Omega Appliers and BOM?

Nanellia

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1250 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

This is gonna be another one of my noob questions, but do omega appliers work on BOM avatars? I'm currently full BOM, but I bought some skin and face shines that also have omega appliers. Would those omega appliers work on a fully BOM avi? Is there something that I need to do to make them work, or something that I could do to make my avi be omega enabled? I want to get one of the face shines to work, but I don't know if it's even possible.

Also, I have the same question for hair bases as well that have no BOM layers, but are 'omega'. Could these kinds of hair bases work on a full BOM avatar, or would I have to strictly adhere to either BOM layers, or appliers that are made specifically for my head? 

Edited by Nanellia

Probably not. But... this depends on how the head and body are made.

This gets tricky. If the body or head has multiple layers then the Appliers may work. If they do the appliers are still not using BoM. Appliers are not a BOM thing. But heads and bodies with multiple layers are mixing BoM and Applier tech. So.... it depends...

My GA.EG Jennifer head uses BOM skin or Applier skin and has layers for skin, makeup and tats. The skin use one or the other. No mixing. If I use a skin applier with BOM enabled it will not show. If I turn BOM off then the applier skin will show but cover up or replace the BOM skin, depending on how you think about it

If I use BOM skin I can also use a BOM tat or I can use an applier tat. The applier tat is going on a layer above the skin layer and will show. If I wear a BOM system layer tat, assuming a different one, it will show but the applier tat may cover it. The BOM tat gets composited with the skin by the BOM-engine and both are put on the skin layer of the head, under the head's tat layer.

Confused yet?

Shine... this adds to the complexity. Avatar skin on the classic or system avatar cannot use materials, shine or texture. Layers in body or head can use shine, glow, and texture. Some designers have designed the mesh head or mesh body to use materials. These materials have to be added using an applier. Once again they are mixing applier and BOM tech to get an effect not possible with pure BOM.

So what you can so with the head or body depends on what you have and how it was made.

Edited by Nalates Urriah
  • Like 1

20 hours ago, Nanellia said:

This is gonna be another one of my noob questions, but do omega appliers work on BOM avatars? I'm currently full BOM, but I bought some skin and face shines that also have omega appliers. Would those omega appliers work on a fully BOM avi? Is there something that I need to do to make them work, or something that I could do to make my avi be omega enabled? I want to get one of the face shines to work, but I don't know if it's even possible.

Also, I have the same question for hair bases as well that have no BOM layers, but are 'omega'. Could these kinds of hair bases work on a full BOM avatar, or would I have to strictly adhere to either BOM layers, or appliers that are made specifically for my head? 

It depends on your body and head. If you are using Maitreya, or Belleza, and a Catwa or Genus head, then yes you can, provided that you use a BOM skin. Note however that some bodies and heads are BOM-only, and do not have capability to use appliers. So it really depends on which body and head you have. 

In general, to get Omega to work, you have to purchase a separate relay or installer from here: https://marketplace.secondlife.com/stores/133475. Make sure you purchase the correct one for your brand of body and another for your head.  Some of them are Installers - this means that you wear it, click it, then take it off and forget. You can then add whatever omega appliers you wish to use.  Some of them are Relays - this means that you must wear both the Relay and the omega applier at the same time, every time. The instructions for each one will tell you what type you have.

If you use Maitreya, you will need to remember to add the extra layers from your body pack. These are in your inventory and not normally worn, you just add whichever ones you want to use. If you are using Slink or Signature, you'll need to switch the whole body; the pack for these two contains one version that is BOM-only and one that can use both. Most heads will work fine just as they are.

Two things to remember if combining BOM and appliers at the same time:

1) Your skin must be BOM. You cannot have an applier skin with other BOM layers on it. So this means - do not turn BOM off on your hud; keep your body BOM-enabled as usual, and do not add any body or head alphas.

2) Everything you have that is added by an applier will be added on top of all of your BOM layers. You cannot add a further BOM layer over the top of an applier layer.

I often combine them for makeup; I'll wear mostly BOM layers but with applier eyeshadow or lipstick for example. One of the big advantages of using applier makeup is you can blend it to decrease the intensity, whereas with BOM makeup it's all-or-nothing.  I also have a tattoo which I like to wear with only one arm showing instead of two, so I wear that on an applier layer too, because on Maitreya you can hide the tattoo on each arm separately.

37 minutes ago, Maitimo said:

If you are using Slink or Signature, you'll need to switch the whole body; the pack for these two contains one version that is BOM-only and one that can use both.

Slink, yes. Signature, no. It was only the first BoM release of Signature bodies that included separate versions for BoM and non-BoM. You can now activate and deactivate BoM on the same Signature body by using its HUD. They* do still contain two versions of the body, but that's for neck fits and not BoM capability.

*The male bodies do, anyway. Not sure about the female one.

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Skell Dagger said:

Slink, yes. Signature, no. It was only the first BoM release of Signature bodies that included separate versions for BoM and non-BoM. You can now activate and deactivate BoM on the same Signature body by using its HUD. They* do still contain two versions of the body, but that's for neck fits and not BoM capability.

*The male bodies do, anyway. Not sure about the female one.

Cheers, Skell. Looks like my Signature bodies need an update :)

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1250 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.