why i cant download necesary files for the viewer??

keanu Hesse

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 493 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

hello people.

i clean up an old pc and reinstall windows 7 ultimate sp1. 64bit

ive tryed to install singularity viewer 64bit in it since is the best this pc can handle an wen is trying to download the vlc media package its says connecting but nothing happens ultill it fails and ask me to try again. and keeps like this forever.

i tryed to add the setup to the windows firewall and still same. i dessable the firewwall and still not downloading.

ive tryed the commmand sfc/scannow and doesnt show any windows errors.

soooo...what can i do?

Edited by keanu Hesse
added system version

7 answers to this question

Probably give up on Windows 7, which is not supported by Linden Lab and has not been supported even by Microsoft since January 14, 2020.  You will find that an increasing number of programs that you depend on will start misbehaving or simply stop running because software vendors are no longer providing backward support for the outdated OS.

1 hour ago, Rolig Loon said:

Probably give up on Windows 7, which is not supported by Linden Lab and has not been supported even by Microsoft since January 14, 2020.  You will find that an increasing number of programs that you depend on will start misbehaving or simply stop running because software vendors are no longer providing backward support for the outdated OS.

ive have installed it on a crappy lappy whit win 7 and dint have that problem. only thing  is very slow on that one.

22 hours ago, Nick0678 said:

Click cancel on this screen and let it continue with the installation of the rest of  it's stuff or select some other SL client.

Screenshot_2020-11-13_10-58-04.thumb.png.26ba7d63548636cf64576b37edf0fe9f.png

i have done that and after install, when i run the viewer stops saying some file is missing an wont open it.

On 11/14/2020 at 3:52 AM, Nick0678 said:

This link has your issue, maybe one of singularity developers will provide a new build. https://singularityviewer.atlassian.net/browse/SV-2401

Installing Singularity on a Windows 8, and a Windows 10, both systems had the same problem, and after skipping at the prompt 'Failed to download VLC media package.', the viewer either shuts down a few seconds after starting, or it starts but fails to display the Splash Screen, and never connects to a Grid.

Nick0678, quoted above, has the working solution, in both my cases. 
Quoting the solution from the link:

"Depending on your Operating system architecture, download the following vlc package

http://download.videolan.org/pub/videolan/vlc/2.2.8/win64/vlc-2.2.8-win64.7z

http://download.videolan.org/pub/videolan/vlc/2.2.8/win32/vlc-2.2.8-win32.7z

win64 for 64bit Windows, or win32 for 32 bit windows.

Extract the package , and locate the following files and folder

libvlc.dll libvlccore.dll

plugins

Now navigate to your Singularity install directory and copy and paste these into the llplugin folder.

Relaunch Singularity, and your media files should play now.

Hope this helps

ven0m Resident"

This worked for me on Windows 8.1, and Windows 10 installs.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 493 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.