No Santa??

StrykerHawk

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1257 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I remember being at midnight mass (my family's Catholic) when I was 7 or 8 and suddenly getting worried and asking my mum "What if Santa misses us tonight or forgets our street?" My whole family was going "Shh!" and told me if I kept talking he wouldn't come, and my sister pinched me. So I spent the rest of midnight mass in despair, terrified I'd jinxed it :$ 

• Like 6
  • Haha 1

12 minutes ago, StrykerHawk said:

For my daughter its fun to see how she believes in that magic.   

Dad made a little "monster door" at the base of the wall in my bedroom when I was quite young. It opened to reveal a small space before a black wall intended to give the impression of an endless void. I really can't recall how it all started, whether I ever believed there really were monsters or if I always knew it was Dad on "the other side". Dad told me all kinds of stories about the strange creatures that lived there. They loved Snickers candy bars (as did Dad ;-), so I'd open the door and place one inside before going to bed at night, then eagerly check to see what they'd left me in the morning. The "gifts" ranged from lint, to bones (found in our woods, sometimes enough to reconstruct the entire skeleton) to scavenger hunt hints that sent me chasing all over the place in search of larger things. Halloween was our family's favorite holiday and I have never been afraid of monsters, or the dark.

We also had three skinny little stuffed beanbag bears, one for each of us, that we posed in various ways to send messages to each other throughout the years. I learned to sit the baby bear in the daddy bear's lap to signify I wanted "story time" from Dad. Mom might pose the baby bear with one hand in the cookie jar as a signal there were fresh cookies inside for me to eat. Sometimes I'd find the mommy bear in the daddy bear's lap, and wondered which of the two of them had posed them so. You get the idea.

I moved back in with my parents after my divorce and quickly found gifts behind the monster door again. I continued a magnificent dialog with my father through that door until my parents moved off to the nearby senior living village. I'm now 50 years old and my belief in magic is as strong as ever.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

Better question:

How did you learn there was no Santa?

• Did you catch parents wrapping presents and/or putting them under the tree?
  • Did you pull off Santa's beard at the mall?
  • Did your big sister/brother break it to you gently or make fun of you for believing in Santa?
  • Did an upper classmen or bully at school spoil it for everyone?
  • Did you wake up, go downstairs and catch mommy French kissing Santa near the fireplace on Christmas Eve and "dad" had to make a big reveal to restore "family values"?
Edited by Lucia Nightfire

5 hours ago, StrykerHawk said:

How old were you when you found out there was no Santa??  

never heared about it till my later youth, it was a non existant thing in many( not all) parts of europe till american commercial  idiocy activities came over the ocean, comparable to valentine and halloween.
"Our" gift celebration is traditional "sint nicolaas" at dec 5th since early mediavel ages, at the name you can clearly see where Santa Claus comes from :)

Edited by Alwin Alcott
  • Like 2

I was 8.  I remember it well.   I had a chalk board on an easel & on Christmas Eve would draw a map to our house on it so Santa could find us.  The year I turned 8 we moved house & somehow my chalk board didn't make it   ¬.¬  ....  so I was convinced that Santa would not be able to find us, especially as we were now in a completely different place !  I was upset the whole day & then one of my older brothers told me that Santa's presents were locked in the trunk of my mother's car.    

• Haha 1
  • Sad 1

8 hours ago, Ceka Cianci said:

But there was. St Nicholas was a real guy.

Of course he was although in my country we do the gift's exchange on 1st of January celebrating another Saint of that era, Saint Basil of Caesarea.
(personally as a kid after becoming 5-6 years old i couldn't wait that much so always did some search a few days before and eventually figured where the gifts were hidden)
Saint Nicholas (Santa Claus) is honored as well on the 6th of December as the patron saint of sailors.

8 years old.. my parents tried the ole put the box under the tree then claim its empty and just a place holder until santa fills it lie. It was a couple days before christmas, I woke early one morning before everyone else and secretly unwrapped and then rewrapped one when I had found out it was full. I then acted all surprises xmas day about what the gift was so they didnt know.

10 hours ago, Ceka Cianci said:

But there was. St Nicholas was a real guy. Just not that guy from the grape vine.

And his story is absolutely horrible. I mean, he's very much the good guy and it works out well in the end, but jeez, that's a tale to give you nightmares.

Can't remember how old I was precisely, probably around 7 or 8.

My mother's boyfriend at the time had this really unsettling whole-face Santa mask that looked wrong. Whenever he came into the room wearing his Santa getup, my little brothers would be terrified, and I remember thinking it was really weird that when Santa spoke, his lips didn't move, and his eyes looked like they were way too deep in their sockets.

We lived in a fairly large, old house, with a rather excessive basement with several rooms and narrow, spindly corridors running between them, leading to the root cellar, boiler room, garage, and then a storage room behind the garage. I don't know why I was down there, but I think we'd gone to find a toolbox to fix something in the garden, and whilst we were rummaging through the storage room I completely froze up when I saw Santa's head on a shelf, staring down at me with empty eye sockets. 

Whilst I couldn't find the exact mask on Google, it was a little something like this, but with more wrinkles that were all really deeply shaded, and the eyebrows and beard was more gray-ish and looked kind of dirty:

32_adf1211f-4af1-4357-b456-24d23d096302_

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1257 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.