Showing an item in your Marketplace store that is ONLY available to buy at your in world store (or vice versa)?

Katherine Heartsong

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1251 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Quick "how would you do this" type question from a newbie.

I want to preferably be able to show an item in my Marketplace store, but direct the user the my in-world store to buy the item. These are limited edition (one only) items so I can't have it for sale in both locations unless I can somehow tie a purchase in one place to the other. In other words, if a buyer buys item A at my in world store, the items would have to become "0" quantity in the Marketplace so It could not be bought a second time. And vice versa.

I could, I suppose, make the in world store a place to view-only the items, with note cards attached to each items explaining a user needs to go to the Marketplace to purchase. Hmmm.

Thoughts?

Edited by Katherine Heartsong

12 minutes ago, Katherine Heartsong said:

Quick "how would you do this" type question from a newbie. I want to preferably be able to show an item in my Marketplace store, but direct the user the my in-world store to buy the item. These are limited edition (one only) items so I can't have it for sale in both locations unless I can somehow tie a purchase in one place to the other. In other words, if a buyer buys item A at my in world store, the items would have to become "0" quantity in the Marketplace so It could not be bought a second time. And vice versa. Thoughts?

1. You can sell limited copies on Marketplace as you mention - just select that option when you set up the listing and upload each item.  Quantity will then go to zero once all are sold.
2. You cannot have an "empty" listing that directs users to buy inworld (see marketplace TOS below) as that is deemed a catalog item (I believe).
3. You can have a limited quantity item on Marketplace with a "see item in Second Life" SLURL.   So if you have at least two of the limited quantity items - you can upload one to Marketplace, put one for sale on your land and hope the user clicks the "see item in Second Life" link and purchases it there.
4. If these are NOT third party items (e.g. gacha) and your own work (e.g. you are making it limited edition yourself) say a run of 10 items, you could use 2. above and just reconcile daily to ensure you don't ever sell more than the 10 you wish across both marketplace/inworld.  

"The SL Marketplace is also not to be used for:

• Advertising events, places, or groups.
  • Creating Listings for land sales/rentals except as for free in the Marketplace Land Categories,
  • Dispensing catalogs or information regarding a service without actually charging at least 50% of the value of that service.
  • Creating Demo Product Listings without linking the Demo to the Full Version of the product."

If you have only one of the limited quantity items (e.g. if you are a gacha reseller) The only way I can think of is, is in world have a picture of it and a script that directs the user to purchase directly on Marketplace.  

Albeit, I would have to ask why you would want to do that with a limited quantity item .  You'll then pay the Marketplace commission for the sale.

Somebody more versed in this may post on this - I may have missed a workaround you can use as I don't sell limited quantity items myself.  I do know however it can't be an empty listing directing the person to go and buy inworld.    

• Like 2

Thank you so much for your help!

I may also simply have the items in my store not "buyable" but dispense a note card with information, a link, and instructions about how to purchase it in the Marketplace store. Now I have to figure out the click and "offer a note" scripting thing. :)

6 hours ago, Katherine Heartsong said:

Thank you so much for your help!

I may also simply have the items in my store not "buyable" but dispense a note card with information, a link, and instructions about how to purchase it in the Marketplace store. Now I have to figure out the click and "offer a note" scripting thing. :)

Can I ask why you want to do it this way out of interest?  Just in case there is a better way?

I have set it up so that my Marketplace store is now up and running, with screen shots of my work in situ (on the wall) and close up details of the work, and if SL residents want even more up-close they can go to my in world store and have a look at things "live" as it were. So it's working for me atm. Was able to figure out scripting enough to have my in world shop items offer a note card with details about the Marketplace shop and me. Each item is a one-off, is the key. There is one copy of it, and once sold, it's gone to the buyer and no one else ever again.

I see it’s your own artwork.  Personally I think you are making it a little complicated but each to their own!

I would recommend making it mod though.  People have different sized houses etc so non mod mesh is a big headache for buyers and likely will stop somebody buying.  

also the LI for a canvas could be 1 versus 3 did you make the mesh yourself as you can optimIze the LODs to make it efficient :)

Well Charlotte did a great job explaining and I do agree you need to make your paintings 1 land impact. Three will kill sales automatically for many folks as that is not the norm.

I did want to say that I like your work and that was a creative way to show it. You might want to put a close up with a watermark  as an additional photo so that folks can see the paintings better. Unfortunately (from my point of view anyway) a lot of people won't bother to come inworld to look at a demo. 

And thirdly I had to smile at this comment from your listing -- mostly since there was a recent thread on copyrights and rights of purchasers (and I did just shut up as the person wasn't going to listen anyway LOL).   So as a RL artist  I do get the point.  You could ad a resize script in the painting so that it would still be "no mod" but could be resized for different environments.  

image.thumb.png.79f88d52628087e0741fa2c68e3fdb85.png

Another thing you might want to do is join an art group like Kultivate that puts on shows for artists (it's all free). There are some good artists there and some folk just having fun but it doesn't hurt to get some exposure.  And lastly know -- since I am guessing you are new -- that art isn't selling now like it did in the olden days, so if sales aren't what you expect, know it is "not just you" :D. 

• Like 2

22 hours ago, Chic Aeon said:

image.thumb.png.79f88d52628087e0741fa2c68e3fdb85.png

I can mod real world things I buy so not sure how that is equivalent to how things work in the real world. As for MP I wish it was landmark only or at least stores had the option to be landmark only. I feel like MP just funnels you towards things you are looking for and not necessarily things you may be interested in. It's kind of like when you walk through any store, they are specifically designed for you to walk by things you may be interested in. That method is entirely missing in the MP.

Edited by Ultimo Constantineau

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1251 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.