 'what's next' and Apple Fall products often work well in the same space. Theme depending - Sometimes the exact opposite is true as Apple Fall feels like 'New England' to me and What's Next feels like "this is the stuff a boomer grew up with" - which sometimes means London or San Francisco instead of New England. 😉

Edited by Pussycat Catnap
Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, Pussycat Catnap said:

I distinctly recall Apple Fall having a 'these are the last gatchas we will ever sell' sale about a year ago.

Is this like the furniture store I used to live across the street from that had a 'Going out of business clearance sale' for about 5 years straight?

 

To-topic I would need to think, but I find 'what's next' and Apple Fall products often work well in the same space. Theme depending - Sometimes the exact opposite is true as Apple Fall feels like 'New England' to me and What's Next feels like "this is the stuff a boomer grew up with" - which sometimes means London or San Francisco instead of New England. 😉

Yes, I call it Apple Falle because it all feels like Greenwich, CT to me. And some of the sets are made exactly with that culture in mind, like "West Village" and so on. Apple is very serious about the last gatchas, however. They are gone, gone, gone. His store currently is in the sky and kind of "temp" -- a lot of stuff has been moved to the Outlet and made available for free or low cost. So rush there to get them because he retired not only gatchas, but copyable furniture that is old. This is a guy who wants fresh stock. I suspect he is going to have a more elaborate store on the ground soon as he did before with displays and such.

As for what's next, I feel as if I am in the Captain [Insert Name of Local Family}'s Daughter's Room with frilly bedspreads on a bed that I actually can't get on without a footstool, little doilies on a bird-like "occasional table" and a basket with dried hyacinths. The dust motes hang in the air as you gaze out to low tide.

After shopping with the yuppie and preppie and millenial stuff, and I still haven't been invited to Care-Care's tea, I go to cinphul and buy like some insect pincers or a backpack with hazardous waste or some crumpled boots. She sells a "skybox" which is actually this really gritty cliff with a dead tree on it, a small bubble. Nest in cinphul's sky box for a bit, cleanse the palate, you're ready now to go to Storax. 

I'm happy to have these rooms repaired by OTHER Apple Fall stuff. I have a lot of it. So just recommend it. Looking at it in the cold light of morning, I think there are some things I can do and will, and will show you.

Edited by Prokofy Neva
Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, Prokofy Neva said:

Yes, I call it Apple Falle because it all feels like Greenwich, CT to me. And some of the sets are made exactly with that culture in mind, like "West Village" and so on. Apple is very serious about the last gatchas, however. They are gone, gone, gone. His store currently is in the sky and kind of "temp" -- a lot of stuff has been moved to the Outlet and made available for free or low cost. So rush there to get them because he retired not only gatchas, but copyable furniture that is old. This is a guy who wants fresh stock. I suspect he is going to have a more elaborate store on the ground soon as he did before with displays and such.

As for what's next, I feel as if I am in the Captain [Insert Name of Local Family}'s Daughter's Room with frilly bedspreads on a bed that I actually can't get on without a footstool, little doilies on a bird-like "occasional table" and a basket with dried hyacinths. The dust motes hang in the air as you gaze out to low tide.

After shopping with the yuppie and preppie and millenial stuff, and I still haven't been invited to Care-Care's tea, I go to cinphul and buy like some insect pincers or a backpack with hazardous waste or some crumpled boots. She sells a "skybox" which is actually this really gritty cliff with a dead tree on it, a small bubble. Nest in cinphul's sky box for a bit, cleanse the palate, you're ready now to go to Storax. 

I'm happy to have these rooms repaired by OTHER Apple Fall stuff. I have a lot of it. So just recommend it. Looking at it in the cold light of morning, I think there are some things I can do and will, and will show you.

The one item to me that anchors an entire room and look is a large rug.  The smaller rugs you have out don't do much for the overall look nor make the rooms warm and inviting.  

