I must be doing something wrong

quvie

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1259 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

I have what I believe to be a classic avatar.  I can use mesh clothing with alpha layers most of the time with no problems.   I recently tried a demo of a mesh(said for classic and mesh avatars) suit.  The suit looked really great while wearing the alpha that came with it.  Then I tried on shoes mesh (said for classic and mesh avatars). they also were worn with an alpha layer to keep my feet from showing.  The problem is I wear the suit and it looks great and as soon as I put on the shoes the suit goes away.  If I try to wear the suit again the shoes go away.  If they would only both be there together everything would be fine but wearing a suit with bare feet looks funny.  What is going on here please.

8 answers to this question

Ah, that part is easy at least.  Use the "ADD" option, not the "WEAR" option.   If two items are attached to the same point on your body, WEARing one will force the other to detach.  I know it doesn't always appear to make sense, but the actual attachment point for an object doesn't necessarily have to be a spot where you might logically attach it in RL.  Many clothing items attach by default on the right hand, for example.

• Like 2

41 minutes ago, quvie said:

I am going to go try it right now.

Good luck.  I suppose I should point out the reverse of what I said earlier.  The ADD option will not force something that is already attached to detach.  That means you could end up wearing two dresses at once, or two pairs of shoes.  That's mildly embarrassing, but probably less embarrassing than suddenly wearing no dress in a crowd. 

Wearing clothes can be a nerve-wracking experience for a newcomer to SL.  I remember worrying about how to change clothes safely and, like most other people, looking for remote places to hide while doing it. A handful of basic rules helps:

1. If you are in doubt, use ADD instead of WEAR, and clean up extra clothing afterwards.

2. Put new clothes ON first and remove the old ones later. That way, you are always wearing something.

3. Get in the habit of wearing underwear or, if you have a mesh body, using the alpha masks to make covered parts of your body invisible.

4. Don't panic about unexpected nudity. It happens, and sometimes it's just a matter of slow rezzing. You'll recover.

BTW, if you really do need a safe place to change until you get used to swapping outfits in public, head for the bottom of the ocean.  There's rarely anyone there.  ;) 

Edited by Rolig Loon
typos. as always.
  • Like 1

Just now, Love Zhaoying said:

Is this the same as "Replace Outfit"?

That terminology shows up in some viewers and, yes, if you are using outfits that you have created ahead of time, that option does the smooth replacement automatically.  What I meant, though, was the dirt-level manual operation of putting clothes on your body and taking them off.  In RL, we take things OFF before we put new things ON.  If you are dressing yourself manually in SL, you do the reverse to be safe.

28 minutes ago, Love Zhaoying said:
29 minutes ago, Rolig Loon said:

2. Put new clothes ON first and remove the old ones later. That way, you are always wearing something.

Not in the way that Rolig meant about 'order' of things. 

The "Replace Outfit" will automatically take off anything you currently have on and put on whatever the 'Outfit' contains. However,  while it does sometimes add some of the Outfit items before removing everything that your originally had on, there are no guarantees on the 'ordering' of the actions.  I can tell you from experience that it will often leave you fully or partially naked during the transition.

Edited by LittleMe Jewell
spelling - what else?
  • Like 1

13 minutes ago, LittleMe Jewell said:
24 minutes ago, Love Zhaoying said:

Not in they way that Rolig meant about 'order' of things. 

The "Replace Outfit" will automatically take off anything you currently have on and put on whatever the 'Outfit' contains. However,  while it does sometimes add some of the Outfit items before removing everything that your originally had on, there are no guarantees on the 'ordering' of the actions.  I can tell you from experience that it will often leave you fully or partially naked during the transition.

Sounds like for a "RL" comparison, in "RL" you would:

1) Be at the beach fully dressed

2) Put a towel on over your clothes

3) Take off your clothes while still wearing the towel

4) Put on your swimwear under the towel

5) Take off the towel

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1259 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.