Amazon cloud servers and FPS improvement/less lag - nope

I filmed a wedding the other nite on a sim that was in the Blake area and is now on Amazon servers - it is a marina with a airport above and the wedding had about 40 guests. I was getting between 6-12 FPS which is alot lower than I often get doing weddings on linden servers. Not of course any type of A/B comparison -  I had hoped there would be some improvement in lag reduction and/or FPS on the new cloud servers, and at least in this one sim - not a bit. I suppose there may be other benefits but maybe sot so much in performance...

For a decrease in viewer FPS, I wonder if the Texture Console showed that all textures had loaded. Lately -- and especially on regions with so many avatars -- I'm seeing substantial lag from slow asset loading, regardless of whether the sim is hosted in the datacenter or the cloud. It feels like the CDN is saturated, maybe throttled somehow.

Aside from all that, is there reason to expect viewer FPS to increase as a result of better server performance, which would seem the most we could hope from the cloud? I guess there would be if viewers were bottlenecked by delayed server updates, but I'm not sure when this happens.

• Like 1
2 hours ago, Jackson Redstar said:

I filmed a wedding the other nite on a sim that was in the Blake area and is now on Amazon servers - it is a marina with a airport above and the wedding had about 40 guests. I was getting between 6-12 FPS which is alot lower than I often get doing weddings on linden servers. Not of course any type of A/B comparison -  I had hoped there would be some improvement in lag reduction and/or FPS on the new cloud servers, and at least in this one sim - not a bit. I suppose there may be other benefits but maybe sot so much in performance...

Why do you expect your viewer to perform better when the improvements are only server-side?
You never mentioned if you had been doing recordings in that region with 40 people attending before, with a similar scene complexity. With a similar number of textures that needed to be loaded and kept in memory.
You should, however, see an improvement in how long it takes to cross from one region into another, and how fast and reliable teleports are. Scripts may run smoother too. All that takes place server side.
But rendering the textures, objects, avatars, etcetera, that happens on your computer and no matter how fast the server is, no matter how smooth it runs over there on the Amazon servers, none of that has any effect on how well your viewer performs.
What DOES have an effect is

• Rebooting your PC before such an important event to make sure nothing is running in the background which should not be there.
  • Making sure you have plenty of RAM
  • Making sure your graphics card is nice and modern.
  • Make sure to only run SL and your screen recorder (OBS?)
  • And for pete's sake, do NOT clear your cache every time you close SL, you will have to load all the textures as well as your inventory all over again, causing lots of delay.

In short: Neither the server's software, nor where the server is hosted has ANY influence on your FPS. Anyone telling you otherwise has little knowledge of how networking works. Yes, slow loading textures is a thing but again that is not the FPS.

• Thanks 1

As a datacentre technican who works for one of the big 4 datacenter providers. who you host with and the technologies you employ does make a difference. Cloud hosting does make a difference as they support colocation accross many continents, hundreds of datacenters. Reducing lag by having colocated server closer to the customer, creating mesh networks of servers that communicate together and act as one big server will enable servers to share files (ie textures, sprites) and bring them closer to the customer, the humen reaction time is 250 milliseconds, would you rather content loaded cross country maby taking 200-400 milliseconds or localy in under 30 milliseconds.

The viewer has a bandwidth cap of 10 mbps (1.25MB), if you had a 100mbit connection, you would only be using 10% of that, this is the major problem, with the advancement of graphic cards we are able to load many things at once but we are being limited by bandwidth. There are many other factors that come into play also, its upstream capabilities and even the responce time of the servers storage, nvme is the future and what i would recomend but the standard is still only 100iops.

Rendering is not an issue and this game is playable on onbult graphics nowdays as long as settings are kept low, a $500 pc would run this game A.O.K. If you got the $$$ a 3080 RTX and Ryzen 5900 with 32GB ram would be the way to go :)

Servers are important as they send you the files before rendering takes place. They to need fast ram, multicored CPU's and fast storage

13 hours ago, Fritigern Gothly said:
In short: Neither the server's software, nor where the server is hosted has ANY influence on your FPS. Anyone telling you otherwise has little knowledge of how networking works. Yes, slow loading textures is a thing but again that is not the FPS.

Just to add to this there is a stuttering effect felt by the user when they wait for textures/sprites to be downloaded from the server, however a moden graphics card once files recived from the server loads these in nanoseconds

Edited by nuzicx
4 hours ago, Jackson Redstar said:

so, in short, other than better region crossings the end user will see zero benefits of cloud based servers vs linden servers?

Pretty much that, and teleports being faster and more reliable. There will be more in due time but an FPS increase will not be one of them, because that depends on your PC, not on the servers.

• Thanks 1

So far, Teleports are not faster or more reliable going between uplifted (AWS) regions. It actually seems to be worse right now. Hopefully they will sort that out along with pretty horrible performance from the content servers delivering assets / textures. Akamai is great for web content delivery, but it seems to be not so great dealing with game assets. It doesn't help that the viewer's caching is just completely broken, where zooming far away, letting that load, and then resetting the camera to close and finding everything gray again having to wait for the textures to get reloaded.... That's just inexcusable when you have a large cache on a high-end NVMe drive. As I mentioned in other threads, I had high hopes too that moving from the OLD datacenter servers to the modern AWS would result in much less server side lag caused by lots of avatars in the region and significant scripts, but I'm not seeing any performance benefit at any level. It's as if they brought everything over using 2007-era computing resources ignoring Moore's law.  With the size of the deployment, LL isn't paying retail prices here, but when I look at how much I pay for regions and what I can get for a VM at a hosting company like Digital Ocean (which has a simple pricing scheme unlike AWS) it leaves me scratching my head and frustrated that the performance is still just as crappy in this new supposedly "high end" environment.

Continuing performance problems is that elephant in the room that LL doesn't appear to want to acknowledge.

• 1 month later...

Change your way of thinking and stop believing linden labs cloud will work wonders on lag regarding your pc. The majority of lags is caused by technically bad, but visually pleasing meshes made by "creators" who dont do proper topology on their meshes or lack the knowledge of optimizing their meshes they throw on the market. This wont end unless londen labs puts regulations on that. It cant be that a lunar top has 340k tris.

• Haha 2