The area with the 2 chairs and fireplace needs an oriental or something similar.  It would look nice with the leather chairs giving it more of a cozy den feel.  The rug should be just slightly smaller in size than that entire area.  

A nice braided rug under the dining table, circular.

Rugs should always be under furniture to some degree to tie all the pieces.together in a cohesive manner.  IMO

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Additionally- all those nooks-- fill it with greenery, interrupting occassionally with a side table with nick nacks. I think that will make the space feel cozier and all the floor space won't look so strange. With the holiday season also, some of those nooks can be filled with holiday trees, and come spring you can easily replace with Dust Bunny or Mithral or Botanical hanging plants and pots. Oh and occasionally mix it up with art prints too- art prints with plants. 

  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/21/2020 at 3:34 PM, Therese Tammas said:

Additionally- all those nooks-- fill it with greenery, interrupting occassionally with a side table with nick nacks. I think that will make the space feel cozier and all the floor space won't look so strange. With the holiday season also, some of those nooks can be filled with holiday trees, and come spring you can easily replace with Dust Bunny or Mithral or Botanical hanging plants and pots. Oh and occasionally mix it up with art prints too- art prints with plants. 

Well, I don't have all the prims in the world for this but I think greenery is a good idea on little tables or on the floor. "Art print of a plant as a substitute of a plant" to me is like turning your KittyCat to that flat prim image variant -- I think they lose their essence then. I don't understand how they eat and mate in that state. They seem to, but I don't like that.

I am working on this with everyone's advice, back soon!

Link to post
Share on other sites

OK, better? It goes against my religion to put out something like a Mithral plant but ok. You are welcome to come here and put out more plants if you have them. 

I personally feel a little shell-shocked by putting out a rug to "pull the room together" but I may have overdone it. This is an Indian design on a texture I purchased to make a rug with. There's also the same Kraftwork stuff plus I added ChiaMia Knightbridge coffee tables which I love. The green isn't exactly right, but who's counting. It is very hard to get that same green, I tried just now with two gadgets on that white chair in the same ChiaMia gatcha but ok, whatever. I decided to keep the painting of the girl in the muff because her dress is teal.

I shrunk down the THOR keg to a size more manageable, you still get the same steins out of it. Yes, andika Christmas cake and advent calendar. Many people have door shelves or decorative doors like this that "go nowhere" but mine always "go somewhere" with Experience. I'm amazed that my neighbour with this great Taiwanese hangout next door discovered the secret room and the props inside when no one who has lived there in over a year has discovered it. I think people mainly stay up in their skyboxes which is why a B&B works, when you think it wouldn't in SL. 

The fireplace in the Knighbridge site cried out to be re-textured. And the what's next quadrefoil lamp is something that I think you can put in any room, and it will land jelly-side up, so to speak. Plus, you can feel secretly sophisticated for knowing what "quadrefoil" means. 

 

Snapshot_029.png

Link to post
Share on other sites

Well, I didn't mean a room sized rug and the white is a bit harsh.  I meant under seating areas where you had tiny rugs but you changed the seating that was in front of the fireplace or was that a different room?  

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, RowanMinx said:

Well, I didn't mean a room sized rug and the white is a bit harsh.  I meant under seating areas where you had tiny rugs but you changed the seating that was in front of the fireplace or was that a different room?  

 

Yes, I agree the white is too harsh and I tried graying it which I often do with things, that didn't work, and colouring it looks too artificial. I may leave it until tenants complain of snow blindness while I look for another rug but I find rugs are really hard to get right. I have zillions of them, and very well sorted by type and colour. And it always seems to require a fresh purchase for each situation. The rugs that came with this set (I left one of them) I just don't like.

Yes, I changed the seating. Originally, I wanted a smaller conversation area with two settees facing each other but that seemed stupid especially as they have no back. So I opened up the floor and put them flush to the wall, because you never know, someone may want to play Twister.

OK, in quest of rugs...

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 138 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...