Viewer(s) won't open - why?

Glanecia Varriale

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1246 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

I tried to open firestorm today, and it starts to open, but never completely opens up. I did a clean install - twice. It still didn't work. I downloaded the Second Life viewer - same problem. No errors are given. It doesn't even get that far. "Initializing VFS" is the last thing I see, and then the viewer never opens. 

I recently had a power outage, could something have been damaged on my computer to prevent it from opening up second life? 

Also, windows did an automatic update too ... so maybe something was changed in my settings to prevent SL from opening up?

Edited by Glanecia Varriale

9 answers to this question

When you have a question about a specific viewer, your best bet is to ask the developers or support team for that viewer.  In this case, visit the Firestorm troubleshooting site  or contact their support staff on line or (if you can get in world) through their in-world support group.  

On their  troubleshooting page, you might want to start with https://wiki.firestormviewer.org/fs_install_crash, which highlights some of the more common reasons for failure to open.

16 minutes ago, Glanecia Varriale said:

Also, windows did an automatic update too ... so maybe something was changed in my settings to prevent SL from opening up?

Sometimes Windows does mess up things - most often with graphic drivers.

Can you get the viewer opened enough to select the Help menu WITHOUT logging in?  If so, select the ABOUT info and paste it here. 

If not, you can also run DxDiag (lives in Windows/System32) and that should give info about your graphics card.

Just now, LittleMe Jewell said:

Sometimes Windows does mess up things - most often with graphic drivers.

Can you get the viewer opened enough to select the Help menu WITHOUT logging in?  If so, select the ABOUT info and paste it here. 

If not, you can also run DxDiag (lives in Windows/System32) and that should give info about your graphics card.

No, it doesn't open up enough for that. It just disappears before it ever becomes an actual viewer -- I'm sure there are better words to describe what's happening. I'm running a check disc scan thing, and then I'll see about maybe updating drivers for my graphics card? Or maybe trying to get the computer to go back before this latest update. 

The graphics driver version date is a bit over 2 months ago, so that should not be the current problem.  

You might have to open a Support ticket with LL - since you get the same issue with the SL viewer, LL Support will work with you. 

You can also search the JIRA (https://jira.secondlife.com) for that message and see if anything recent pops up with something that sounds plausible.

The https://wiki.firestormviewer.org/fs_install_crash page that Rolig mentioned has a section specifically for that error.  Your graphics card isn't those mentioned, so possibly the corrupt cache issue.  Follow the steps they give for fixing that issue.

If that lets you log in, then it is possible that your Second Life viewer cache also got corrupted.  Per a note on a similar JIRA, try the following:
   Rename your cache folder, C:\Users\YourWindowsLogin\AppData\Local\SecondLife , to something like SecondLife.bak , then start the SecondLife viewer and see if it logs in.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1246 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.